advertisement

Squeezebox Touch £134.99 at Amazon UK

Basil, this sounds promising.
1. What sort of USB hard drive have you?
2. Is there only music stored?
3. What format?

Western Digital, one of these:

http://www.ebuyer.com/174844-western-digital-elements-1tb-external-hard-drive-hi-speed-usb-retail-wdbaau0010hbk-uesn

Yes.

Mostly Wav., not for any sound reason, I'm just very lazy and can't be bothered to use flac until I need to...

Some flac & MP3 free downloads, squeezebox plays everything, including Apple lossless and flac 24/96 samples from Chandos.

Cheers Basil, I have one of those for back up purposes.
Have you noticed any sonic benefits as opposed to connecting a laptop via usb or wifi?
Now what you need is a good budget DAC ---------

A bit cheaper than a server or NAS then.

Cheers Basil, I have one of those for back up purposes.
Have you noticed any sonic benefits as opposed to connecting a laptop via usb or wifi?
Now what you need is a good budget DAC ---------

A bit cheaper than a server or NAS then.

None at all, it sounds the same running from the USB HD into the main hi-fi as it does from the Desktop (a quick W7 box with 6gb of ram & a 3+gH CPU) and, as an experiment, my old laptop, (running squeezeserver) an ancient device with 256mb of ram and running totaly wirelessly!

If I want it to sound bad, I'd d/l some tracks by Jedward!
It just works!

I have a DAC test coming up in the next few weeks...

TBC...

I grabbed one of these at the cheap price just to have a play. Must say I'm quite impressed by the sound quality plumbed into Nac52/250/SBLs. However, as expected, it's a little way behind my Linn Ikemi.
So, what do I need to do/spend to get it above Ikemi level? Will the MDac achieve this?
Cheers,
Paul

How strange - ordered one at 1.55 today and showed 20 left...go quickly I guess and hope it arrives....

Quick update on the Touch.

It works perfectly with my 1tb HD! The initial scan takes a while to get through the 500gb of music files, about an hour, but once done it works just as well as when connected to the PC...

I somewhere read that there is a limit for internal server - 100 folders and/or 100 tracks in the folder. Is that true?

FWIW I tried one, but found an Airport Express into the DAC did everything I needed, perhaps it's just my KISS philosophy!

Just put mine up in the classifieds as I prefer my Netbook, all I want for it is what I paid plus delivery. Few weeks old.
Sam

i really don't want to have to be firing up any kind of pc (or mac!) just to listen to music. i much prefer to have these platforms mutually independent. it's enough just to have a router booted up.

the sbt seems to fit the bill quite nicely for me.

i really don't want to have to be firing up any kind of pc (or mac!) just to listen to music. i much prefer to have these platforms mutually independent. it's enough just to have a router booted up.

the sbt seems to fit the bill quite nicely for me.

My Netbook takes around 5 seconds to come out of sleep mode and to be sat at the desktop ready to play.. Its used for Media Monkey for the local music, spotify, BBC I player and is also used to stream media off my home server. All remote controlled by my phone or tablet (or the laptop for that matter). Netbook cost me about the same as a Squeezebox Touch, and is dedicated to the HiFi.

Really fits the bill nicely for my needs, but we are all individuals. What suits one person another will hate. Thats part of the joy of this, you can taylor the solution to your needs/expectations.

Sam

advertisement

Back