advertisement

Steely Dan- Any good?

Don't die trying. If you don't understand the first time you hear it then you'll probably never understand.

No loss to me. If I never hear any "Dan" again, it'll be too soon.

Named after a large dildo, funny that.

I am genuinely interested, please can someone link me to a song or solo from Steely dan which is so earth shatteringly good as to make up for the rest of the fondue?

I think your premise is flawed. Good guitar work is good guitar work, and it stands on its own merits - why does it need to make up for anything?

Check out My Old School on youtube (totally lip-synched, but hey). If you find the soloing common, I'd love to hear a few of the artists you listen to who make it seem so. BTW, there are three solos, and they build structurally, one on the other. Wait for all three.

(Doubtless the majority of comments will be about bad clothes and hair, but honestly I never suggested Steely Dan were icons of fashion sense (or anything else). Simply good guitar work. Take care not to miss that part.)

Edit: Bastards left out the third solo. Oh well.

P that sort of argument is levelled by people that do not have an argument.

Give me something here that I can go on to make me change my mind that steely dan simply sound like cheese.

They rate in the same bag as The Eagles I am afraid, more radio 2 deliciousness.

If either of you (or anyone else) would like to debate the relative merits of the guitar solos, I'm eager to hear your critique.

Gary, it's the grimmest of grim West Coast Smooth Jazz-Rock. The Eagles are miles better.

Oh I see, you are claiming that he's a good guitarist? Two words: Jimmy Page.

****ing hell Kasp, is that the best we have to go on? Yes he can play a guitar, but as Surfing With The Alien so clearly proved, good guitar work does not a band make.

However your link nicely demonstrated a nice cheesy Dan song.

Or Dave Gilmour, or JJ Cale, or shedloads of others.

My point is exactly the same as Gary's: Yes, they are competent musicians, but the music itself is really really awful. Just wallpaper. Unpleasant wallpaper, actually.

****ing hell Kasp, is that the best we have to go on? Yes he can play a guitar, but as Surfing With The Alien so clearly proved, good guitar work does not a band make.

If Joe Satriani exemplifies your notion of masterful guitar work, we've little basis for discussion.

K you're wasting your time here dude

You're amongst Kate Bush and Girly Band fans who wouldn't know a well structured solo placed in a perfectly recorded ironic song if it hit 'em in the face.

You can't explain perfection to people who have no idea of the concept

Or Dave Gilmour, or JJ Cale, or shedloads of others.

My point is exactly the same as Gary's: Yes, they are competent musicians, but the music itself is really really awful. Just wallpaper. Unpleasant wallpaper, actually.

Well, I'm a student of the guitar for 30+ years now. My opinion is that the guitar work is miles ahead of competent. I'm not the only guitarist to think so; I'd be willing to bet even some of those excellent guitarists you've mentioned would agree.

Kate Bush is hardly "girly band". KB is a genius, there's no-one like her. There's loads of Dan-esque Muzak about. It's totally forgettable (thankfully).

Well, I'm a student of the guitar for 30+ years now. My opinion is that the guitar work is miles ahead of competent. I'm not the only guitarist to think so; I'd be willing to bet even some of those excellent guitarists you've mentioned would agree.
You are totally missing the point.

Which is: the music is absolute cack. Well-played cack.

advertisement

Back