advertisement

Steely Dan- Any good?

Guess again. I have had some of them played to me, though. Fantastic!

I made the mistake of buying one once, but Kathie quite rightly made me give it away.

Why are steely dan albums great for showing off your hi-fi? Wouldn't you be better off playing something that sounds bobbins on a poor system? Steely Dan stuff 'sounds' good on most systems so it doesn't really show what is special about your system during a quick listen.
I used to think Steely Dan were pants, having only heard them in my Dad's car whilst going on holiday to a rain drenched campsite in Wales. Then I reached about 27 or 28 and actually sat down and listened to them, now I love them. Dead groovy.

I'm really not surprised that someone who uses Kate Bush as a musical benchmarch doesn't get Steely Dan.

Me neither. Kate Bush is innovative and rather excellent, and Steely Dan is forgettable rubbish.

I truly have no idea what any one sees in this cheese ridden group.

It beggers belief.

'Twatty don't lose that number..' I mean come on! You people are happy to rip it out of Pink floyd, yet 'the dan' get let off the hook with their unacceptable face of Radio Two lyrical pop crap!

Listen now, just as that last parmesan chord fades out, a nice groan and then an 'Ah, there you go, Steely Dan' uttered by The Wogan himself. Now what did I do with my pipe...

Jesus.

Common Kasp, I think the best you can do is give it a Homeresque 'The competent guitar work of Skunk Baxter!'

Whatever that might mean.

Trying to listen to Kate Bush records is an impossibility here and literally makes my flesh crawl.

Is this the Homer of the Ancient World, or Homer Simpson?

Steely Dan makes me feel nauseated. They are so pleased with themselves, and so crap at the same time.

P you are wrong, there is no subjectivity in it, you are just wrong. Steely Dan might be funny if they were meant to be a joke

Common Kasp, I think the best you can do is give it a Homeresque 'The competent guitar work of Skunk Baxter!'

Well, not common in my experience. In fact, I've never heard anything remotely like the solos from My Old School, Bad Sneakers, and Peg. And I've heard a few guitarists.

The problem being that you'd actually have to listen to those masterpieces in order to verify the claim.

I am genuinely interested, please can someone link me to a song or solo from Steely dan which is so earth shatteringly good as to make up for the rest of the fondue?

advertisement

Back