advertisement

Steve Guttenberg sells his SME 15 for a Technics 1200G

Post a pic! I’d be interested to see what an FR64S looked like on a 1200G. I do like the FR arms a lot, but not the right tool for me now I’m back in MM land.

Here you go:

toyZiSq

toyZiSq.jpg

And to say that the SME sounds better (I would think so) but convenience trumps sound quality? I just do not understand.

That wasn't what I took away from it. To me, it seemed as simple as him saying he enjoyed using the Technics more, while acknowledging, more than once, the sonic superiority of the SME.

Personally, if that's what gets him all moist and gooey, I find it hard to argue.

I know I'm quite happy with my Technics SL-220 I fixed up. While not as good as my fathers LP12 it's better than he likes to admit.

STST Motus - £6400 without arm

Brinkmann Bardo without arm - £5895

Technics 1200G - with arm £3150

:rolleyes:

I was referring to all of the Technics Direct Drive turntables including the SL-1000R (£16,000) and the SP10-R (£9000)...

Next step - Guttenberg tells us 'I've given up on vinyl playback altogether, now I've found the best DAC available to man'.

Don't forget this is a YouTube channel which is monetised. Steve makes a living out of producing content so its always something a little controversial to get people to view the video. It doesn't mean it has to be 100% true or accurate. It's just content providing entertainment for viewers. That's Youtube!

He doesn’t sell any audio kit though, so he can say things that are perfectly honest and still get the clicks!

I’m not on the same page as him on most things to do with audio (I’m far closer to Art Dudley, Sam Tellig, Herb R, Ken Micallef etc), but I do feel Steve Guttenberg is an honest voice. He likes what he likes and uses what he likes the most, just like the rest of us. It isn’t what I’d choose, but there’s no law saying I’m right. Yet.

So, Guttenberg’s reasoning is all about changing cartridges.

For most of us here on PFM, I suspect we fit a particular arm and cartridge and stay with
the combination.

I’ve lived with various cartridges over the years and decided on a Denon 103.
It suits my amplifier and speakers and that’s the reason for my choice.

For most of us here on PFM, I suspect we fit a particular arm and cartridge and stay with
the combination.

In fairness he is a hi-fi reviewer! By saying that I’d really not want to go back to using a fixed-shell tonearm now. Being able to fit and inspect a cart away from the turntable is a real luxury IMO, one I’d not want to give up. I do pop the headshell off now and again so I can check how clean the stylus is with a loupe in the good light by the window. It is also very useful to easily remove the headshell and place it somewhere safe if I’m dusting the deck. I can’t see myself using a fixed shell arm again.

He doesn’t sell any audio kit though, so he can say things that are perfectly honest and still get the clicks!

I’m not on the same page as him on most things to do with audio (I’m far closer to Art Dudley, Sam Tellig, Herb R, Ken Micallef etc), but I do feel Steve Guttenberg is an honest voice. He likes what he likes and uses what he likes the most, just like the rest of us. It isn’t what I’d choose, but there’s no law saying I’m right. Yet.
He sells his air time and access to his followers - as they all do. He's no worse than anyone else though.

In fairness he is a hi-fi reviewer! By saying that I’d really not want to go back to using a fixed-shell tonearm now. Being able to fit and inspect a cart away from the turntable is a real luxury IMO, one I’d not want to give up. I do pop the headshell off now and again so I can check how clean the stylus is with a loupe in the good light by the window. It is also very useful to easily remove the headshell and place it somewhere safe if I’m dusting the deck. I can’t see myself using a fixed shell arm again.

Agreed. But I'm sure I've seen SME arms with detachable headshells.... In fact I had a model 10 with its matching arm and it had a detachable headshell. So he didn't need the chuck the SME 15 after all!

That said.... I've had my 1200G for 5 years now, the longest I've kept anything....and not sure I could listen to a belt drive deck now.

Yes, the SME 309, M2 & M2R all have removable headshells, as obviously do the vintage 3009 and 3012.

He’s turned Herb onto various products and they are clearly good friends with a mutual respect for each other. I think Gutenberg falls into the enthusiast category. I find him entertaining and sincere.

I’m super excited as I’ve just bought an unopened 1210GAE off the bay! Have now spoken to the chap (who bought two when they came out, and has now sold this “spare” one to me). He’s just another collector nerd like many of us, and seems really nice. He’s even delivering it in person some time middle of next week.

Well said. I feel similarly. Steve strikes me as a guy who is really enjoying this part of his career.

advertisement

Back