advertisement

Soundtracks better than the film.

Just discussing this with a friend at work, he made the point of every Tarantino film fitting this category perfectly. I couldn't disagree.

Zidane. Truely dreadful movie but with soundtrack by Mogwai
And following on from that, the recent ZeroZeroZero series, again soundtracked by Mogwai. The series was never anywhere near as dark and ominous as the music wanted you to feel.

I've a guilty pleasure for Michael Mann films, some more of his that 'slip under the radar' and have some cracking soundtracks:

Manhunter (1986) - The original 'Red Dragon', less well known than the later Hannibal films but the soundtrack is ace.

It is indeed an incredible soundtrack but I wouldn't say it's better than the film - they compliment each other brilliantly.

And following on from that, the recent ZeroZeroZero series, again soundtracked by Mogwai. The series was never anywhere near as dark and ominous as the music wanted you to feel.
Not seen the Zero3 series, but Zidane is the only film I’ve ever walked out of, and I’ve seen some shockers!

Hesitate to put this one in, because I think the film is superb, but the soundtrack to American Beauty is superberer.

I'm not sure I can say the following soundtracks are better than their respective visual counterparts, but Trainspotting and Koyaniskaatsi have great soundtracks. In fact, I'd even go so far as to say the soundtrack to Koyaanisqatsi is inseparable from the film. I know you can listen to the audio all by itself but it sounds best when heard in its native form: as the soundtrack to the film Koyaanisqatsi.

I kind of thought, after OP's reference to Shaft, a short list would be obvious - but here for completeness:
  1. Marvin Gaye - Trouble Man;
  2. Curtis Mayfield - Super Fly (that film is just... well... at least there is a timeless OST);
  3. The Final Solution - Brotherman (winner of the category since the film never got made); and, finally, for an atypical OST,
  4. Art Ensemble of Chicago - Les Stances a Sophie.

I kind of thought, after OP's reference to Shaft, a short list would be obvious - but here for completeness:
  1. Marvin Gaye - Trouble Man;
  2. Curtis Mayfield - Super Fly (that film is just... well... at least there is a timeless OST);
  3. The Final Solution - Brotherman (winner of the category since the film never got made); and, finally, for an atypical OST,
  4. Art Ensemble of Chicago - Les Stances a Sophie.
Superfly and Trouble man are cracking soundtracks, a must have for collectors of the genre. I have both films on my try to find list, and Black Caesar & Willy Dynamite.

Rumble Fish.

Bit arty farty film (but I would watch it again, not seen it for decades) interesting soundtrack.

R-3246038-1586523585-5025.jpeg.jpg

More Images

Stewart Copeland ‎– Rumble Fish (The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Label:
A&M Records ‎– AMLH 64983, A&M Records ‎– SP-6-4983
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album
Europe
Released:

advertisement

Back