advertisement

Star Trek: Original Series • Discovery • Picard • Lower Decks • Prodigy • Strange New Worlds

And so it's come to this:

1HXwLLG.jpg

The nadir of all things Trek.

Yank,

Who’s next? Bumheads, Gary Mitchell, or Nancy, the salt monster?

First pilot, second pilot or first episode aired.

Joe

I haven't looked at the schedule, but apart from holding out "Cat's Paw" for Halloween, they've been following original air sequence. So they should show "The Man Trap" tomorrow night, then "Charlie X" and then "Where No Man Has Gone Before". I will not be commemorating it with stills.

Yank,

I suggest charades for round two.

[ draws a rectangle ]

[ holds up three fingers ]

[ holds out hands as though they have suction cups then walks slowly towards someone else ]

Is it "The Man Trap"?

ding, ding, ding ding

Damn close impersonation that, Joe.

And Oliver going for the mind-meld without the finger hold, clever cat.

John

John,

I know everyone knows this, but Mr. Spock can do a limited form of mind-meld from a distance, as he did on Omega IV [ jump to 1:15 ].

Oliver does something similar when he wants to be fed.

Joe

John,

I know everyone knows this, but Mr. Spock can do a limited form of mind-meld from a distance, as he did on Omega IV [ jump to 1:15 ].

Oliver does something similar when he wants to be fed.

Joe

With or without the knife?!

John

John,

Oliver is quite gentle. He has never even once bit or scratched me, so I'm going without the knife.

Joe

1nPs9tm.jpg

I see now that I didn't begin posting pictures until S01E05, so we're still four short of a complete set. With apologies...

The thing that bothered me about that episode is that Nancy the salt monster only needed some salt to live, among the most common chemical compounds around. It's not like she metabolized rare NOS Western Electric 300B tubes, mint 15-Ω Rogers LS3/5a in rosewood or dilithium crystals to survive. Just salt — NaCl — the stuff they give away in those little packets when you order fries.

But, for whatever reason, Nancy ends up killing several people because she needs salt, kills them by sucking the salt right out of their face using the suction cups on her fingers. This is absurd. Food replicators are everywhere.

Tea. Earl Grey. Hot could just as easily be Fries. Family Size. Extra Salt. Hold the fries!

I love the show, but some episodes really do stretch credulity.

Joe

advertisement

Back