advertisement

Stock Market 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
a-sad-joke.jpg

4fg0ipew7uc41.jpg

TSLA SP seems to have found some temporary support but I just hope investors really look at the fundamentals here and not the FOMO.

That would require the whole TSLA / BTC thing not to be a cult. Mind you, I shouldn’t think Musk will lose any sleep, fair play to him!

TSLA dropping like a stone.

I guess it's P/E is only what 1000 now...still 30x that of Apple (and Apple SP sure is looking funky ATM)!!

You're seeing a future chapter in economics books being writing as we speak this week IMO.

why are you so obsessed with Tesla?

Shares from other companies are available, if you don’t like Tesla, don’t buy it.

why are you so obsessed with Tesla?

Shares from other companies are available, if you don’t like Tesla, don’t buy it.

As I have said before, they are indicative of some wider things happening in the market ATM.

Anyone got any recommendations for a good managed stock ISA? I don’t want to get involved with managing/buying/selling etc, so something simple and ideally not too UK-centric. I’ve already got some savings in a managed building society account which is split across various Fidelity products, and I’ve been very happy with that so far, it has done way better than cash. I’d just like something similar elsewhere to park a bit more money and spread-bet a little. Any pointers?

Tony, I would suggest to open an isa with Hargreaves Lansdown. There is a huge choice of funds are available, the website is very user friendly. You do pay a bit more in management charges, but the level of service is worth it in my opinion.

whats the main advantage of HL? It is very easy and free to switch funds if you are unhappy with the performance of the current one. Regarding funds, actually, the UK market is very cheap at the moment compared to other markets and is likely to outperform short term. HL have some recommended funds but i think Lindsell Train have a good UK fund.

If you don’t want to stick with the UK, i would choose a global fund run by Fundsmith or Lindsell Train. Something from Baillie gifford would also be an excellent choice, but they are heavily tech weighted and are likely to underperform in the short term as tech is overpriced currently. It would be well worth buying in after the markets drop though. These investments should be viewed as long term investments though.

Take a look t HL and come back to us with some funds from their recommended list and we can let you know if they are any good!

Tony, I would suggest to open an isa with Hargreaves Lansdown. There is a huge choice of funds are available, the website is very user friendly. You do pay a bit more in management charges, but the level of service is worth it in my opinion.

Their ‘Portfolio+‘ thing looks pretty much what I’m after. Basically I don’t want to get involved in running anything at all, I just want to buy into something as I have a reasonable sum sitting around that is making nothing at all at present. It’s long-term, five years minimum, more likely 10+, just money I want to stash towards a better house later in life. I’ve not used any of this year’s tax free ISA allocation so I’m looking to get something solid in place by year-end. I’ve been very happy with the Fidelity stock stuff I got through the building society about 5-6 years ago, that seems to have done about 4 to 4.8% in the year Jan to Jan judging from the last statement.

Their ‘Portfolio+‘ thing looks pretty much what I’m after. Basically I don’t want to get involved in running anything at all, I just want to buy into something as I have a reasonable sum sitting around that is making nothing at all at present. It’s long-term, five years minimum, more likely 10+, just money I want to stash towards a better house later in life. I’ve not used any of this year’s tax free ISA allocation so I’m looking to get something solid in place by year-end. I’ve been very happy with the Fidelity stock stuff I got through the building society about 5-6 years ago, that seems to have done about 4 to 4.8% in the year Jan to Jan judging from the last statement.

Just watch their management charges for that service, think they’re pretty high. If I was looking for a fund to serve that purpose, I think I’d just shove it in Fundsmith Equity (which I hold) and forget about it. Terry Smith knows his stuff. His methodology is to buy quality companies, don’t overpay and do nothing. It works.

Hi Tony,

I would like to steer you away from those portfolios, the charges are high and the performance (once you can actually get through to the numbers) are dire. 20% growth in 5 years for the balanced portfolio is rubbish.

I would still recommend to choose some of the funds we have mentioned already.

Vanguard offer the best VFM for index tracking funds. I would recommend "Vanguard FTSE Developed World ex-U.K. Equity Index Fund GBP, IAcc+ GB00B59G4Q73:GBP" . Performance is top notch for a commercial index fund over last 5 years (almost 100% gain) but with only 0.15% per annum fee.

Thanks, will have a look at Fundsmith Equity & Vanguard. As I say the key thing is I don’t want to get involved, I just want to dump and forget until I need it!

Vanguard offer the best VFM for index tracking funds. I would recommend "Vanguard FTSE Developed World ex-U.K. Equity Index Fund GBP, IAcc+ GB00B59G4Q73:GBP" . Performance is top notch for a commercial index fund over last 5 years (almost 100% gain) but with only 0.15% per annum fee.

I’m a bit toppy on UK equities (can’t resist buying them ATM!) so might look at this, particularly as Sterling is strengthening.

Thx. noted ;)

I’m liking the look of Fundsmith a lot, that could well be the one. It is sufficiently different in concept/attitude to what I already have (I actually have a fair bit in Vanguard, but via building society/Fidelity) and looks like it will do what I want.

Last edited:

Looks a very decent index fund. Only snag for me is there’s a lot of overlap with PCT, as many of the top holdings are tech based.

I’m liking the look of Fundsmith a lot, that could well be the one. It is sufficiently different in concept/attitude to what I already have (I actually have a fait bit in Vanguard, but via building society/Fidelity) and looks like it will do what I want.

Nobody knows what the future holds, but you could do a hell of a lot worse than give your money to Terry Smith to look after, IMHO.

Nobody knows what the future holds, but you could do a hell of a lot worse than give your money to Terry Smith to look after, IMHO.

I’ve actually just done it! I’ve no idea if I’ve bought-in at a good or bad time, but as I say I don’t want to think about that sort of thing. If I start thinking about it I’d just get all obsessive, and I’ve got way enough of that in my life! Bloody scary pushing the button though...

I’ve got money in HL Fundsmith too and it’s doing well. Started about a year ago and it’s up by about 16% last time I looked.

I’ve actually just done it! I’ve no idea if I’ve bought-in at a good or bad time, but as I say I don’t want to think about that sort of thing. If I start thinking about it I’d just get all obsessive, and I’ve got way enough of that in my life! Bloody scary pushing the button though...

good choice. Did you do it via HL or directly through fundsmith?

i think there is going to be some short term volatility in the markets over the next year or so, so be prepared for some bumps in the road. However, fundsmith equity is less volatile than many funds and usualy holds up well during market downturns.

Past performance is a poor indicator of future growth. All the current high performers are the funds up to their eyes in US tech stocks and especially Tesla.
The rest of the worlds markets are looking very cheap in comparison now

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back