advertisement

Starting to get warmer... any other motorcyclists gearing up on here?

RichShortland

pfm Member
So the weather is beginning to improve (at least up here in Manchester) and I'm starting to get the motorbike out of hibernation ready for a spin out (COVID restrictions allowing of course).

Wondered how many other motorcyclists are on here?

My current bike is a 2000 Honda Blackbird, carefully tweaked to be a bit more 'sports' than 'tourer'.

Anyone else looking forward to getting out again? @Cereal Killer ??..

bbird.jpg

And what I also enjoy getting up to... (Oulton Park)

oulton.jpg

At least you do it on a track. Round here, the bypass is full of Barry Sheenes doing wheelies off the roundabouts! At 7am on Sundays too.

I have been trackdaying on and off for 13 years. For a time that's all I did. I didn't even have a road bike. A huge benefit to having done a lot of track time is that it really slowed me down on the road. There's just no point tearing around on the road, it's nothing even close to a track experience so just not worth the risk.

Stick those Barry wannabees on a track and you soon see how quick they really are...

I've still got a few bikes - mostly Honda's: CBF1000GT, CBR600F, XBR500, MSX123 (Grom) plus a Gas-Gas Pampera.

Once we're allowed out again then most of them are going to need MOT'd and services - I think just the Grom is road legal at the moment.

I used to do trackdays but it's been at least a decade since I've done one, and I also used to race off-road bikes but also haven't done that recently either.

I've still got a few bikes - mostly Honda's: CBF1000GT, CBR600F, XBR500, MSX123 (Grom) plus a Gas-Gas Pampera.

Once we're allowed out again then most of them are going to need MOT'd and services - I think just the Grom is road legal at the moment.

I used to do trackdays but it's been at least a decade since I've done one, and I also used to race off-road bikes but also haven't done that recently either.

Sounds good - I do like Hondas... especially around late 90's / 2000's - the build quality was just fantastic. Bet the Grom is fun, and the Gas Gas. I used to have a Beta 250 trials bike which I messed about on with the kids when I used to live in the country. My lad is getting into trials riding a little Oset electric trials bike.

Been fettling mine - finally plucked up the courage to book her in for a proper track day in April (Covid permitting):

Ra4F5a1h.jpg

Think I've finally cracked the mysteries of setting the sag. Here's hoping :)

02 Blackbird same as OP's here.... Blue are the fastest obvs:D Mines completely stock though.

It's been stood in the garage for must be going on 5 years or so now and I haven't even checked it's still there for about the last 3!:oops:

Was thinking of putting it on the road around this time last year but it never happened...

Got a bike for 16th birthday (I've never owned a car) and until 5 years ago the longest I'd been off the road was a 6 month ban... 56 now... If you'd told me 10 years ago I'd have a stonking machine like that in the garage but no reason or motivation to put it on the road I'd have called you crazy! "Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans" as Lennon said...o_O

And what I also enjoy getting up to... (Oulton Park)

oulton.jpg
I never much liked Oulton Park to ride. OK to spectate, or marshall, but too long and fast for my bike.
25148095707_1808412b73_c.jpg

It was OK on the Fireblade, but I wasn't, so back to an SV650S. The old Anglesey (as here) or even better Cadwell suited me more. I had to stop a couple of years ago, too many injuries and I was worrying more than enjoying, so time to quit before I hurt myself again. But I made it to 70! And can still ride it on the road, well hopefully.

Been fettling mine - finally plucked up the courage to book her in for a proper track day in April (Covid permitting):

Ra4F5a1h.jpg

Think I've finally cracked the mysteries of setting the sag. Here's hoping :)

Nice. I always liked the 675. I'm quite tall and it was one of the few sportsbikes I felt comfy one instantly whenever I sat on one...
Is that an Ohlins rear? Had one on my trackbike and it was lovely. A willing assistant is useful when setting the sag so you can sit on properly and get your feet up. Good luck with the trackday :)

02 Blackbird same as OP's here.... Blue are the fastest obvs:D Mines completely stock though.

It's been stood in the garage for must be going on 5 years or so now and I haven't even checked it's still there for about the last 3!:oops:

Was thinking of putting it on the road around this time last year but it never happened...

