advertisement

[WTD] Sony Professional Walkman WM-D6C

deltaunit

pfm Member
Had a working one of these for years and as of tonight I now don't... :(

Looking for a replacement before chancing one off eBay. Do you have one stored away that isn't being used?

Thanks for looking.

Thanks Tony, yes probably best to sell on to someone with a broken mech or other fault.
I think this would have probably been one of the first things I bought on PFM about 10+ years ago, price has gone up a little bit since but hope I can find another!

I do have! I need to get it out of whatever safe place I've kept it in. I have spied it recently whilst sorting through stuff - I'll dig it out and give it a once over to see if it still works (it's been unused for maybe 10 years but stored sans batteries and in a dry environment).

I think this would have probably been one of the first things I bought on PFM about 10+ years ago, price has gone up a little bit since but hope I can find another!

There are a lot out there, always 15 or so on eBay, but stupidly expensive now. I paid £200 for mine here a couple of years ago in unworking condition, but it is fine now after a good clean and new belts, idlers etc. I stuck a thread in the classic room detailing the process. Annoyingly it is one of the final models with surface mount caps, which are currently beyond my skillset in servicing. I feel time is ticking there; I need to get those skills sometime before they crap their corrosive goo over the board!

PS I know I’ll upset some here, but I don’t think the Walkman Pro is that good at all! This is the second I’ve owned and any half decent three-head deck kills it sound quality wise. I view it as a nostalgia thing, something very cool and iconic that doesn’t take up much shelf space and enables playing cassettes in the very rare situations I want to, but it was woefully over-hyped performance wise. A Nakamichi it is not!

I do have! I need to get it out of whatever safe place I've kept it in. I have spied it recently whilst sorting through stuff - I'll dig it out and give it a once over to see if it still works (it's been unused for maybe 10 years but stored sans batteries and in a dry environment).
Thanks Jason, appreciate that. Check the power supply cables when you do! :)

FWIW I advise just running them on high quality rechargeable batteries to remove risk. I have a set of Panasonic Eneloop Pro in mine as they hold a charge for ages (years) and won’t leak. I do have the proper Sony PSU, but it would be so easy to make a mistake I don’t tend to use it.

There are a lot out there, always 15 or so on eBay, but stupidly expensive now. I pad £200 for mine here a couple of years ago in unworking condition, but it is fine now after a good clean and new belts, idlers etc. I stuck a thread in the classic room detailing the process. Annoyingly it is one of the final models with surface mount caps, which are currently beyond my skillset in servicing. I feel time is ticking there; I need to get those skills sometime before they crap their corrosive goo over the board!

PS I know I’ll upset some here, but I don’t think the Walkman Pro is that good at all! This is the second I’ve owned and any half decent three-head deck kills it sound quality wise. I view it as a nostalgia thing, something very cool and iconic that doesn’t take up much shelf space and enables playing cassettes in the very rare situations I want to, but it was woefully over-hyped performance wise. A Nakamichi it is not!
Annoyingly I lent mine to someone I'm no longer in touch with over a decade ago and there's zero chance I'll ever see it again...

It sounds as if you have damaged the CX20084 motor controller chip. Unfortunately this is a weak point on the D6C. It can also be damaged by using a switch mode power supply, as virtually all modern plug top power supplies sold now are, or a supply which delivers over 6V.

Please see my posting on Stereo2go regarding the problems with the CX20084 chip:

"Sony WM-D6C and DD Series Walkmans - WARNING! Read this before plugging in any DC adaptor!"

Unfortunately it's too late for @deltaunit but it may save somebody else from a similar fate.

Great to see you here @Deb64, I read a lot of your posts over at Tapeheads when figuring out how to fix my own WMD6C. I don’t want to harass you with questions the minute you turn up here on pfm, but one day I’ll ask you about surface-mount caps in the later versions (which mine is)! Welcome to pfm!

I have a virtually unused one from, I think from 89/90 ish. Must have about 100 hours on it as it was barely used for it’s intended purpose then, and never used since.
From memory it o ooks like new. It was my parent’s, and probably not been tested even to see if it’s operable for at least 16 years. Seem to remember loads of bits and a case with it.

@Deb64 very kindly serviced my WM-D6C which I have powered by a voltage modified Naim SNAPS, it sounds really good and makes recordings very close to the source. I am not sure why it is so good, but I have found the sound to be better than the few Nakamichis I have owned which have been either a bit dull or unreliable. I grew up with a lot of cassette and have great memories of it, I would like to try a full size recorder but have no idea where to start.

There are a lot out there, always 15 or so on eBay, but stupidly expensive now. I paid £200 for mine here a couple of years ago in unworking condition, but it is fine now after a good clean and new belts, idlers etc. I stuck a thread in the classic room detailing the process. Annoyingly it is one of the final models with surface mount caps, which are currently beyond my skillset in servicing. I feel time is ticking there; I need to get those skills sometime before they crap their corrosive goo over the board!

Totally agree Tony. I was buying one new for my 21st birthday but the Sony WM-701C walked all over it when used as a Walkman. I already had a 3 head Denon cassette deck to make decent recordings with anyway.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
@Tony L the later D6Cs, which use mostly surface mount devices do seem to be more prone to electrolytic capacitor problems. I have come across a few cases where the caps have gone noisy or high ESR. The symptoms of this can include the motor running fast, and, in some cases, slowing down after a few seconds, noise on recordings or the -20dB recording attenuator permanently switched in.

I always recommend using Eneloop Pros with a D6 or D6C. The walkman will play for a few hours on a set and the voltage is a little lower than with alkaline batteries, so it's a bit more gentle on the CX20084 chip.

Even if you have a genuine Sony power supply, do check the output voltage before plugging it into your D6C. I have come across a few which deliver 6.7 or 6.8 Volts. Knowing what I know now about the CX20084, and the fact that it is directly connected to the incoming power supply without any kind of protection, I would not plug that into a D6C.
The regulators in old power supplies can fail. A few months ago, my old Netgear router failed. When I opened it up, I found a swollen electrolytic capacitor. I checked the output from the "12V DC" power supply and it was delivering over 17V.

@Tony L the later D6Cs, which use mostly surface mount devices do seem to be more prone to electrolytic capacitor problems.

Do you work on the SMD versions? I’d be tempted to book a place in your (I believe lengthy!) queue for a full service if so. I actually just bumped my old WM-D6C thread with a fresh pic. It looks fine/works fine at present, but I just don’t trust it to keep doing so! I know way too many computers of that era to trust SMD caps!

advertisement

Back