advertisement

Stack Audio Speaker Isolators

Stack Audio have recently announced their AUVA speaker isolators, which claim to absorb vibration. They don’t use compliant decoupling like sorbothane, but rather cells of tungsten particles which are said to absorb vibration. £700 or £1000 for a set of 8.

https://stackaudio.co.uk/auvaisolator/

Saw those, certainly look interesting. According to their website they are priced at £840 and £1240 for a set of 8.
Initially I thought they were extremely expensive but when compared to the higher end IsoAcoustics models such as the Gaia Titan range they seem very competitive to be fair…

Saw those, certainly look interesting. According to their website they are priced at £840 and £1240 for a set of 8.
Initially I thought they were extremely expensive but when compared to the higher end IsoAcoustics models such as the Gaia Titan range they seem very competitive to be fair…
There's inflation for you :eek:

My initial impression when I heard the price was thanks but no thanks, stick to my concrete floor :D

Sooner or later all audio companies see the quick buck to be gleaned from loyal customers. It’s usually bits of wire but ‘vibration absorbers’ will work just as well.

But if the particles are contained in a ‘ a totally rigid, machined-from-solid, aluminium case’ which is connected to the speakers and the spikes…
Keith

Upon reading the specification further it would appear that the tungsten particles are housed in separate pods within the overall aluminium structure. The pods are connected to the speakers and then to the floor spikes. The tungsten particles absorb the vibration in a similar way to throwing a ball into a pile of sand, it just completely absorbs the shock. Quite clever it seems.
Hope that my understanding is correct.

Ok so that sounds like it works on a similar principle as D3O armour, you hit the ground after coming off your bike at speed and the armour absorbs the shock instead of your bones.
Think I will take the armour out of my leathers whilst it’s frosty outside and put it under my speakers. Something to do on these winter nights ;)

Ok so that sounds like it works on a similar principle as D3O armour, you hit the ground after coming off your bike at speed and the armour absorbs the shock instead of your bones.
Think I will take the armour out of my leathers whilst it’s frosty outside and put it under my speakers. Something to do on these winter nights ;)

Why not indeed..

For these to isolate the unit would have to have an inner ‘piston’ that does not contact the outer case, I don’t see that looking at the photographs of the product.
Even if the separation exists then the weight of the speaker would be on the particles, if they compress then that is direct coupling.
Even worst case, poorly designed loudspeaker on a hugely resonant floor, even really effective isolation ( rolling air diaphragm) only operates on the structurally transmitted vibration you still have to contend with the airborne transmission.
Keith

I wonder why speaker manufacturers don’t seem to offer decoupling options? I have ATC floorstanders, the general consensus opinion is that decoupling is the way to go, but the speakers come with spikes from the factory with no other option.

Any views on these as I might be trying a set?

https://solidairaudio.com/product-category/dark-star-non-magnetic-isolation/
Northward Audio make speaker stands based on the Sylomer/Neoprene constrained damping system they use for soffit mounted ATCs in their studio designs, but none as yet for floorstanders. They also have a model for Kii Threes. If you hunt around gearspace you will find some of the maths and engineering calculations that go into their design.

https://northward-systems.com/product/type-50-250/

Probably do more than a cable of the same price tbh. But then moving your speakers a bit is free

For these to isolate the unit would have to have an inner ‘piston’ that does not contact the outer case, I don’t see that looking at the photographs of the product.
Even if the separation exists then the weight of the speaker would be on the particles, if they compress then that is direct coupling.
Even worst case, poorly designed loudspeaker on a hugely resonant floor, even really effective isolation ( rolling air diaphragm) only operates on the structurally transmitted vibration you still have to contend with the airborne transmission.
Keith

I think we all need to wait for several honest reviews of these actually being tested before jumping to any conclusions, to be fair. They are after all brand new to market right now.

From the Stack website:

“The Stack Audio AUVAs bring your music to life. The AUVAs are designed to do two things: hold loudspeakers rigidly whilst simultaneously absorbing vibration. They combine the best qualities of both spikes and isolators - without the drawbacks of either. Designed to be used on either hard floors or carpets, with the AUVAs direct sound waves are more precisely focused and cabinet vibrations are dissipated before reaching the floor.”

Nice to see another company addressing an issue I haven’t seen any other company beside Symposium Acoustics who have been banging on about this for years.

advertisement

Back