advertisement

Subs n Lows

The Amethyst is limited to four channels rather than the 16 or more from the Altitudes. MiniDSP 2x4 for the four subs presented as pairs to the Trinnov. A second miniDSP for the actuatorsl
Did you look at alternatives to the Trinnov - any knowledge of the DEQX stuff?

I‘m starting to think about a final upgrade cycle and looking at merging AV and Hi-Fi or sticking with 2 systems, I want both to use multiple subs, could share.

Multiple MiniDSP was something I'm considering - OK to configure or a pita?

Lots to learn to use the miniDSP and REW but loads of YouTube tutorials. I was using a DSpeaker antinode 2 when an Amethyst came up for sale and I took the gamble and went down the rabbit hole. Don't have any experience with DEQX I'm afraid but, Trinnov is spectacular

I use twin Rel S8/12's with my Amphion 7LS speakers, as I listen to a lot of pipe organ music (it being my 1st love) in my modest music collection the split is roughly 60/40, in favour of the organ

Lots to learn to use the miniDSP and REW but loads of YouTube tutorials. I was using a DSpeaker antinode 2 when an Amethyst came up for sale and I took the gamble and went down the rabbit hole. Don't have any experience with DEQX I'm afraid but, Trinnov is spectacular
Cheers, I demo’d Trinnov but chose a Lyngdorf unit - a long time ago though and much kit has come/gone. Am using an Integra 8.4 Dirac as a stop gap at present. The dealers I use have Lyng, Trinn and Storm products on demo, not heard any DEQX and am curious about it as I’d heard their new kit was on the way.

Do they demo Trinnov's waveforming?
One of the demo rooms is a £quarter mill Trinnov with tiers of seats, had a quick listen last visit, I‘ve been using another simpler room recently cos I was upgrading my Hi-Fi not AV. Last year they put on a couple days to show off the Trinnov unusually with old B&W Nautilus flagships.

Had a few disappointing dual purpose systems after I stupidly moved on from Meridian 500 kit, so split out into 2 separate ones when we bought this house in 2010.

The Amethyst is limited to four channels rather than the 16 or more from the Altitudes. MiniDSP 2x4 for the four subs presented as pairs to the Trinnov. A second miniDSP for the actuators
Serious stuff. I heard the Trinnov in a studio control room, B&W801s and some subs (do not recall what), and a properly acoustically treated space. What the Trinnov did was quite remarkable in tightening up the sound and getting things ‘right’, and there was no low hanging fruit acoustically to correct, it was already a good room.

I'm in the midst of carnage as I'm decorating and treating my room. The the fun of dialling the subs back in before giving them to the Trinnov Optimiser. I cross over around 80Hz, even though the NS2000 go way lower. Multi sub to try to get a flat response. Lots of changes going on as I race against deafness 🙃

Just an update on my quest for a sub that many of you helped me with a few weeks ago. As a Sub novice it was greatly appreciated.
I have ordered an SVS SB1000 Pro. Managed to talk the Mrs round (fairly easily actually) when I told her the black ash colour would blend in beautifully with the hifi equipment rack/vinyl + CD storage cabinet. She even agreed to let me place it on the floor as opposed to within the cabinet, which she had previously said was a condition of getting one. She's no doubt going to ask me for something in return and is playing the long game lol.
Anyway just wanted to say thanks for all the advice and recommendations, which I may or may not need more of when it arrives!

Just an update on my quest for a sub that many of you helped me with a few weeks ago. As a Sub novice it was greatly appreciated.
I have ordered an SVS SB1000 Pro. Managed to talk the Mrs round (fairly easily actually) when I told her the black ash colour would blend in beautifully with the hifi equipment rack/vinyl + CD storage cabinet. She even agreed to let me place it on the floor as opposed to within the cabinet, which she had previously said was a condition of getting one. She's no doubt going to ask me for something in return and is playing the long game lol.
Anyway just wanted to say thanks for all the advice and recommendations, which I may or may not need more of when it arrives!
When she asks you for something, negotiate for a second sub :)

They only went and sent the wrong colour lol. Opened the box, took off the protective cover and thought to myself that looks quite shiny. Checked the box and it's Piano Gloss Black and not Black Ash. Contacted the shop and they will arrange for DPD to pick up and swap over, but not till Wednesday:(

What is the difference between Dual drivers and Single Drivers? Does Dual 8" have the same capabilities as a Single 16"?
SPL depends on volume displacement of the driver, and if excursions are the same, it comes down to the effective area of the cone. So two 8 inch drivers will have roughly the same area and, therefore, SPL as a 10 or 11 inch driver, assuming identical excursions. You need four 8 inch drivers to equal a single 16 inch, assuming X max is the same. Typically, however, larger diameter drivers have larger X max values.

Regards the SVS pro range has anyone used one in a Naim system? (Nac282/HiCap)

I have read that to use at line level a “special” lead will be needed with a built in resistor, where would one of these be purchased?

Did you look at alternatives to the Trinnov - any knowledge of the DEQX stuff?

I‘m starting to think about a final upgrade cycle and looking at merging AV and Hi-Fi or sticking with 2 systems, I want both to use multiple subs, could share.

Multiple MiniDSP was something I'm considering - OK to configure or a pita?
Trinnov has the best off the shelf DRC. Tact, Lyngdorf, DEQX, Dirac are not as user friendly and
/or effective. With a plethora of inputs, and outstanding versatility, the Amethyst is the best all round preamp on the market. Nothing else comes close. The only downside is price, but not compared to e.g. Linn and Naim. From time to time Amethysts show up on the used market, that lessens the pain.

See: https://echohifi.com/details/20349/Trinnov_Amethyst

Trinnov has a new range of processors that can handle multiple subs.

Look up MSO if you want to run multiple subs.

Agree

SVS 3000 micro with a dual 8” drivers goes down to 23Hz with -3dB, quite tiny compared to others too but bit above OP budget.
Bass extension by itself, i.e. -3, 6 or 10 dB points, is meaningless unless the woofer can produce useful output at those frequencies. So a compact dual 8” woofer may well go down to 23 Hz, - 3 dB, but is not likely to produce very much distortion free output. To produce reasonably loud deep bass requires a lot more SPL than folks think. Have a look at the Equal loudness curves here:

James Larson’s reviews on Audioholics are the best, perhaps only, source of subwoofer data.

Bass extension by itself, i.e. -3, 6 or 10 dB points, is meaningless unless the woofer can produce useful output at those frequencies. So a compact dual 8” woofer may well go down to 23 Hz, - 3 dB, but is not likely to produce very much distortion free output. To produce reasonably loud deep bass requires a lot more SPL than folks think. Have a look at the Equal loudness curves here:

James Larson’s reviews on Audioholics are the best, perhaps only, source of subwoofer data.
Yes , I haven't mentioned at what SPL level -3dB point was , 23-240Hz +/-3dB @90dB , 2m ground plane and I'd expect measurement being taken at reasonable distortion levels but when choosing adequate subwoofer one need to consider average listening levels and room size and what is the purpose of the subwoofer in specific application as in my case subwoofers were used to flatten frequency response and minimize decay times rather than reaching lowest depths and opening another Pandora's box

90dB intensity at 23 Hz = 40 dB SPL perceived loudness at 1000Hz. Fortunately, there’s very little really deep bass in most recorded music, pipe organs excepted.

That's why I linked to the equal loudness curves.

advertisement

Back