advertisement

Stock Market 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking of flying, TUI has done well since the Rights Issue. I'm surprised how sentiment has changed so fast. Same with CCL. I bought both on a '**** it' moment in Dec.

Has the vaccine rollout situation suddenly improved. I'm confused?

I'm trying to resist the urge to take profits as want to "hold" onto my (supposedly) good stuff for long term dividends/gains.

I keep thinking about good old CINE that I jumped ship on too early (it's up 70% since)

Out of interest, what do they do in CH?

In CH there is no such thing as stamp duty for house purchases
You pay capital gains tax upon sale of your house including your main residence (i think the amount reduces the longer you own the property, to stop flipping)
You have to pay income tax on the notional rental income of the property (irrespective of whether it is rented out or if you are owner occupier).
You have to pay an annual wealth tax on your worldwide assets including the value of your house (we pay 0.46% per year)
Your mortgage is offset against your assets for the wealth tax calculation.
The mortgage goes with the house, not the owner. it is possible to buy a house along with the mortgage from the previous owners
It is normal to keep the mortgage into retirement, there is no requirement to pay it off
Mortgage rates are very low (currently around 1%)
You can offset the cost of maintainence and renovation against your taxable income
Non resident foreign nationals cannot own more than one house (to stop property speculation)

I think that about covers it.

Andy,
I‘de recommend you read through this thread again from the start when you find some time. I cannot count the „wouddas“ and „shouddas“ anymore.

If you believe the world will return back to normal at some point, then buy Cine,Tui,Carnival, and.....wait till the world turns normal again! Where‘s the point if flipping back and forth every few blips?

If you believe we‘re all doomed, get a bit of gold, some commodities, and big essential companies that will survive through it all.

If you‘re unsure and sort of in the middle, drip feed into stable giants with solid dividends. You can pick up lots of good stuff outside the tech world right now.

^^^ Yes, I think my holdings are about half way to where I want to be long term. Last year was a once in a decade opportunity so 'trading' that era was a no brainer. The volatile stuff has gone from over 50% of my holding last year to about 20% now but there's still a few nuggets being thrown up.

I'd say a few following this thread did well last year...agree?

Hopefully they went heavy on Silver at the very least as I sure wasn't chopping and changing on that one ;)

You pay capital gains tax upon sale of your house including your main residence (i think the amount reduces the longer you own the property, to stop flipping)
You have to pay income tax on the notional rental income of the property (irrespective of whether it is rented out or if you are owner occupier).
You have to pay an annual wealth tax on your worldwide assets including the value of your house (we pay 0.46% per year)
The mortgage goes with the house, not the owner. it is possible to buy a house along with the mortgage from the previous owners
It is normal to keep the mortgage into retirement, there is no requirement to pay it off
You can offset the cost of maintainence and renovation against your taxable income
Non resident foreign nationals cannot own more than one house (to stop property speculation)

Jesus christ I have literally no idea what any of that means lol

There would be riots in the streets if some of these were attempted in the UK! Presumably you need very significant wealth in order to retire. It also explains why the last time I was in Zurich, I nearly fell off my chair when receiving the restaurant bill! It’s a very, very expensive country, we know nothing about high costs in the UK!

There would be riots in the streets if some of these were attempted in the UK! Presumably you need very significant wealth in order to retire. It also explains why the last time I was in Zurich, I nearly fell off my chair when receiving the restaurant bill! It’s a very, very expensive country, we know nothing about high costs in the UK!

i forgot something. You need a minumum 20 % deposit to get a mortgage.

for this and the reasons above, only a minority of people buy a house, something like 30%. Most people rent their whole lives, however renting is far more regulated than in the UK and it is very hard for the landlord to evict tenants, so much more secure.

Don’t forget that people earn much more over here, the average swiss salary is CHF 78,000 per year so eating out is relativey cheap compared to salary. I would also say thay over here houses are cheaper relative to salaries than in the UK because the taxation side keeps a lid on house prices.

Most government policies in the UK (and my homeland Oz) are designed to inflate house prices.

Any policy that might deflate house prices leads to rent increase, i.e. ramping up taxes on BTL.

People have way too much of their wealth tied up in their house.

It's been a mess for over two decades really and the end result will be more social unrest.

for this and the reasons above, only a minority of people buy a house, something like 30%. Most people rent their whole lives, however renting is far more regulated than in the UK and it is very hard for the landlord to evict tenants, so much more secure.

Ah, that’s the game changers!

I'm sure more UK people would consider being lifelong renters if the market was more secure or better regulated in their favour.

I'm sure more UK people would consider being lifelong renters if the market was more secure or better regulated in their favour.

They do that in Germany and it lets people live nearer their work and less commute stress. The current UK model is getting more broken by the day...applies to lots of other countries

I would absolutely love to have long term tenants (5 or 10 years +). The challenge is the nature of the UK rental market is short term. People don’t want to commit, one of the benefits of renting is the flexibility it offers.

Don’t forget that people earn much more over here, the average swiss salary is CHF 78,000 per year so eating out is relativey cheap compared to salary. I would also say thay over here houses are cheaper relative to salaries than in the UK because the taxation side keeps a lid on house prices.

This is an interesting article. CH no 2. UK way down, behind Ireland. We’re relatively poor!

https://apple.news/AfquwweRJRu-1w8izKY4NDA

I would absolutely love to have long term tenants (5 or 10 years +). The challenge is the nature of the UK rental market is short term. People don’t want to commit, one of the benefits of renting is the flexibility it offers.

long term rents are completely normal here. Most people stay at least 5 years, some stay most of their lives. It is very hard to increase rent once you have a tenant. There are plenty of cases of little old ladies who have rentals in desirable parts of cities such as by the lake in zurich who have been there forever on a very low rent compared to current prices. if the apartment would be rented again the rent would be way higher!

long term rents are completely normal here. Most people stay at least 5 years, some stay most of their lives. It is very hard to increase rent once you have a tenant. There are plenty of cases of little old ladies who have rentals in desirable parts of cities such as by the lake in zurich who have been there forever on a very low rent compared to current prices. if the apartment would be rented again the rent would be way higher!

Sounds good to me, for both tenants and landlords. It would flush out the bad landlords (and tenants) and raise standards. It costs a fortune to change tenants when they come and go, I’d much rather have a fixed and reliable income from a decent long term tenant. The old lady by the lake in Zurich is no different to the one in Notting Hill. The issue I have with this and previous UK govts is that every intervention or ‘help’ increases the cost of housing, whether you are buying or renting.

Tesla's flying...I should have "bought the dip"!!!

Flying into a brick wall! Bloodbath today. This afternoon is going to be brutal. Still, good buying opportunities if you can hold your nerve. This evening, I shall go long on red wine.

Well, good thing I have a long term outlook. Wiped out 3 months worth of gains I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back