advertisement

Starting to get warmer... any other motorcyclists gearing up on here?

I bought another 125 yesterday - an old 2006 Yamaha YBR125 for my son to use:

171570021.oK1TBTuG.ybr01.jpg

Where he lives there is a high chance of a bike left on the street getting stolen and the insurance premiums reflect that (£250 third party only for him compared to £750 TPF&T and £800+ comprehensive) so I needed something cheaper than his Mum's MSX125/Grom that he's been using up until now i.e. didn't cost a lot so not a big deal if it is stolen. The mandatory excess on the TPF&T policies (£500+) made them pointless anyway, for a bike that's only worth about £800.

It's somewhat tatty, although not really as bad as I'd expected and everything seems to work (even the fuel gauge) and it rides quite well. It's quicker than the Grom as well, so if we do a 125cc ride out together I'm going to have to work to keep up!

I've given it an oil change and will change the air filter and spark plug (as these sorts of bikes don't tend to get a lot of maintenance) plus stick a top-box on, but no real plans to do any more than that.
My neighbour had one of those, a newer version. It was very nice. Yours looks good too, as you say it's a bit careworn but give it a service and get it to work. Also this will help in making it less likely to be stolen. You could always go for the rat look.

My neighbour had one of those, a newer version. It was very nice. Yours looks good too, as you say it's a bit careworn but give it a service and get it to work. Also this will help in making it less likely to be stolen. You could always go for the rat look.

Normally I'd tidy the bike up a bit - replacing scraped/damaged plastics etc. and cleaning up the bits with rust etc. - but in this case it's definitely better if it looks a bit ratty. For it's age it's already not bad, and it's already quite nickable, so definitely don't want to make it look more nickable.

I'd be painting the rusty bits with Waxoyl, or failing that just light oil and paraffin (2 stroke used to be traditional) and letting it soak in. It stops further corrosion, looks generally disreputable, and can be cleaned off when you well or move to a better address.

Anyone here use any ABBAstand products?
This is going back over 25years :( but I used one on my FZR1000.

Very very useful for working on the rear suspension.

Quite tricky to fit due to the inserts for the swing arm not being firmly attached, so can drop out whilst trying to get both sides onto the bike.

I think I ended up keeping the two side arms bolted together, and slid the whole frame under the bike, or maybe pushed the front wheel over it.

Once set up like that, felt far more secure than a rear wheel paddock stand.

This is going back over 25years :( but I used one on my FZR1000.

Very very useful for working on the rear suspension.

Quite tricky to fit due to the inserts for the swing arm not being firmly attached, so can drop out whilst trying to get both sides onto the bike.

I think I ended up keeping the two side arms bolted together, and slid the whole frame under the bike, or maybe pushed the front wheel over it.

Once set up like that, felt far more secure than a rear wheel paddock stand.

Has been a 20+year gap in my history but Im glad to be out again, there have been alot of speed cameras, humps and other traffic calming stuff installed all over my area in that time!
Ive ordered the extra doodads that allow you to work on the swing arm/suspension and looks like will be here tomorrow Yay! Better than the Boots I ordered a week ago, still no sign of a tracking no. yet

Despite being on an optimizer the battery on my CBF1000GT turned out to be dead when I tried to start it earlier in the week. Given it's a 2009 and I think it's the original battery then I don't think it owes me much. With a new battery fitted it started first time so I'll now need to get it in for an MOT.

Looks like I'll be doing some fettling of my sons YBR125 at the weekend. It's running very well when warm but while it starts first press of the key when cold it's a while before it'll take any throttle without stalling so I've going to change the plug and also change the carb (you can get brand new pattern carbs for £30 for I've bought one of those as it'll be cheaper than servicing the existing one). I've also got new mirrors to fit but other than that it seems fine - although it looks like it's possibly on the original tyres (which appear to be made of concrete) so I want to change those for something less slippery when wet.

Once that and the CBF are sorted then I'll dig the XBR500 out and see what that needs for an MOT.

I’m about to get my Ducati 998 ready for the road: new chain, sprockets, fluids, belts, battery & probably a new rear brake master cylinder (anyone who owns a 9xx Duc knows why...) .

I’ll have a couple of quick blasts for old times sake then it’s going up for sale. My back can’t take more than 45 minutes on it anymore. I’ll probably cry when it goes, and I’ll never own another bike that gives me the thrill and pride of ownership that the 998 has done over the last 15 years.

I’m about to get my Ducati 998 ready for the road: new chain, sprockets, fluids, belts, battery & probably a new rear brake master cylinder (anyone who owns a 9xx Duc knows why...) .

I’ll have a couple of quick blasts for old times sake then it’s going up for sale. My back can’t take more than 45 minutes on it anymore. I’ll probably cry when it goes, and I’ll never own another bike that gives me the thrill and pride of ownership that the 998 has done over the last 15 years.
let me guess, the brake master hangs off the side of the frame somewhere low down and gets cooked by the exhaust, sprayed with chain lube, mud and water, or kicked , or all three of the above.

Anyone here use any ABBAstand products?
No, but I used to make and sell my own version. I still have one, but with my SV650S I use paddock stands, front and rear. The rear one is used with bobbins screwed to the swing arm, and I can push the forks on the stand onto the bobbins and lever it up on my own.

