advertisement

Speaker coupling - it's an actual thing

I'm confused by this thread.
My speakers (Ditton 44's) just produce a wall of sound which extends beyond either side of them (up and down as well).
Tow in or tow out, makes very little difference.
The bass was fine tuned by moving them out a little bit from the back wall to eliminate a slight boominess.
If I turn away slightly then the centre of the sound stage just moves in sync.
I do sit further back than recommended but have never found the listening position to be critical.
I would posit that there's something wrong with your room if 1 or 2 centimeters makes such a difference.
Maybe I'm just lucky and my listening room acoustics match the speakers.

Confused but contented from Dundee.

Just enjoy, and certainly ignore Roy Gregory shuffling around 1mm here or there. He’s the guy who adjusted VTA by microns whilst ignoring the different thickness of records.

I also thought it was about physical coupling.
My standmount speakers , with OEM stands, reccomend physically bolting them together, 4 screws in each stand going up into the bottom of the speaker.
They're Andrew Jones designed, and guess he knows a thing or 2 about speakers.
But others take a totally different stand ( no pun) , had some Raidho , and the stands were all wobbly and moved about, quite disconcerting.

Just enjoy, and certainly ignore Roy Gregory shuffling around 1mm here or there. He’s the guy who adjusted VTA by microns whilst ignoring the different thickness of records.
Well no, part of his whole VTA thing is about catering for different thicknesses of records.

Which is why he advocates arms which can adjust VTA on the fly, such as the Kuzma, or VPI. It's not difficult, with one of those. No harder than putting a record clamp on, say. Anyway, that's a diversion from the point of the thread. I would just add that getting VTA spot on has an effect not unlike what the OP has described.

Actually he changed his tune somewhat when the absurdity of it was apparent. Anyway, off topic as you say.

You would love Townshend supports then! 😁
I knew Max personally, a lovely guy, one of the HiFi mavericks .
I met him once as he was launching those speaker supports, he had a laptop wired to some sensors on the speakers, showing some resonance ( or whatever it was) as I walked around in front of the speakers.
My response ( no pun ) was, Max, I sit down when I listen !
They weren't for me, but did own a couple of seismic sinks , under the TT and CDP, and bought one of his prototype wobbly , floaty , seismic isolation hifi stands, ( which he and his wife, Sue delivered to my house) which I regret selling.

Barry Diament is a renown recording engineer. He has a nice writeup on setting up loudspeakers in your room to eliminate the harmful effects of the room itself. I’m fortunate my listening room minimizes those effects and allows me to maximize loudspeaker placement. Well worth a read, it contains good advice from Peter Walker and George Cardas as well.

Last edited:
Did someone mention IKEA speaker stands earlier, the ones that are like a cradle and which are tilted to allow the speakers to aim upwards towards the listener? I just picked up a pair in a charity shop for three quid. I wouldn't have bought them but for somebody having just mentioned them yesterday or maybe the day before, whether in this thread or another. So thank you :)

Tony and I accept your thanks - after all you gifted Addis pads to the world. If you have any speakers the right size, give them a go.

All I can say is the before and after are worlds apart. Not that the before was bad, far from it. But the after is just so much better.
Reading about your discovery made me wonder if listening to Binaural recordings could be amazing on your set up? The ones where they record with a dummy heid. However, I see the technique aimed at primarily headphone users.
Be interesting all the same. Maybe you have hit upon a position where your speakers are acting like giant head phones? ( I'm kind of joking here).

Reading about your discovery made me wonder if listening to Binaural recordings could be amazing on your set up? The ones where they record with a dummy heid. However, I see the technique aimed at primarily headphone users.
Be interesting all the same. Maybe you have hit upon a position where your speakers are acting like giant head phones? ( I'm kind of joking here).

I'll see if I can cast binaural content to my Chromecast Audio and give it a go...

My take is that this is about the level of precision with which we should position loudspeakers. You can get 'good enough', 'nearly right' and 'wow, everything just snapped into focus', and these can be just millimetres apart.
This inconvenient fact also means that shifting your listening position by just millimetres can snap things out of focus. I confess to sometimes moving while listening to music!

All I can say is the before and after are worlds apart. Not that the before was bad, far from it. But the after is just so much better.
That's it in a nutshell, well worth the effort IMHO to get things spot on with loudspeaker positioning.
I always use Roger Waters 'Amused to Death' as one of my set up tools for speaker positioning, they used 'Q-sound' on this recording. The Great Dane should sound like it's barking right outside the room and the horses and carriage and the Ferrari should sound like they passing on a road way, way , way behind the speakers.
It's also a great listen and a great album.

This inconvenient fact also means that shifting your listening position by just millimetres can snap things out of focus. I confess to sometimes moving while listening to music!
The curious thing is that it doesn't, though. IME the image stays stable when you shift your position, and focus seems unaffected. Almost as though the brain can 'latch on' and then deal with movement as it does in every other aspect of life where we move relative to a sound source.

advertisement

Back