advertisement

Streaming is inferior to redbook CD playback?

Had a Linn CD12 back in the day, which was thought to be a decent enough CD player. Switched to streaming many years ago, firstly my own rips, then downloads, then streams from Qobuz. Everything is better about streaming imo; the sound quality, the convenience, the enjoyment of music, the value for money. Listened to Pavel Haas Quartet playing the Brahms Piano Quintet last night from Qobuz, happened to be in 24/192, took the lid off my brain, still almost shaking from the intensity of it.

Yes all cds are better, unless they are shabby recordings, however most of my listening is qobuz. I like the new music and it does sound good but not as good as cd!

Interesting. If I find the differences small and inconsistent from one CD (not evening) to the next, but you find it consistent, it may just be showing my ears are older. As an alternative, might it be that your CD is just better?

FWIW, even when the CD is one I am sure is better, I still often listen to the whole album on Qobuz HR, quite satisfied, before I remember. The huge range on offer, plus laziness, means I too stream a lot. For more serious listening (e.g. when not trying to converse over it), I still reach first for vinyl if I have it, so my CD listening is the bit that has declined as streaming expanded, but that is not because I found streaming better.

Just a general impression is that for the CDs I own, their sound is generally fuller with better spread of frequencies compared to Qobuz, CD quality or high res. My equipment isn’t high end (Node 2i through a Qutest Vs Exposure 3010 CD). I didn’t get on with Tidal HR.

I wish the Qobuz had an interface on par with Spotify, which I find intuitive.

Interesting. If I find the differences small and inconsistent from one CD (not evening) to the next, but you find it consistent, it may just be showing my ears are older. As an alternative, might it be that your CD is just better?

FWIW, even when the CD is one I am sure is better, I still often listen to the whole album on Qobuz HR, quite satisfied, before I remember. The huge range on offer, plus laziness, means I too stream a lot. For more serious listening (e.g. when not trying to converse over it), I still reach first for vinyl if I have it, so my CD listening is the bit that has declined as streaming expanded, but that is not because I found streaming better.
Same here, I really like all the new music or music i havent heard before on qobuz.
Im quite happy with the sound from qobuz and I own a few dacs so i swap them about sometimes for a different flavour of sound..i cant imagine not having qobuz now..i have hundreds of songs saved to my favourites and 99% of these songs are ones i never knew before..when an album finishes qobuz then plays songs similar to the album.. I find i listen to that quite a lot and save songs i like..music i would never listen to otherwise! No complaints from me

advertisement

Back