advertisement

Stylus cleaning... reccomendations

I am surprised no-one has mentioned one thing that I use every day for fluff, & that is a camera lens air puffer. No physical contact & works beautifully.

I use one occasionally when I can see some debris that wasn’t there at the needle drop. Mostly rely of the AT thingy. My ‘Cartridge Man’ that is ‘resting’ currently is really clean and I don’t use a record cleaner.

If I may remain OT for another post here, @Tony L.

I wasn't meaning to discount all of AKGs cartridge design work as simple copies. In fact, they developed what must be the most interesting alternative to tie wire cantilever suspension tensioner with MM/MI types.

As history, going back to the early 1970s, audio-technica had two similar none VM series, one of which (called AT-21) relied completely upon the damper as both suspension damper and pivot/attachment point, with no cantilever tensioning tie wire that required hand tuning (of tension) for best sound. Rega are the only cartridge maker I know of who have continued in this vein with their MMs, no doubt, aided by the many advances in polymer science since A-T's attempt.

Getting back to AKG, they came up with what they described as a 360º 'knife edge' bearing as pivot point (albeit one that doesn't directly contact the cantilever), leaving out the tie wire yet still keeping the cantilever axis of rotation from drifting. Basically, an aperture hole within a metal plate acts as both cantilever locator and axis of rotation point, aided by the combination of a compliant grommet/gland ring between cantilever tube and metal aperture plate, with a tiny 'bog plunger' diaphragm as primary axis of rotation damper behind. AKG dubbed this 'TS-System', a picture is worth a thousand blog words...

AKG TS-System:
TS.jpg

Last edited:
Clearaudio Elixir of Sound Stylus Cleaner here for a few years, as recommended to me by the late Derick Jenkins. However I have always wondered about the efficacy of liquid and soft brush, having been indoctrinated to Linn green paper years before that (several cart changes since then).

I have missed out on the AT 637 on Ebay a few times, where pricing has seemed a bit steep. I have just taken the plunge on the Goldring version linked to above, so will see what that does.

Cheers

Before you use a gel or magic eraser type stylus cleaner watch the video on You Tube about these types leaving residue on the stylus.
Video on the YT channel "The Vinyl Attack".

I’ve been using Rodico for the last two decades. It came recommended by Expert Stylus who used to provide it with their cartridge rebuilds. Every three sides I place the stylus in it and as you can see from the photo, it removes gunk from the stylus.

q9G56y9.jpg

I wanted to update this thread regarding vibrating cleaners in general as I just got a reply from EMT themselves (in relation to my TSD MRB).
  • We recommend a dry brush but not a liquid cleaner.
  • Please understand for any 3rd party cleaning equipment, we cannot give any advise.
Seems I will be skipping the Flux Hifi. I am not saying that it does not work properly, I just would not risk going against manufacturers advice.

Rodico is probably pretty good/harmless being designed for watchmaking/servicing where leaving any grease or other traces is obviously highly undesirable. I enjoy watching several YouTube watch repair channels so am very aware of it and I suspect I’d trust it over ZeroDust at present given the recent scares. It is so tried and tested in its field, every watchmaker uses it. I’ll personally still stick with my AT637 as it has never put a foot wrong in 40 years and I far prefer something I can cue the stylus onto than have to hold myself.

PS Affiliated Amazon Rodico link for those who wish to support pfm.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
You could affix Rodico to a coin and place it on your platter if you’re concerned about hand steadiness. I’ve used it on several cartridges over the years with no issues.

I hold the stick in my left hand with my hand resting on the plinth, I then lower the stylus onto the rodico a couple times with my right hand and that’s it.

Last edited:
I’ve been using Rodico for the last two decades. It came recommended by Expert Stylus who used to provide it with their cartridge rebuilds. Every three sides I place the stylus in it and as you can see from the photo, it removes gunk from the stylus.

q9G56y9.jpg
I’m terrified of that stuff. I lowered the tip on a vdH cart onto it then watched the cantilever pull down as I tried to lift the arm back up and the tip remained stuck for a moment. I wonder if there’s an ideal temperature/ pliability point. Any thoughts?

I got my AT637 out of the bottom of a box after recent house move and it wouldn’t work even after battery swap and contact clean and was about to mourn the passing of one of my longest owned hifi bits and look for a replacement, then magically with a twist of the battery it came back to life.

Rodico is probably pretty good/harmless being designed for watchmaking/servicing where leaving any grease or other traces is obviously highly undesirable. I enjoy watching several YouTube watch repair channels so am very aware of it and I suspect I’d trust it over ZeroDust at present given the recent scares. It is so tried and tested in its field, every watchmaker uses it. I’ll personally still stick with my AT637 as it has never put a foot wrong in 40 years and I far prefer something I can cue the stylus onto than have to hold myself.

PS Affiliated Amazon Rodico link for those who wish to support pfm.
AT could make a killing if they relaunched the 637. I’d buy one and keep my old one as a spare.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’m terrified of that stuff. I lowered the tip on a vdH cart onto it then watched the cantilever pull down as I tried to lift the arm back up and the tip remained stuck for a moment. I wonder if there’s an ideal temperature/ pliability point. Any thoughts?

I got my AT637 out of the bottom of a box after recent house move and it wouldn’t work even after battery swap and contact clean and was about to mourn the passing of one of my longest owned hifi bits and look for a replacement, then magically with a twist of the battery it came back to life.
Don’t use it.

Precisely what I've been banging on about in many previous threads, Dec.except that I was referring to Vinyl Passion Dust Buster, which seems similar, at least in operation. The canti. is not designed to be pulled up and I became concerned after just a few applications. However slowly and carefully you lift, it still holds the canti. until the stylus is ready to decouple.

Not sure if that's a feather in the 637's cap for durability or that you have an arcane healing touch. :)

I used to use an AT637 but since I've changed to a Dynavector who say not to use it and supply green stuff with the cartridge for the job so I've been using that since and the AT637 is in a drawer somewhere.

I used to use an AT637 but since I've changed to a Dynavector who say not to use it and supply green stuff with the cartridge for the job so I've been using that since and the AT637 is in a drawer somewhere.

Not the Linn abrasive paper stuff? I’d not put that crap anywhere near a cartridge I owned! A marketing strategy from a company/dealer network that wanted folk to change cartridge far more often! I’m astonished anyone bought into it! If the Dynavector stuff is different then fine, but the Linn stuff was one of the dumbest fashions of the 1980s and should be left there!

Are there really those that still use Linn green stuff (so an 'abrasive paper') on their 'diamond' cartridge tips!

advertisement

Back