advertisement

Steve Guttenberg sells his SME 15 for a Technics 1200G

Pondering on this today. I absolutely have chased “a sound” that has been both hard to define and achieve. I’ve mostly concentrated on speakers, in a digitally dominated system.

My current WB Arcs were bought as an experiment/stop gap, but I’ve really clicked with them.

I think the penny has also dropped that I need elegance of both operation and aesthetic over the last 1% of performance.

I think I’m likely to settle on my old high end CDPs, Sonos as an end point for Roon, plus the Technics for vinyl. Might keep a belt drive too, but really not sure until I hear the 1210 for myself.

I’ve got Room running and it’s great but I’m also a computer/tech professional and it’s still not the easiest thing in the world to maintain. Using a CD player is more limiting but the user interface is predictable and reliable.

i have a Rega RP6 with an Exact so it’s pretty easy to use, but as Guttenberg talks about, the ability to swap out cartridges has appeal to me. You might not get the ultimate performance of the SME but I bet tailoring things to your taste is easier on a tonearm with quick cartridge swaps

Certainly not my experience.
Price can be used as indicator but not as a general rule.

Don't get me wrong - of course, you may find a $1500 speaker that will sound better than a poor $5k speaker. But I would make the case that the very best $1500 speaker available will sound worse than the very best $5k speaker available. Indeed, just within one company line-up, it would be quite rare for the flagship model to be beaten by their entry-level model. This would also hold true for turntables, carts, headphones, amplifiers, CD players etc.

Granted there is different technology here as well. Some folks who love panels might like a $1600 Magnepan over ANY boxed speaker at any price because their ear just loves the ribbon planar sound signature that it stamps on music. Arguably the feeling people have about tube amps that some argue is more organic and whole while opponents view it as a distortion effect. Thus, some people will like a $3k tube amp overall SS amps regardless of price.

But I would say if one keeps apples to apples the $20k Tube amp will be preferred to the $2k tube amp from the same maker - The Maggie lover will probably love the 20.7 over the 1.7 that sort of thing.

@RichardAusten evidently some folks like swapping, chopping and changing, some just like new toys, some are perhaps searching for audio Nirvana, some are on an upgrade path, some can't perhaps warrant spending thousands on a particular component, some perhaps following trends or a dealers advice, some are just inquisitive, probably a thousand different reasons why some people are always changing their system, each to their own.
I personally think when a person finds what's right for them or at least can identify their preferences then the search is over, I don't think that it's always necessary to spend more money if an individual is happy with a system costing a few hundred or few thousand pounds then there's no reason to change.

Yes - I certainly do not want to tell others how to be audiophiles. But I guess that's it - audiophile means sound lover not necessarily "music lover" and there is IMO a big difference between the two. Sort of like cars - some people love fixing them up and detailing them and adding mods to them - others just buy a Toyota 4Runner because they run forever and don't break down - but to maybe a car guy - it's a boring slab of a motor vehicle. I want to listen to music - I don't want to be futzing around with 19 cartridges and 6 tonearms and trying 47 different tube combinations, and three brands of wire lifters.

Maybe if I had nothing to do all day - to me audio is just a thing to enjoy music not really a hobby - I'd probably rather just build an impressive train set as a hobby.

I love my 1210G it replaced the my 1210GR which to be honest I would of kept if I didn't have G money.
I was going to keep the GR for headphone listening but turns out it wasn't for me. I had the GR plus a good cartridge and some extras up for sale for a very reasonable price. No takers though, guess thier not so popular 2nd hand.

One thing I completely forgot about untill seeing this review is the manual torque setting. I don't think I've ever adjusted it from the factory setting. Definitely going to play with that this weekend

I think it looks very purposeful. I bought my FIL a 1500c. I was so impressed with the build quality compared to other TTs in the same price range and above. Lovely sounding as well.

I had the GR plus a good cartridge and some extras up for sale for a very reasonable price. No takers though, guess they're not so popular 2nd hand.

I don't think they'll hold their value like a Linn or Rega does. They occupy a different place in the market and in people's perception. People see them as mass produced and they are often available discounted, the perceived value just isn't as high. Which is crazy but that's how it is.

And people aren't buying much of anything just now. So many are struggling to pay the bills and buy Christmas presents for their kids. A better turntable is low on the list.

I've heard the GR and I think it's fantastic value, I'd love to hear the G. I'd really love to hear one in my system!

I love my 1210G it replaced the my 1210GR which to be honest I would of kept if I didn't have G money.
I was going to keep the GR for headphone listening but turns out it wasn't for me. I had the GR plus a good cartridge and some extras up for sale for a very reasonable price. No takers though, guess thier not so popular 2nd hand.

One thing I completely forgot about untill seeing this review is the manual torque setting. I don't think I've ever adjusted it from the factory setting. Definitely going to play with that this weekend
Are you still looking to sell you’re gr?

I don't think they'll hold their value like a Linn or Rega does. They occupy a different place in the market and in people's perception. People see them as mass produced and they are often available discounted, the perceived value just isn't as high. Which is crazy but that's how it is.
Linn and Rega are products of The Cult of Turntable. Once the believers are gone, the whole idea will become incomprehensible.

I don't think they'll hold their value like a Linn or Rega does
The quality of its engineering and execution makes typical audiophile products look slightly homemade, and I'm willing to bet that it will remain as bulletproof as the legendary DJ deck on which it's based. and probably last into the next century.

imagine buying a 20000 $ tube amp and thinking you made a good deal

hahahahahahahbaha

Richard is like a Divine comedy of life.

advertisement

Back