advertisement

Soundtracks better than the film.

stairpost

Average at best.
I'm halfway through Shaft (1971), and while it's not a bad film at all, the soundtrack has definitely stood the test of time better. As a soundtrack fan I've got a few of the 'blaxploitation' OSTs on vinyl, and having managed to catch a couple of the films over the last few months it seems to be that they all aged less well than the music.

Is it unique to that genre, or do soundtracks just mature better than films? Ipcress file aside, as both film and OST are still fabulous.

Thief (1981) - Its a 'Good film' by Michael Mann starring James Caan but the Tangerine Soundtrack is superb.

Lost Boys (1987) - Again, I love the film, its an 80s classic teen vampire event, not really that 'good' but the soundtrack makes it so much better. Just pure 80s !
I havent seen Lost boys since it came out, I must put it on my watch list.

Interesting that they are both from the 80s, I think the 80s was when I was the right age for Hollywood blockbusters, and all I remember is Axel F and Ghostbusters.

Thief (1981) - Its a 'Good film' by Michael Mann starring James Caan but the Tangerine Soundtrack is superb.

Lost Boys (1987) - Again, I love the film, its an 80s classic teen vampire event, not really that 'good' but the soundtrack makes it so much better. Just pure 80s !
Just had a quick listen to Thief, sounds good, I'll have a proper listen later.

Just had a quick listen to Thief, sounds good, I'll have a proper listen later.

I've a guilty pleasure for Michael Mann films, some more of his that 'slip under the radar' and have some cracking soundtracks:

Manhunter (1986) - The original 'Red Dragon', less well known than the later Hannibal films but the soundtrack is ace.
Miami Vice (2006) - Remake of the TV series, bit style over substance but an amazing collection of songs
The Keep (1983) - Proper guilty pleasure, a real 'cult film', filled with plot holes as it was cut down to death and not properly relased. Interesting story but superb Tangerine Dream soundtrack again.

I've a guilty pleasure for Michael Mann films, some more of his that 'slip under the radar' and have some cracking soundtracks:

Manhunter (1986) - The original 'Red Dragon', less well known than the later Hannibal films but the soundtrack is ace.
Miami Vice (2006) - Remake of the TV series, bit style over substance but an amazing collection of songs
The Keep (1983) - Proper guilty pleasure, a real 'cult film', filled with plot holes as it was cut down to death and not properly relased. Interesting story but superb Tangerine Dream soundtrack again.
I have heard interesting things about the Keep. It does have a bit of a cult following. I'll add it to my watch & listen lists.

I have heard interesting things about the Keep. It does have a bit of a cult following. I'll add it to my watch & listen lists.
The Keep is an odd one, Sir Ian McKellan plays a half role, it really was cut within an inch of its life so the film does not really flow. The soundtrack is superb though, along with Thief, some great Tangerine Dream!

The Keep is an odd one, Sir Ian McKellan plays a half role, it really was cut within an inch of its life so the film does not really flow. The soundtrack is superb though, along with Thief, some great Tangerine Dream!
I don't have TV so I'm always on the look out for interesting things to watch, and if it has a great soundtrack then that's even better.

Different genre, but the soundtrack to Spawn is pretty decent, while the movie...
The soundtrack to Atomic Blonde I also found to be excellent, but I find the film’s no slouch; IMO they worked incredibly well together.

I started watching The Keep, but it looked like it was going to get a bit creepy for a film before bed, the talk of not touching the crosses and the lights swinging set the tone. I'll resume it in the safety of daylight tomorrow :)

Most TD soundtracks are better than the film: Auf Scheißer schießt man nicht (Underground), Geradeaus Bis Zum Morgen, Sorcerer (Wages of Fear), Thief (Violent Streets), Dead Solid Perfect, Deadly Care, Codename the Soldier, The Park is Mine, Shy People, Miracle Mile, What a Blast...

The only one where the film is better than the soundtrack is Near Dark.

Also add to the list: Moebius - Blue Moon, Klaus Schulze - Body Love

I've had Ry Cooder's soundtrack for Johnny Handsome on vinyl pretty much since it was released and it's great. But I have never seen the film. Is it any good?

advertisement

Back