advertisement

Split rubber pannarello causes microfoam issue...

The only thing worse than snobbery is inverted snobbery. Well, that and poncey* coffee machines.

* Or poncy. Both look wrong.

Its surprising how ignorant of this topic some people are and then use their lack of knowledge to attack those who have made the effort.

Take a look at people who operate commercial coffee machines either in the chains or better at the boutique cafes. How much are they paid do you think and does that represent how difficult the job of pulling shots and foaming milk really is. Whilst the machines like anything else may be complex inside the operation is made straight forward and with a little time and effort virtually anyone can learn the necessary skills to a sufficient functional level.

The pannarello is just an attachment to a steam wand and its to help those who haven't learned the skill of making micro foamed milk often found on the cheaper machines. The espresso kit if you haven't twigged is of Italian origin so yes there will be several foreign words but they will be explained in the manual or just google them. Its better to use the proper name than a lazy 'thingummy'.

As for complex instructions the manual for my commercial La Spaziale has just 5 small pieces of paper i.e. 10 sides and most are pictures. The maintenance manual has just 9 sides printed on the 5 sheets. Once set up its just a case of push the buttons except for making foamed milk. Even my wife can painlessly pull great shots better than the chain coffee shops. She doesn't even use the programmed buttons but just her eyes.

My machine is 12 years old and is on every day and has been a rock solid performer only needing servicing just the once by a professional engineer to replace a magnetic float.

Its quicker to make a good cup of coffee than a good cup of tea with the right equipment.

For those who don't have the space or money then a very good cup can be made using a fliter like the swiss gold and a decent grinder,

Cheers,

DV[/QUOTE

I was only joking but humbly admit ignorance. I use a Bialetti "moka," buy my coffee at a shop and have it ground at 3.5 on their grinder. Sometimes I put the coffee in water in a small saucepan, bring it to the boil, just, wait 3 minutes to let the grounds settle and then pour it through a very fine tea strainer. Works well.

Its surprising how ignorant of this topic some people are and then use their lack of knowledge to attack those who have made the effort.

Take a look at people who operate commercial coffee machines either in the chains or better at the boutique cafes. How much are they paid do you think and does that represent how difficult the job of pulling shots and foaming milk really is. Whilst the machines like anything else may be complex inside the operation is made straight forward and with a little time and effort virtually anyone can learn the necessary skills to a sufficient functional level.

The pannarello is just an attachment to a steam wand and its to help those who haven't learned the skill of making micro foamed milk often found on the cheaper machines. The espresso kit if you haven't twigged is of Italian origin so yes there will be several foreign words but they will be explained in the manual or just google them. Its better to use the proper name than a lazy 'thingummy'.

As for complex instructions the manual for my commercial La Spaziale has just 5 small pieces of paper i.e. 10 sides and most are pictures. The maintenance manual has just 9 sides printed on the 5 sheets. Once set up its just a case of push the buttons except for making foamed milk. Even my wife can painlessly pull great shots better than the chain coffee shops. She doesn't even use the programmed buttons but just her eyes.

My machine is 12 years old and is on every day and has been a rock solid performer only needing servicing just the once by a professional engineer to replace a magnetic float.

Its quicker to make a good cup of coffee than a good cup of tea with the right equipment.

For those who don't have the space or money then a very good cup can be made using a fliter like the swiss gold and a decent grinder,

Cheers,

DV

If its a commercial machine, then A, I want your kitchen and B you should be getting it pressure tested annually.

Yes. Endlessly..but not from my phone..especially when I'm dahn the Bingo again..still playing ironically..
:
Mull, I was reflecting on your instant coffee post and realised that with that approach you’ll never need to experience split rubber pannarello micro foam issuance and there’s something to be said for that.

I appear to have missed that discussion. Any chance of a link?

However, Social Class being, as it is.. an 'essentially contested concept', I fear is is unwise, negligent and possibly even discriminatory, to assign, or impute, membership of , or aspiration to any social class, purely on the basis of the choice or ownership of domestic appliances.

The fact that I generally eschew the purchase of certain appliances might, in some minds point to me being solidly working class. And indeed I am of working class origin, and proudly so. However, ownership of such appliances points just as much to 'aspiration' as it does to 'arrival', in class terms. Also, real class is not measured in terms gadget ownership.

Of course it is arguable that anyone who needs to work for a living is Working Class. Equally, it is arguable that despite my deplorable dearth of coffee or ice cream makers, my ownership of a detached property in a 'desireable' area, my status as one quarter of a four graduate family and my habitual avoidance of all things ITV.. point very firmly to my membership of the middle class.

Class assignment really is rather complex and as above 'essentially contested'. However.. if you have to concern yourself with the social class of yourself, or others.. you really don't get it. :p

A working class Nescafé drinking oik would say that.

For the aspirational working class we have Nescafé Gold Blend. So sophisticated that the future quintessentially British posh Watcher of Buffy the Vampire Slayer was the man-totty in the 80s love story that was the Gold Blend adverts.

s3-news-tmp-59672-nescafe_main--default--300.jpg

I have a stainless steel version of the glorious Bialetti Moka, but it has a defective safety valve that opens, and screams, when it should not do so. All the Bialetti shops I've asked tell me they do not sell a replacement valve, nor do they repair the machines themselves. There are non-Bialetti valves on sale, but are they safe if I change it myself?

Paul...try the non proprietary replacement and if it doesn't work you just buy a new machine...they aren't expensive.

I have a stainless steel version of the glorious Bialetti Moka, but it has a defective safety valve that opens, and screams, when it should not do so. All the Bialetti shops I've asked tell me they do not sell a replacement valve, nor do they repair the machines themselves. There are non-Bialetti valves on sale, but are they safe if I change it myself?

how many years service has it given you?

how much did it cost you?

how many years service has it given you?

how much did it cost you?

Cost about 35 Euro. Only 3 years of service, so should be barely run-in. (It is what one used to do with cars, many years ago).

But I suspect these were rhetorical questions. Yes, I could by a new one, but these machines should run forever.

advertisement

Back