advertisement

Sony ES

I had an ES TAN902 power amp for a while. Probably best to avoid these as they are virtually unrepairable. Mine tripped out the power when one output went and took the switched mode power supply with it.

I don't know what your taste runs too Richard but there's loads of them out there, pick anything with decent xmos input or better, and jitter rejection over 120db and you can't go wrong. Weiss 202, 505, gustard A18, x16, 26pro smsl m400, topping d90 , most of the Holo dacs.

I don't know what your taste runs too Richard but there's loads of them out there, pick anything with decent xmos input or better, and jitter rejection over 120db and you can't go wrong. Weiss 202, 505, gustard A18, x16, 26pro smsl m400, topping d90 , most of the Holo dacs.

Thanks - they‘re all a bit new for me to be honest, but maybe I should try one at some point to rule what maybe misconceptions on my side, fair point :)

I wonder how it measurably or audible beats any other blameless transport, the older cdm for example?

I've had CD transports in my Marantz NA-11 dac/streamer sound completely different. Sorry, but measurements are inaudible to me.

The most obvious for me was the Benchmark 1. No idea how it measures but it was lauded at the time. Sounded very different with each transport and when a CDP was used, essentially a worse version of that.

Hi ES folk, just a quickie if l may what size/ type of screw will is required to fit the Rosewood side cheeks to a SONY 770ES amplifier, or better still a link to such screws?

Hi ES folk, just a quickie if l may what size/ type of screw will is required to fit the Rosewood side cheeks to a SONY 770ES amplifier, or better still a link to such screws?
The TA-F770ES service manual can be found on the web. It seems to identify the side panel screw as either "SCREW (UK)" or "SCREW (4x25) (AEP, E, Germany)".

As you may know, ES units didn't come with the wood side cheeks in the UK, hence the two different screws.

I have an ES CD player that does have wood side cheeks. I wanted to remove them, to give the UK look and match other non-Sony equipment, and when I did so I saw a sticker saying "Caution when using this model without sidewoods, exchange long screws for included short ones (M4x6)", which caught me by surprise. This particular player was second-hand to me, and funnily enough I didn't have the screws. So I had the opposite problem to you! Looking at the service manual for mine shows it also has "UK" and "4x25" screw options.

So I think they could both well use M4x6 (no side cheeks) and M4x25 (side cheeks) screws. If you Google you'll find a world of fun about ISO metric screw threads. So you need an M4 screw of length 25mm, not sure what thread pitch, but I think there is some kind of conventional pitch for an M4 screw.

Anyway, I ordered "DURATOOL DT000394 M4 x 6mm Black Oxide Pan Head Pozidriv Machine Screws, 50 Pack" from CPC Farnell, because they seemed like a reliable supplier, and those screws looked very close to the original longer ones in style. They worked fine (and I have the bonus of having 42 spares). So look for some M4 x 25mm screws, once you've double-checked my reasoning, and eyeballed the manuals to make sure I didn't make a mistake. Be careful screwing them in, obviously, if they don't seem to fit or foul on something or are too long or whatever, stop! But probably you'll be fine. Hope this helps.

This morning got some M4 25MM Mushroom head screws from a local, independent hardware shop, however these were only available in silver- not a problem coloured the heads with a well known marker pen brand the screws fitted perfectly, all is cobbled together with the added bonus the top and side covers no longer ring like a bell.👍

Shout out to @bigblue for his help

🤟

Any thoughts on an 620es cd player? Picked one up a few years back for little money plays nicely but does not sound as good as a Naim CD5. Wondering do these players benefit from support shelves tip toes etc?

advertisement

Back