advertisement

Stack Audio Speaker Isolators

None of these pucks ‘absorb energy’ in the way manufacturers like to suggest. In theory some vibration (an incredibly minuscule amount) could be converted into heat but such transference is very inefficient and the amplitude of the vibration that a speaker produces (even a reasonably small one) will simply swamp these ‘isolators’. After writing that it’s perhaps surprising that I’m not saying they don’t have some impact on the sound - but it’s not for the reasons given. Imagine if any of these accessories did convert the vibration into heat - after an hour or so they would be warm/hot to the touch! The world of hi-fi is littered with these theoretical concepts that are exaggerated and presented out of context - contra rotating secondary platters etc.

They can't absorb vibration and hold the speakers rigidly.

If the external structure is stiff enough to hold the speakers rigidly then they provide a direct path to ground for vibrations, any vibration isn't interested in jumping across an impedance mismatch into a clump of tungsten particles or anything else.

Path of least resistance n all that. Like any mechanical support it'll have a specific response to vibration based on frequency, amplitude and supported mass, here's looking foreardvto seeing a frequency sweep from 20-20khz at 5-50kg supported load..... lol...
You come in here with your engineering knowledge and log ic , I bet you'll never sell a £1200 speaker spike like that!

My Audio Physic speakers have their magic VCF Magnetic levitatng feet, so they just float on a cushion of air :)

… or a cushion of money :(

I’m thinking of buying a set of AUVA 70. With a 30 day return period there is absolutely nothing to lose except perhaps some preconceptions. If I like them & think they are vfm I’ll keep them & if not I won’t. I don’t really see the point in debating what they can or can’t do when there is a simple way to get a definitive answer. Of course they’re v expensive but the YouTube review suggests a cheaper version is in the offing. I’m told that after all the very positive reviews there is now a 10 day wait for orders to be completed.

I’m thinking of buying a set of AUVA 70. With a 30 day return period there is absolutely nothing to lose except perhaps some preconceptions. If I like them & think they are vfm I’ll keep them & if not I won’t. I don’t really see the point in debating what they can or can’t do when there is a simple way to get a definitive answer. Of course they’re v expensive but the YouTube review suggests a cheaper version is in the offing. I’m told that after all the very positive reviews there is now a 10 day wait for orders to be completed.

I am sure we will all await your verdict in due course..

I’ve just ordered a set…
After much listening & consideration I decided not to keep the AUVAs & returned them for a refund.
I concluded that to my ears with my system in my room they did not make a difference significant enough to justify the expense. A friend who listened to my system with the AUVAs in place felt that they did bring sonic benefits & if it was his decision to make he would keep them.
I wouldn’t want my comments to deter others from trying these devices as I’m sure some will reach a different conclusion. With a 30 day return period for a refund this was a risk free experiment.
Throughput Stack Audio have communicated brilliantly & been a pleasure to deal with.

I've a lot of time for Stack Audio (I've Soprano set & two Links ) - Theo is talented engineer and very customer responsive. I'd be interested - but my speakers are on wheels :) (Shahinian Obelisks)

I've a lot of time for Stack Audio (I've Soprano set & two Links ) - Theo is talented engineer and very customer responsive. I'd be interested - but my speakers are on wheels :) (Shahinian Obelisks)
I’ve had a set of Isoacoustics Gaia111 feet on home dem for the past week & decided to buy them. Whilst the Gaias are designed for floorstanders my standmounts are bolted to their stands & I was advised that they would be appropriate in this application.
For me the benefits are tighter bass, better precision & timing & improved musicality. Bearing in mind the relatively low cost of these devices they provide good vfm & this decision was straightforward.
(I have a contact who can supply these products @c30% discount making them a real bargain!).

Sadly the link says that those are unavailable - perhaps audiophiles emptied Amazon's shelves after your post. Those are among thousands of products that I have not tried.

I have tried the little rubber feet that came with B&W 804 D3s - different to the spikes that came in the same box but no clear winner in my house.

Then I tried Gaia IIs, buy or return. They were dramatically better than either B&W option on my bouncy wooden floor. They stayed.

The difference was so dramatic that, when planning for the hifi in Tasmania, I decided I would probably get more. Having heard Neat Xplorers, I was pretty confident they were what i wanted for Tassie, so I called Neat and spoke the remarkably helpful and patient Bob Surgeoner himself. As he explained, Neat offer rubber feet or spikes but their speakers are increasingly being demonstrated with Gaias.

I am not sure why some CD transports sound so much better than others.

I am not sure why a Radikal is much better than a Lingo 4 at powering an LP12, or how Karousel actually improves on a Cirkus.

I am not sure why a dedicated mains supply from the meter sounds better than my old ring main, or why a Grahams Hydra makes Naim boxes sound markedly better, yet doesn't help any LP12.

I am not sure why lots of my tatty old vinyl (Abbey Road, Tres Hombres, Blue and more) sounds so much more involving and foot-tapping than the 180g replacements, or why that doesn't apply to Red or Scary Monsters.

I am not sure why a set of Morganas has more detail and boogie than the perfectly good Naim originals.

I am not sure why Gaias sound so much better than cheaper rubbery feet.

However, life is much too short to waste any of it pretending that we hadn't 'heard the difference' on any of those when we all did.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back