Got a bike for 16th birthday (I've never owned a car) and until 5 years ago the longest I'd been off the road was a 6 month ban... 56 now... If you'd told me 10 years ago I'd have a stonking machine like that in the garage but no reason or motivation to put it on the road I'd have called you crazy! "Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans" as Lennon said...o_O

I'm constantly impressed by my Blackbird. Does everything I'd want from just one bike - comfy for a decent distance, very quick, handles well, very good with a pillion... Its just too nice for me to do trackdays on tbh as I'd be gutted if I ever threw it down the road.

Hope you dust yours off again soon.

I never much liked Oulton Park to ride. OK to spectate, or marshall, but too long and fast for my bike.
25148095707_1808412b73_c.jpg

It was OK on the Fireblade, but I wasn't, so back to an SV650S. The old Anglesey (as here) or even better Cadwell suited me more. I had to stop a couple of years ago, too many injuries and I was worrying more than enjoying, so time to quit before I hurt myself again. But I made it to 70! And can still ride it on the road, well hopefully.

Oulton is the one I know the best (I use to live just 20 min away). The new Anglesey and Cadwell are the circuits I've enjoyed the most.
Donington is okaaay, but the melborne loop bit is a bit dull. The new Snetterton was also good, although I have only done it in the wet.
I'd been thinking of a SV for a track bike tbh but I'm not sure I'd miss the go of a bigger 4 cylinder. Thee is something for a bike you can really ring the neck of and not get into too much trouble!!..

I hope I'm still on two wheels when I'm 70, good for you.

I'm constantly impressed by my Blackbird. Does everything I'd want from just one bike - comfy for a decent distance, very quick, handles well, very good with a pillion... Its just too nice for me to do trackdays on tbh as I'd be gutted if I ever threw it down the road.

Hope you dust yours off again soon.

Yeah I feel the same way about mine. Ultimate all rounder for what I want and suits the >6' fat bastard rider well.

Nice. I always liked the 675. I'm quite tall and it was one of the few sportsbikes I felt comfy one instantly whenever I sat on one...
Is that an Ohlins rear? Had one on my trackbike and it was lovely. A willing assistant is useful when setting the sag so you can sit on properly and get your feet up. Good luck with the trackday :)

Thanks Rich. No the shock is just a Triumph lookalike. There is a local chap here, however, who not only worked with Ohlins on the MotoGP circuit for some years, but also has a 675 race bike. He revalves the internals to make them slightly more track-suitable - or will happily sell bona fide Ohlins units for those with an appropriate boys-toys slush-fund budget. I think it's fair to say the bike in standard form is a helluva lot more capable than I am, so not planning budget for any major upgrades just yet :)

It's the old adage: Anyone can go fast in a straight line.
Sadly quite a few can’t stop at the end of it, to which the number of little shrines along our local ‘biker’s favourite’ B-road (three in three miles the last time I looked) bears witness.

Last edited:
Lovely - Thruxton is on my wish list...

Its the best bike I have ever had, and I have had quite a few, no exotica, mainly Honda superbikes. Its also great doing your full ride out wearing a massive grin knowing that you are free of any risk of inteference from plod.

Also Rich, theres no polite way to ask this, are you massively fat?? I just wonder what sort of head the ball tweeks a blackbird? Like its not fast enough?

I was 21 stone when I had mine (thats massively fat, as a guide) and the front end would still leave the ground off the throttle, mine was a fuel injected one - the variant escapes me, I had to sell it to buy a kitchen, which I am still bitter about to this day.

Also if you happen to be short, and massively fat I have some leathers I need to move on, (5xxl jacket, 42 waist shorts leg pants, full zip or half zip)

S

advertisement

Back