A huge benefit to having done a lot of track time is that it really slowed me down on the road. There's just no point tearing around on the road, it's nothing even close to a track experience so just not worth the risk.
Agree 100%. Racing slowed me down so much that I've all but given up road riding. I've never been one to get out just to "Get the wind in my hair" and seem to end up on the same old (fast) roads. Track racing really helps to set perspective: medics onsite, everyone going the same way (most of the time), no kerbs, run off areas, no road furniture, good surface (mostly) and probably more benefits than I can think of off the top of my head. Looking at selling my bikes but never seem to get round to it: '74 RD350B, '76 Motobi 250 2C and a couple of Zane era (fragile) Laverdas.

AND...

Was just thinking about which bike I most miss and would want back from all the machines I've had and it's a bit weird really... are you sitting down...? good. MZ TS250 Supa 5 I'll get my coat:D
Nothing wrong with MZs! :) @Arkless Electronics push start only!
ACtC-3e0I9nPSSAOvi-9n8FooW-IbfkgQ4-e0ykTfCes7pJVbXEWUDh_Vm2HdT5dqqryFgqKuXAHJGh8xBBRrWP7UexK27aGV5b-EdTKsAo3pBs1doM9g6HKhRYi844abTifj6Izr5o_GBqA-hY-Gs3ispb_=w1730-h1297-no

TqCAAVgU9ONVW0t4G45ONXePIIt16Qck_pJihHGTL_AqyuRqBUEjsVrTKVrkbM25luVD5qNmipKpt8vGG8d6iJ1AyEkMsq3XMXQe3WuXNG1wfSwYvyo8GVnMSynIE9aoGZy0oQFZoYbxe2ZZixpDTHr614UoH5oUKj5v_0SMD397XaGD5v-lvUCtJSlHhA2bgAYP1LowBXfvKJBdHAu-uuzgjuEH7cfKbDF7cOq26VDcdNPbpTL2ga74Rjk8SpVDcrj7m9ObJ3cBNRYRcVtuD8bNH6RcOp-vIj3YN4y_5jRpXHyIBKtPE2vGCBM255B_smz_sCKo08vuIYENcuK-9iw1BWrJ5Ye7kci_av6ukmeSnrzAPEWpq8VetXHWOrvzuVX-fK5d5d0iGqeg6bWFTjJeZQCUDTJJSqtzux9F5EZbIExzClhvnaTdWtIW-oK6uUPQP-CINE8hSwNn2fiscQ_HRAyjSHktM4W-9yJVunpMr9TesQITq6CuFwzU1A-1Q2eyY-iBDxuaDcLHNNGgohsxvHfsAB9hGan_tPbauyGn5LZFJKTTzlVclefgbopVTjQ6vXfls7aZ4FnGoVHngsF-9u5GYUZF1Y8O09LVf2ehTcKlzWIa4C6cb9F8xZc5pHAmt5BhBXiWRCXh3qSKqYTc3H7ivMsHTA9BftmFUZhR9KE640rLesC9ml47CVPjPu5AeazF47Qo58wQk0PoUPqD=w1946-h1297-no

the brake master hangs off the side of the frame somewhere low down and gets cooked by the exhaust

Yep, fluid gets cooked and the o ring seals go. Also something about the grade of ally that Brembo use turns the fluid black, you can get aftermarket cylinders that have the bore anodised which prevents this.

Yep, fluid gets cooked and the o ring seals go. Also something about the grade of ally that Brembo use turns the fluid black, you can get aftermarket cylinders that have the bore anodised which prevents this.
Thought as much. Black fluid I'd fix with a bleed kit once a year. At least you can get access on a bike. When I had the Vectra I discovered that they put the clutch slave in the bellhousing, concentric to the input shaft. It gets cooked, it leaks,fix is gearbox off and new clutch. The POS needed a clutch at 75k, 85k and 120k. I paid for the last one and when it leaked AGAIN I got rid.

Having suffered on the bike last year in the heat ( A&E job) I thought I’d try and avoid any dehydration by downing about three pints of water before I went out yesterday.
Actually felt pretty good but I guess I really should invest in a summer jacket.

Oooff!! That is nice!
Seat looks to have more padding than my SV...

First go with the ABBA stand today, went on pretty easy, more difficult getting it up and down the stairs with a bag of cleaning gear! Then I had the fun of chasing all the strips of clean blue paper towel round the carpark that I thought were tucked under me disclock.
Putting the bike back on the gound again was pretty smooth too, well worth getting and I will probably get the other attachments when I need them.

Hi Alan, not rude at all. Well spotted.

Frame, engine, tank, carb and maybe the front wheel spindle ;)

Well - I have to confess, that pic of the MZ ear-holing round the track there, is just about one of the coolest bike photographs I've seen :)

Hi Alan, not rude at all. Well spotted.

Frame, engine, tank, carb and maybe the front wheel spindle ;)
Is that the 250 2s that was around for ever and still made in the 90s? Always liked them, a classic bike of the modern age and they lasted well. I remember them being popular commuters for older bike fans who were getting bored with the annual BSA rebuild ceremony and wanted something that just worked.

Yup. I dont really know my MZs, but I think that might be the ETZ model with the motocrosser style tank . Reworked a bit as you might just be able to see .. :)

DerJ9Ngh.png

My blade went last year for similar reasons, but I suffer in the hip and knee joints.

But in good news I prefer my new Vitpilen 701 anyway.

Can I see a pic of your 998?

advertisement

Back