advertisement

Stylus cleaning... reccomendations

Until everyone can afford a handheld electron microscope this and threads about stylus wear are just harmless fun ;)

I’d not put that crap anywhere near a cartridge I owned! A marketing strategy from a company/dealer network that wanted folk to change cartridge far more often!

That's the way I feel about the gooey blob cleaners.

If I may remain OT for another post here, @Tony L.

I wasn't meaning to discount all of AKGs cartridge design work as simple copies. In fact, they developed what must be the most interesting alternative to tie wire cantilever suspension tensioner with MM/MI types.

As history, going back to the early 1970s, audio-technica had two similar none VM series, one of which (called AT-21) relied completely upon the damper as both suspension damper and pivot/attachment point, with no cantilever tensioning tie wire that required hand tuning (of tension) for best sound. Rega are the only cartridge maker I know of who have continued in this vein with their MMs, no doubt, aided by the many advances in polymer science since A-T's attempt.

Getting back to AKG, they came up with what they described as a 360º 'knife edge' bearing as pivot point (albeit one that doesn't directly contact the cantilever), leaving out the tie wire yet still keeping the cantilever axis of rotation from drifting. Basically, an aperture hole within a metal plate acts as both cantilever locator and axis of rotation point, aided by the combination of a compliant grommet/gland ring between cantilever tube and metal aperture plate, with a tiny 'bog plunger' diaphragm as primary axis of rotation damper behind. AKG dubbed this 'TS-System', a picture is worth a thousand blog words...

AKG TS-System:
TS.jpg

Reminds me of something, can't quite place it...

MYZ_20300.jpg

Yeh, suck the dirt off rather than blow (sorry couldnt resist). Might need a slightly smaller plunger though.

Before you use a gel or magic eraser type stylus cleaner watch the video on You Tube about these types leaving residue on the stylus.
Video on the YT channel "The Vinyl Attack".

I did a search on "Vinyl Attack" and saw the YT video where he speaks about the Gel but couldn't find where he speaks warning about the Magic Sponge? ...Can you help point me to it?, Thanks.

Precisely what I've been banging on about in many previous threads, Dec.except that I was referring to Vinyl Passion Dust Buster, which seems similar, at least in operation. The canti. is not designed to be pulled up and I became concerned after just a few applications. However slowly and carefully you lift, it still holds the canti. until the stylus is ready to decouple.

Not sure if that's a feather in the 637's cap for durability or that you have an arcane healing touch. :)
Thanks Mike, as ever I bow to your wisdom borne of long experience. Re the 637, I think I just got lucky and believe me I was about to go into official mourning over it.

I did a search on "Vinyl Attack" and saw the YT video where he speaks about the Gel but couldn't find where he speaks warning about the Magic Sponge? ...Can you help point me to it?, Thanks.

Not absolutely sure but I think its called "The Magic Eraser" rather than sponge.(Personally I have had zero issues using a combination of the VP Dustbuster and a battery operated AT 637 ultrasonic cleaner.) Try researching Magic Eraser, interested if you find anything. Good luck

Not absolutely sure but I think its called "The Magic Eraser" rather than sponge.(Personally I have had zero issues using a combination of the VP Dustbuster and a battery operated AT 637 ultrasonic cleaner.) Try researching Magic Eraser, interested if you find anything. Good luck

Mr Clean Magic Eraser is sort of somewhere between a sponge and a block of foam. I use them to clean the bathtub. I wouldn't let one near a phono stylus, looks like a recipe to snag something and pull it off.

Not the Linn abrasive paper stuff? I’d not put that crap anywhere near a cartridge I owned! A marketing strategy from a company/dealer network that wanted folk to change cartridge far more often! I’m astonished anyone bought into it! If the Dynavector stuff is different then fine, but the Linn stuff was one of the dumbest fashions of the 1980s and should be left there!
I'm not sure what it is, it came with the cartridge. I've only used it maybe a dozen wipes ever as I keep my records clean

I used a dustbuster for a while but now just focus on keeping records clean and the occasional stylus clean with a brush. The one I use most now is the brush that came with a Hana cartridge, it's longer and much softer than the typical carbon fibre brushes that come with Ortofon and DV cartridges.

stylus cleaning,it amazes me how dirty they get here and thats with a US machine and wet vac in use .

There's a replicant 100 there somewhere:)

UhtqTIh.jpg

ortofon brush used and its getting better.

KrADtkc.jpg

better still using jeweller's putty.

im54nxv.jpg

A reminder as to what a ridiculous way of listening to.music this is. Be not offended, I have a turntable ! I use that Vinyl Attraction putty, so perhaps similar to jewellers putty ?

<moderating>

I’ve merged the two recent threads, there are actually a lot more, but given this one is recent and has some good content we may as well extend it.

Yeah, I've promised a few friends photos about cleaning styli with the Flux, this just might make me dedicate some time to it. :)

Just bought the Vinyl Passion pot from MCRU and impressed how well it works. Records are cleaned before with Disco Antistat.

advertisement

Back