Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Sony ES

Discussion in 'audio' started by Countryman, May 2, 2021.

1. wow&flutter

wow&flutter pfm Member

On checking it may have been “UK Special” on the badge and it also appeared on some of the AV amps as well. I think it was in response to some grey imports that appeared in the UK at the time.
    Here’s a pic of a TAFB940R with the additional badge

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/9g0AAOSw2V5fsSRS/s-l300.jpg

2. Amber Audio

Amber Audio This is the Day

UK
    Sound Tuned

UK
    Special Edition

3. wow&flutter

wow&flutter pfm Member

Sound right :)

4. Amber Audio

Amber Audio This is the Day

Not great pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wow&flutter likes this.
  5. fred sonnen

fred sonnen pfm Member

It has nothing to do with the actual topic, but "VAG" is the abbreviation of "Volkswagen Aktien Gesellschaft".

The Bish and Mike P like this.
  6. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

Tarzan and Hoopsontoast like this.
  7. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  8. booja30

booja30 pfm Member

TA-F3000ES:
    [​IMG]
    ;)

9. Tarzan

Tarzan pfm Member

Going all gooey looking at this ES stuff...:D

10. say it as it is

say it as it is pfm Member

hands up I have been oblivious to ES until now, clearly I suffered from the hype the industry peddled in not thinking Sony was a match for Naim, Rega etc even Rotel held more esteem.

shame on me this has been a pleasant education, to be fair at a much lesser extent the same applied with Rotel SE models the amps at least have different sound.

Tarzan and booja30 like this.
  11. Hcanning

Hcanning pfm Member

Same. I need more money.

12. say it as it is

say it as it is pfm Member

this thread is dangerous!

my overdraft just took a hit to get a CDP 337ESD

for the baby player it weighs a fair bit lol

that drawer and mechanism is sublime has to be said to quote an old phrase the don't make em like that anymore!

be interesting see how this compares to CD3 and tweaked Rotel 955

13. gustav_errata

gustav_errata pfm Member

Thanks Mike for the detailed info. I have been thinking about buying a CD player lately with these Sony models at the top of my list broadly speaking but I have found the model-numbering to be bewildering and it's also difficult to find out which ones are built on unobtanium.

Now to keep my eye out and my budget budgeted.

14. MichaelC

MichaelC pfm Member

k90tour, Tarzan and Amber Audio like this.
  15. Mike P

Mike P pfm Member

16. MichaelC

MichaelC pfm Member

Thank you. I will move that shelf up a notch.

You'll be pleased to hear your fine fettling has worked a treat, stunning build and sound quality from Sony in those ES days. You may notice the baby Q Acoustics, well at least one of them, and despite far from ideal positioning they make some rather nice noises. There's still room for one further component in the cabinet...

Mike P likes this.
  17. G.smith310

G.smith310 pfm Member

That looks absolutely stunning. I can imagine good synergy with the Q acoustics sound. Are the speakers coping ok with that much power or are they feeling "choked" at all ?

18. MichaelC

MichaelC pfm Member

Whilst it is clear the baby Q Acoustics will have limitations given their size and of course their relative budget nature they are working surprisingly well. In fact they provide for a highly entertaining sound and do surprising detail Subject of course to the expected limitations. I wouldn't though seek to push them too hard. The quarter mark on the volume control is more than sufficient, and for their intended use ie music during dinner we don't have the sound turned up that much.

19. MichaelC

MichaelC pfm Member

Incidentally, the pictures do not do justice to the quality of the workmanship which has gone into the cabinets.

I am inclined to commission Simon to build us another cabinet, albeit one that has nothing to do with music.