advertisement

[WTD] Sony Professional Walkman WM-D6C

Yes I do work on the SMD versions. Your comment on SMD caps is interesting. I assumed that the ones which Sony used hadn't stood the test of time as well as the pin thru versions but it seems as if they're not as good generally.

I had a WM-D6C which I only used to record the Folkweave show from R2, but since sold. Great machine as it was small enough to fit in the coffee table next to the hifi.

I sold it a few years ago, but I have two of the Sony power supplies AC-D4M available, probably boxes too...

Send a pm if you want one or both...

This is what mine looked as I gave it a service, poor photos, but never intended for show.

DSCN4849.jpg

DSCN4850.jpg

Spotted this thread and visited to check the enquiring Fishie was aware of the work and reputation of Debs… and here she is! Debs’ room at the Stoke Wam Show was a sonic treat, a real standout for me and many others. Hers will be a popular room at the Barnsley show, I’m sure.

@Deb64 great to chat at the Staverton Park show and to see you here too. Barnsley then!

Yes I do work on the SMD versions. Your comment on SMD caps is interesting. I assumed that the ones which Sony used hadn't stood the test of time as well as the pin thru versions but it seems as if they're not as good generally.
Can you rebuild my chroma board from a Panasonic SVHS? Plays ace in monochrome, but the colour is terrible. Otherwise all is tip top. C1992 so right into the smd cap plague...

Hi deb64, I believe we chatted at the wam show. I am the guy with the elcaset el7.
Anyway after getting home I went up in the loft and found my old sony DC2, it looks like it still might work but haven't any cassettes to try in it at the moment.

But nice to chat about tape for a change.
Cheers dunc

Hi Dunc,

It was nice meeting you at the show. The Elcaset looks really interesting.
The DC2 is a really nice player but there are a couple of things you should be aware of with it. Firstly it uses the dreaded CX20084 motor controller chip, which is so easily destroyed by switch mode, reverse polarity or high voltage power supplies so I recommend using batteries only to power it.
Also it has the DD centre gear which usually cracks after 30 years or so. Basically the gear comprises a moulded plastic outer part, which is formed around a steel disc. Over time the plastic shrinks and the steel doesn't. so the plastic gear cracks. If you power it up and it makes a rhythmic mechanical clicking sound then that is a sign that the gear has cracked. It this happens, you can easily get a repair kit for it.

I have both, a working D-6C (SM version), recently serviced by Deb64 in July 22 and little used since (about 10 hours realistically) AND, I have two CX20084 chips which I believe to be genuine, I sold 2 to Debbie at the time she repaired mine and they worked at that time, I don't know if that is still the case as we have not really spoken since that time but I have no reason to believe otherwise. I would sell one and keep the other for my own spare D-6C (in storage currently).

PM me if you are interested in either option - cheers
Mike

advertisement

Back