advertisement

Split rubber pannarello causes microfoam issue...

madmike

I feel much better now, I really do...
At work I use a Morphy Richards Roma coffee machine. It has the same mech as the more expensine Dualits.
Recently I noticed a drop in performance when preparing microfoamed milk. I descaled the machine. Not that it needed it even though it has never missed a beat for over 5 years. It made no difference. The milk was reaching boiling point before the foam began.
Today I noticed a small split in the top of the pannarello. The MR machine has a rubber one which fits over the steam wand. It has always worked brilliantly. I can make a full jug of microfoam from a jug a third full of cold milk. I noticed a very small split at the top of the Pannarello and so I replaced it with my spare. Hey presto. Back to normal foam production. Possibly a slight deviation of the steam path was causing the issue.
Cheers!

Indeed.. your ingenuity and technical competence are impressive.

However, just in case such a disaster should befall me.. I have developed two workarounds.

1. Add boiled water to instant coffee in a mug. Add milk and sugar to taste. Drink.
2. Do not bother with a poncy coffee machine and stick with workaround No.1.

;)

Au contraire.. I have excellent taste.. (And a functioning keyboard ;) ) , but I have very little interest in the varied extremes and rituals of coffee consumption.

extremes ---- you have not even got onto the same topic - you are talking about a hot liquid that some people drink

Indeed.. your ingenuity and technical competence are impressive.

However, just in case such a disaster should befall me.. I have developed two workarounds.

1. Add boiled water to instant coffee in a mug. Add milk and sugar to taste. Drink.
2. Do not bother with a poncy coffee machine and stick with workaround No.1.

;)
Mull, a useful parable for so many things in life.

I believe we were struggling with a way to differentiate between working and middle class the other day?

I suggest the pannarello dichotomy may be just the thing.

I appear to have missed that discussion. Any chance of a link?

However, Social Class being, as it is.. an 'essentially contested concept', I fear is is unwise, negligent and possibly even discriminatory, to assign, or impute, membership of , or aspiration to any social class, purely on the basis of the choice or ownership of domestic appliances.

The fact that I generally eschew the purchase of certain appliances might, in some minds point to me being solidly working class. And indeed I am of working class origin, and proudly so. However, ownership of such appliances points just as much to 'aspiration' as it does to 'arrival', in class terms. Also, real class is not measured in terms gadget ownership.

Of course it is arguable that anyone who needs to work for a living is Working Class. Equally, it is arguable that despite my deplorable dearth of coffee or ice cream makers, my ownership of a detached property in a 'desireable' area, my status as one quarter of a four graduate family and my habitual avoidance of all things ITV.. point very firmly to my membership of the middle class.

Class assignment really is rather complex and as above 'essentially contested'. However.. if you have to concern yourself with the social class of yourself, or others.. you really don't get it. :p

I fear you are misreading my customary affected indignant displeasure. :D

Actually.. as it is old chap.. I own several TVs.. Might I borrow your revolver? Do the decent thing dontcha know... eh..what?

I fear you are misreading my customary affected indignant displeasure. :D

Actually.. as it is old chap.. I own several TVs.. Might I borrow your revolver? Do the decent thing dontcha know... eh..what?
Revolver? I prefer to use my Vintage Purdey...
Now where is my Sherry? I rang the bell five minutes ago...

:D

I appear to have missed that discussion. Any chance of a link?

However, Social Class being, as it is.. an 'essentially contested concept', I fear is is unwise, negligent and possibly even discriminatory, to assign, or impute, membership of , or aspiration to any social class, purely on the basis of the choice or ownership of domestic appliances.

The fact that I generally eschew the purchase of certain appliances might, in some minds point to me being solidly working class. And indeed I am of working class origin, and proudly so. However, ownership of such appliances points just as much to 'aspiration' as it does to 'arrival', in class terms. Also, real class is not measured in terms gadget ownership.

Of course it is arguable that anyone who needs to work for a living is Working Class. Equally, it is arguable that despite my deplorable dearth of coffee or ice cream makers, my ownership of a detached property in a 'desireable' area, my status as one quarter of a four graduate family and my habitual avoidance of all things ITV.. point very firmly to my membership of the middle class.

Class assignment really is rather complex and as above 'essentially contested'. However.. if you have to concern yourself with the social class of yourself, or others.. you really don't get it. :p

can you elaborate?

I believe we were struggling with a way to differentiate between working and middle class the other day?

I suggest the pannarello dichotomy may be just the thing.
In the sense, I assume, that WC see complicated and temperamental coffee machines and using Italian words of which they do not know the meaning as a ticket not merely to MC status, but to a status of glamourous cosmopolitan affluence. While by now servant-less MCs would be incapable of understanding the 50 page manual.

In the sense, I assume, that WC see complicated and temperamental coffee machines and using Italian words of which they do not know the meaning as a ticket not merely to MC status, but to a status of glamourous cosmopolitan affluence. While by now servant-less MCs would be incapable of understanding the 50 page manual.
Its surprising how ignorant of this topic some people are and then use their lack of knowledge to attack those who have made the effort.

Take a look at people who operate commercial coffee machines either in the chains or better at the boutique cafes. How much are they paid do you think and does that represent how difficult the job of pulling shots and foaming milk really is. Whilst the machines like anything else may be complex inside the operation is made straight forward and with a little time and effort virtually anyone can learn the necessary skills to a sufficient functional level.

The pannarello is just an attachment to a steam wand and its to help those who haven't learned the skill of making micro foamed milk often found on the cheaper machines. The espresso kit if you haven't twigged is of Italian origin so yes there will be several foreign words but they will be explained in the manual or just google them. Its better to use the proper name than a lazy 'thingummy'.

As for complex instructions the manual for my commercial La Spaziale has just 5 small pieces of paper i.e. 10 sides and most are pictures. The maintenance manual has just 9 sides printed on the 5 sheets. Once set up its just a case of push the buttons except for making foamed milk. Even my wife can painlessly pull great shots better than the chain coffee shops. She doesn't even use the programmed buttons but just her eyes.

My machine is 12 years old and is on every day and has been a rock solid performer only needing servicing just the once by a professional engineer to replace a magnetic float.

Its quicker to make a good cup of coffee than a good cup of tea with the right equipment.

For those who don't have the space or money then a very good cup can be made using a fliter like the swiss gold and a decent grinder,

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back