advertisement

Split rubber pannarello causes microfoam issue...

I have a stainless steel version of the glorious Bialetti Moka, but it has a defective safety valve that opens, and screams, when it should not do so. All the Bialetti shops I've asked tell me they do not sell a replacement valve, nor do they repair the machines themselves. There are non-Bialetti valves on sale, but are they safe if I change it myself?
Yes. You can swap them. You live in Italy, don't you? I got a small Mocha pot with a working pressure release valve in an Italian supermarket for a whole 1 Euro. 5 minutes with a spanner will see that swapped out.

not old then,

we had a trad alu one that lasted about 5 years

The alloy Bialetti's can't be put in a dishwasher. The metal corrodes horribly. But if you just rinse it out and periodically change the the rubber gasket, the light alluminium coffee basket and the metal filter plate, it should go on for decades. They usually get thrown away when the plastic handle disintegrates. It is funny, though, that the cheaper knock-offs never work or last as well.
Anecdote: When the son of the founder of the company, Renato Bialetti, died at 93 in 2016, by his own wish was cremated and his ashes buried in a gigantic 24-cup Moka.

Yes. You can swap them. You live in Italy, don't you? I got a small Mocha pot with a working pressure release valve in an Italian supermarket for a whole 1 Euro. 5 minutes with a spanner will see that swapped out.
Yup. That's what I'll do. I'm in Tel Aviv right now, but in the south of the city there are shops that sell knock-offs made in Turkey and China, so they should have spare valves.

But if you just rinse it out and periodically change the the rubber gasket

ours wasnt used that much after we got the Isomac Zaffiro, which made much nicer drinks. From memory I think the gasket went and the whole thing went into the bin.

ours wasnt used that much after we got the Isomac Zaffiro, which made much nicer drinks. From memory I think the gasket went and the whole thing went into the bin.
Funny that. You replace a simple £10 stovetop item with £750 of purpose built prosumer level machine, and the new thing makes better drinks.

I'm not a great fan of mocha pot coffee, I can't help thinking that a cafetiere is an easier way to a nicer drink. The Italians call it "Caffe Franchesi" and they generally prefer it to any mocha pot coffee made by an Inglesi like me.

Funny that. You replace a simple £10 stovetop item with £750 of purpose built prosumer level machine, and the new thing makes better drinks.

wasnt really a replacement - we were using espresso machines before we gave up on the pot. Difference kind of drink really. Zaffiro is still alive after 10 years, although I think the pump is on its last legs, and spares are difficult to get. We still use a dripper, turkish ibrik (electric), french press and cold brew filter as the whim takes us depending on the drink we want.

I just wish my grinder would grind fine enough for turkish.

I use a French press. It makes good coffee and apart from occasionally having to renew the plunger mesh every few years, they are pretty much maintenance free.
I've never managed to wear out a plunger mesh, someone always manages to break the glass before that happens. I've worked out that an Asda cheapie has an interchangeable glass with a Bodum press, so I buy one of them and dump the spare bits because a Bodum glass is some ludicrous price.

advertisement

Back