advertisement

Streaming is inferior to redbook CD playback?

Keith, i always enjoy your no nonsense posts.
Question for you.
I take it you sell streamers at different price/quality points.
That being said do they sound different/better?
I remember people thinking all cdps sounded the same which is obviously untrue.
No not really I have the cheapest Lumin here because it is convenient, the Roon nucleus sounds no different to my Macbook again just more convenient I have in the past commissioned two ‘audiophile’ computers/streamers again no difference into the same dac.
Unless a CDP is adding audible distortion they will sound all the same.
Keith

@Dowser But what has your post #83 to do with my statement = disagree with what I say? To me a external DAC doesn't necessarily add jitter and a streaming based system doesn't have to sound foggy or out of rhythm as Sonic stated.

Your post doesn't respond to that two statements IMO.

sorry, have corrected my post - meant to quote Sonci :)

Unless a CDP is adding audible distortion they will sound all the same.
Keith
There's a lot more chance for a streamer to add distortion, than a cd player. A cd player is a disc that spins and a buffer, in a streaming network there are switches, router, Lan cables, Linux os, smartphones apk etc.
The fact that you cannot pick level matched or double blind in audio, it doesn't mean every dac sound the same. I think a lot of us are being brainwashed by audiosciencereview.
If I like the sound of an old multibit cd player, it doesn't mean that I like distortion. You cannot sort Dacs by their sinad numbers, these are not GPUs or CPUs,

I don't see why a dealer would say that if they didn't believe it. Streamers are a lot easier to sell these days than CD players.
Indeed, I know a couple of dealers who prefer CD and tell people so fully in the knowledge that they’re being considerably less commercial. Although I respect their opinion, I can’t get my head round it at all as I’ve always felt CD was a horrible format full stop, irrespective of the sound quality. Better than cassette though, I suppose which it largely replaced for me.

There's a lot more chance for a streamer to add distortion, than a cd player. A cd player is a disc that spins and a buffer, in a streaming network there are switches, router, Lan cables, Linux os, smartphones apk etc.

Hmm, I'd say there was a lot more chance for a rotating disc to add distortion. Dirt on the lens, dirt on the CD, manufacturing blemish, motor fault, oxidisation of the metallic layer of the disc. And that's just to get the data off the disc, it still has to be processed by a DAC.

Tim

The fact that you cannot pick level matched or double blind in audio, it doesn't mean every dac sound the same. I think a lot of us are being brainwashed by audiosciencereview.
If I like the sound of an old multibit cd player, it doesn't mean that I like distortion. You cannot sort Dacs by their sinad numbers, these are not GPUs or CPUs,
+1 for old multibit cd players..

So you mean you are worried about things in the chain that are designed for the transfer of data?

You understand that the packet checksum means the payload data can't be modified by any of those things right?

You might conceivably get jitter I guess if your home network is saturated - but seems pretty unlikely.

A cd player is a disc that spins and a buffer,

Yeh - add a few wires - nothing to it really - how could distortion or noise possibly get in?
:D

IMG_5512.JPG

Yeh - add a few wires - nothing to it really - how could distortion or noise possibly get in?
:D

IMG_5512.JPG
Yes that is, a lot more simple than a Linn streamer.
Of course the data transmission over network is pretty solid, 10110 wil be alwayes 10110, but the timing of the transmission may not be the same as the source.
Cd players were built for music reproduction, when music did matter and sell, networks are not.

Yes that is, a lot more simple than a Linn streamer.
Of course the data transmission over network is pretty solid, 10110 wil be alwayes 10110, but the timing of the transmission may not be the same as the source.
Cd players were built for music reproduction, when music did matter and sell, networks are not.
Sounds like a mental issue to me.
You could always bypass the cable & switch if you were that worried & go WiFi but then you have air contamination to worry about.

And how is this relevant? How does it show that cd reproduction is better than streaming?
This is just word salad based on your imagination. Do show us the mechanism by which those things create distortion. Provide the evidence that network timing errors are a problem in sound reproduction.

To be fair I also tend to prefer using purpose built hardware rather than a computer when I can. I much prefer recording audio into a hardware recorder than into a laptop. It just tends to be (not always!) a simpler process with less to go wrong. And hardware recorders tend not to need constant software updates etc. In my case it's really just about ease of use though not audio quality.

My imac sounds identical.playing ripped lossless files into my dac as the cd spinning in a 90s audiolab transport into the same dac.

I don't 'stream' from music providers and certainly wouldn't claim to make any useful compassion via files of unknown origin if i did.

If the dacs rejection of noise and jitter is good enough no difference exists.

advertisement

Back