advertisement

Stock Market 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick comment from the construction side - material delivery times that are proving perhaps more problematic than the expected rise in tender returns; I've two projects, one heading to site shortly, one already in progress, for the the cladding supplier -for a product made in the UK -sent an email just before the bank-holiday announcing that delivery dates for new orders now starts at end ofQ1 2022. Great. The job in progress (tendered last November) was due to install it from Sept this year...

Contractors' buyers are reporting this kind of growth in demand: https://www.constructionenquirer.com/2021/06/04/construction-buyers-report-phenomenal-month-in-may/

I had a few days off this week and, after a lot of study, made a major decision start to convert both our ISAs to focus 100% on the uranium mining sector. That will be about 17% of our total family portfolio at today's prices. As I mentioned upstream in this thread (or was it the 2020 thread), I was planning to do something like this later in 2021 transferring once my bp & Shell investments had gone up, but it looks like major private sector and public funds are starting to get interested in uranium, so will be selling some UK bank shares to fund as they have gone up considerably faster. I will hang on to my bp & Shell shares as the oil price is looking frothy and they should eventually reach their pre-covid values by Q3/Q4. Looks like there will be an accelerated squeeze on the uranium spot market supply driving up the spot price (which has been in the doldrums since the Fukushima disaster). Toronto-based Sprott Asset Management will now buy up spot market shares from July/August which is as soon as they are legally able. Others are trying to buy in in anticipation. The main beneficiary of this is the long suffering mining sector....the current uranium spot price is lower than majority of smaller miners are able to produce at, leading many of them to stop producing. Add to this the secondary supply of uranium onto the spot market (from recycled nuclear weapons and mothballed Japanese/German reactors post-Fukushima which have kept the price low) is now dropping off. This combines with >50 new reactors coming onstream in the next decade with old reactors being kept commissioned (as they are now increasingly deemed as low carbon energy). The major risk to this strategy is another Fukushima-type disaster.....other than that, it's the most asymmetric investment case that I can see. To put the market into size-context, the market cap of all publicly traded uranium mining companies is between that of the currently-traded GME and AMC values!

Rana, it is great to have strong conviction in your investments but just be sure to remain diversified and don’t get to heavily into a single investment theme. That way lies potential disaster if it all goes wrong!

Yes, understood. It's 17% of the total portfolio....but 100% of ISA funds. However, as values are still a very long way off the pre-Fukushima levels, potential value destruction is actually quite limited.

Uranium is a cheap metal most of it lies in the Earths core and helps to keep it warm.

The expensive stuff isotope 235 is due to the huge cost of extraction of the minute amount present, Compare that to Tritium also radioactive and very expensive - its an isotope of Hydrogen and is extracted from water. I believe that latter will be used in fusion reactors so the price of water will go through the roof won't it?

Fun no?

DV

This guys style might grate on some but he actually knows the car world very well:

TSLA share price may continue to climb but what's it really built on? It is a cult...

He's done follow up videos too.

Let's wait for the Cyber truck later this year (??!). If any other car manufacturer (or any company actually) made this many bullshit claims they wouldn't last a year.
Billionaires plaything.

Just had a over the fence chat to my car dealer neighbour. He's reached his annual sales target already. No surprises there!!

US house construction is very different to Europe, I am amazed when I watch US home renovation TV programs how they use lightweight timber framing for nearly everything. It's hard to compete with that.

US house construction is very different to Europe, I am amazed when I watch US home renovation TV programs how they use lightweight timber framing for nearly everything. It's hard to compete with that.

The same in Oz. Was talking to my dad last night and he said the big housebuilders working on the Development he lives in have stopped laying foundations. There's no point as they can't afford to build the rest of the house at current material prices.

That'll sort out the supply/demand balance but there's going to be some pain the meantime because their economy is addicted to house building...

^^ Which means there will be big falls in demand for labour. We’re all still tripping, the cold turkey will not be pleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back