advertisement

System Pics 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the QNAP completely silent? SSDs? No fan?

The QNAP is very quiet - I am using SSD's. It does have a fan but it's extremely quiet - I sit around 6 feet from the HiFi rack and only aware of the fan when I am around a foot away. It is certainly a lot quieter than an Innuos Zen Mini Mk2 that I used to have - that drove me nuts!

Well, it doesn’t say the model number and the name is dark brown against slightly less dark brown ;).

Sorry, I somehow failed to notice that Robby had already posted all the relevant info (probably when I was looking up the model number and then became distracted by what constituted the SE upgrades).

Edit: It’s an interesting speaker the W5. In the review linked to below they found it to be very insensitive at only 79dB! This suggests a high wattage amp is pretty much mandatory and yet the Sugden that Robby is using is only rated at 50wpc into 8 Ohms (though this is said to double into 4 0hms).

https://i.nextmedia.com.au/Assets/boenicke_w5_se_loudspeakers_review_test.pdf

More editing: On further reading I see this from the above review:

Boenicke puts the ‘nominal’ impedance at 4Ω, but it should really be stated as 2.8Ω, or at least 3Ω

As such the Sugden would seem to be an excellent match.

Well, it doesn’t say the model number and the name is dark brown against slightly less dark brown ;).

Sorry, I somehow failed to notice that Robby had already posted all the relevant info (probably when I was looking up the model number and then became distracted by what constituted the SE upgrades).

Edit: It’s an interesting speaker the W5. In the review linked to below they found it to be very insensitive at only 79dB! This suggests a high wattage amp is pretty much mandatory and yet the Sugden that Robby is using is only rated at 50wpc into 8 Ohms (though this is said to double into 4 0hms).

https://i.nextmedia.com.au/Assets/boenicke_w5_se_loudspeakers_review_test.pdf

More editing: On further reading I see this from the above review:

As such the Sugden would seem to be an excellent match.

The Boenicke and Sugden ANV-50 are a remarkable pairing to my ears. The last three amps I had were, on paper, far more powerful ranging from 85 wpc to 250 wpc into 8 ohms with each either doubling or almost doubling into 4ohms.

The Sugden sounds bigger and more controlled than any of them and is absolutely dead silent in operation.

The W5 seems to be quite a difficult load, as well as a nominally low one. Perhaps the Sugden is just better at dealing with this than the other amps you tried.

The Boenicke and Sugden ANV-50 are a remarkable pairing to my ears. The last three amps I had were, on paper, far more powerful ranging from 85 wpc to 250 wpc into 8 ohms with each either doubling or almost doubling into 4ohms.

The Sugden sounds bigger and more controlled than any of them and is absolutely dead silent in operation.
i think it's great when one can find (to ones ears) a fine amp and speaker partnership that work superbly together...the sugden's are lovely looking amps aswell and the boenicke's are just works of art.

Sandy8, some really great pics of your systems and of course, the great outdoors! Thanks for sharing them! By the way, like your Tacos, I have one that is going on 10 years old now, oldy, but goody!

Next step - found a mint HiFi Racks Podium XL (v) on eBay. Not cheap, but saved me £500 over buying a new one.

Final step will be the fireplace removal, but for a combined HiFi / TV setup this works for me.

49405675041_7bba2b1943_c.jpg

Spot the difference.

49489444107_87bb9ccf91_z.jpg

An entirely unintended direction. However, having been seduced by the little ScanSonic MB-1s, I found myself idly looking at the (unaffordable) big siblings from the Raidho stable. One day, one day.

Then I spotted these, second hand. Still way too much.

But that devil had perched himself on my shoulder, and although I didn’t know it, just a few days later his not-so-subtle persuasion would have me picking up the phone...

And today they landed.

Only trouble is that we now need to turn the lounge through 90 degrees to get the speakers and sofa away from the walls. This hadn’t seemed a plan that would work, but I’d not countenanced the idea of not ultimately wall mounting the TV.

D’uh!

So, a quick experiment:

49489514042_5402f97131_z.jpg

(the sofa also pulled away from the back wall).

And initial thoughts of “cracking midrange!” convert to “oh-my-good-grief-these-are-just-all-round-stunning”!

I’m in love.

Very nice Whale! I am sure finding just that right amount of space for the speakers as well as your listening position would be key. Have fun and enjoy! Cracking little speakers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back