advertisement

Speaker coupling - it's an actual thing

I just played Mars from The Planets in binaural (via the BBC) and the results were okay. I'm now playing Mars from a CD rip and I think the latter sounds better, more involving. Admittedly, it's not a like for like comparison as different DACs were used for one thing. But it was worth exploring all the same :)

That's it in a nutshell, well worth the effort IMHO to get things spot on with loudspeaker positioning.
I always use Roger Waters 'Amused to Death' as one of my set up tools for speaker positioning, they used 'Q-sound' on this recording. The Great Dane should sound like it's barking right outside the room and the horses and carriage and the Ferrari should sound like they passing on a road way, way , way behind the speakers.
It's also a great listen and a great album.

When I was playing binaural music just there I did wonder how Q-Sound would sound. I've got Amused To Death so I'll give it a play next...

EDIT: I can't find it. It's the blu ray version that came in an oversized case so I've obviously put it someplace where it fits better than where I thought it was. Doh!

50815876158_017996a1d7_c.jpg
50815876158_017996a1d7_c.jpg
Is that your room, OP?

If so, the asymmetry of loudspeaker positioning and other room artefacts is unlikely to produce a central image without some independent EQ of the channels. I mean, the right loudspeaker is has another proximal reflecting surface, which would completely change its bass response.

But if it works for you, that's great.

Yeah, that's my living room or at least, that's how it was a few years ago. The KLH Model 5s are situated 2 or 3 inches to the left and right of the mana, but they're over a foot away from the wall behind them. Although the right speaker is near two walls the side wall runs away from the speaker (and the wall behind the speaker) due to the tenement building being on a bend in the road; this means there are very few right angles within the property, plus it's old and saggy to boot.

That said, and physics aside, it totally works and so much so following the last adjustment that led to the creation of this thread. Regardless of how it might sound to anybody else, the coupling or sense of coupling and all the other good stuff I've been talking is present for sure and take the Pepsi challenge on that:)

I had the bright dumb idea of trying out different interfaces between stands and speakers and sure enough, I knocked the speakers out of position. FFS!

48 hours later and everything's back in alignment. As long as I wake up tomorrow and everything still sounds right I swear, I'm never touching those speakers again - not even with a duster!

But there is a silver lining to accompany the frustration of the last two days: I now know a good song to test fluidity between speakers. I was just playing Radio-Activity by Kraftwerk and Antenna is absolutely bursting with dynamic panning i.e. audio content that flows from left to right and vice versa. I couldn't remember what I'd played before that told me that speaker fluidity is off the charts but I'll add Antenna to my checklist of tracks to play following a change to make sure everything's as it should be.

How fluid are your speakers when it comes to dynamic panning?

advertisement

Back