advertisement

Steve Guttenberg sells his SME 15 for a Technics 1200G

Recently had a Majik level with Karousel on loan, head to head with my G no contest, suspect an Akurate level would be much closer to my G and a Klimax should rival a 1000R on paper.
I have an Akurate-ish LP12, tried it against a 1210G and a Rega P10, it was a close run thing and to be honest, the 1210 was a lovely thing to use. I’d have happily settled with any of them but I love the aesthetics of the LP12, and I have an all Linn system, so picked the LP12. The 1210 is a genuine rival though… as is the P10.

He did say that he felt that the ability to change cartridges on the fly trumped the better sounding SME...

This I simply do not understand at all.

I have never felt the need to switch cartridges. I have no 78s. Buy one good cartridge and be done with it!

And to say that the SME sounds better (I would think so) but convenience trumps sound quality? I just do not understand.

I have never felt the need to switch cartridges. I have no 78s. Buy one good cartridge and be done with it!

And to say that the SME sounds better (I would think so) but convenience trumps sound quality? I just do not understand.

Something to do with being a reviewer perhaps? A good, mono cartridge I can understand...

Funnily enough, I sold on my SL-1200G after being initially very happy with it. Just felt ultimately that I missed the more (subjectively) exciting presentation of my Garrard 301, which due to a fab PFM member, I was able to buy back again.

I suspect what Tony says about it possibly being over-damped might well be a factor. It’s certainly a stunning deck overall though (at these prices it often comes down to subjective tastes anyway), and my only major complaint about it was the bright blue LEDs. Amber or red would have looked so much better. I’d quite happily live with one again, and suspect with some tuning it’d take on all but the very best.

Ironically, the SME 15 is my ‘dream deck’, though I suspect in reality would just be a side-grade from my Garrard 301.

Probably because he is a 'reviewer' , the reviewer 'Ed Selley ' who writes for Hifi Choice uses a SME M2 tonearm (detachable headshell) on either a Gyrodec or Avid TT for this purpose.

Happy GR user atm. Got a lovely 401 but not assembled.

Thanks Nic, very nice indeed. You can't really go wrong with either a quality Technics' or a Garrard 301/401.

I have an early 70's Sl110 and I kid you not, whilst it's been well looked after, (oiling main bearing & contact cleaner for the switches/pots) the electronics haven't been touched in all those years and it still works really well. Currently set up with an AT 1005 & AT OC7.

Would dearly love to source an original lid and wood surround for it one day.

To be fair he did say that he found the sound of the Technics more comfortable to listen to, particularly highlighting the impact and drive of the bass. Like most reviewers I think he worries about what people will think so works hard to justify the change. As a reviewer it would be more convenient to be able to change and compare carts. This happens quite a lot to older listeners. Their hearing suffers, they look for convenience because they really can’t be bothered to faff like they used to. It’s common. Who wants to listen to crackling old vinyl nowadays anyway?;)

I don’t like the aesthetics of the Technics but can absolutely see the appeal. Most of the reviews I’ve rad seem to suggest some mods are required to get the best out of them, thi s defeats the object for me.

After owning 2 Technics top direct drive turntables in the mid to late 1970s I would never own another. If I had to go down the Direct Drive route I would probably look at the STST Motus or one of the Brinkmanns.

STST Motus - £6400 without arm

Brinkmann Bardo without arm - £5895

Technics 1200G - with arm £3150

:rolleyes:

Next step - Guttenberg tells us 'I've given up on vinyl playback altogether, now I've found the best DAC available to man'.

Owned a high spec LP12 and currently, the SL1200G. I can’t get my head round how much better the SL is in every way that matters to me; set up, build quality, perfect pitch and a sublimely musical presentation.
Thought his review was great, highlighting on ‘different’ between belt and DD but concentrating on the ‘differences’ between both Technics……

I tried one, actually bought the thing. It’s good, but I much preferred my TD-124! Just more alive and fun. Took me about 30 seconds of Dexter Gordon’s One Flight Up to decide and nothing I tried later reversed that initial impression. My suspicion is the Technics is just too mass-damped for my taste.

Change the arm on one and you’d be surprised how good they sound. I sold my TD-124 after doing just that. Now I have a Fidelity Research FR-64S on my 1200G and I can’t imagine changing it for anything other than an SP10R (and still use the FR-64S). Also, adding an Auditorium 23 Hommage mat really made a great improvement over the stock mat.

advertisement

Back