advertisement

SONY ES

A heads-up for all you Sony ES fans.

My own collection of Sony CD players has got a bit out of hand lately and I'll soon be selling a number of players. Keep an eye out in the classifieds over the coming days.

Potential buyers - please contact me via PM rather than on this thread.

Well Taff's X7ESD arrived with me yesterday refusing the power up. A new power cord and mains plug later it was powering on fine but had a dead variable/headphone output which turned out to be a severed cable.

With new belts and a quick service it's now in my rack getting a good test. I've a few more parts arriving for it over the next couple of days and then it'll be going to its new home.

The build quality is absolutely amazing!

I won't spoil Taff's fun by giving you a full review but suffice to say that it's right up there with the best I've ever heard (and so it should be!).

I've also acquired another four CDP's for myself (shhh don't tell my wife) and will report back with updates in due course.

I picked up the X7 from Mike last week and have now had a chance to give it a decent listen. It’s very much a 338 on steroids - a different balance to the 337 - but sounds better on quite a few CDs than the latter. Bass is superb and the detail and dynamics are fantastic so I think it’s a keeper. Well worth looking out for.

I picked up the X7 from Mike last week and have now had a chance to give it a decent listen. It’s very much a 338 on steroids - a different balance to the 337 - but sounds better on quite a few CDs than the latter. Bass is superb and the detail and dynamics are fantastic so I think it’s a keeper. Well worth looking out for.

Glad you like it Taff :)

I ordered all the stuff I need for doing the DAC distortion adjustments and will let you knw when I'm good to go.

Interesting. I bought a CDP-338ESd back in '92. Most people hadn't heard of it - even in the late 90's. I used to run it with a DAC. Then I found an Arcam Alpha 7 bested it. It's a solid player, looks good.

But play music? It's a little challenged, there. It's largely inoffensive, though lacks any magic.

Years ago, I gave it away to a mate, who needed a CDP and had an ES amp. Gave it back to me years later, though his ex-lady had tossed the box with the lovely side-cheeks in it. So it hangs around, doing loaner duties. A CDX (or even CD3) pisses on it from a very great height.

Great to see enthusiasm and interest in this somewhat 'hewn from granite' heavily engineered Japanese players.

Know it well; interested in your perspective v the ES machines you know well. For me, the CDX was the first CDP that had the pace and fun, and did most of the tune stuff, like a late-80's LP12/Valhalla/Ittok...

Know it well; interested in your perspective v the ES machines you know well. For me, the CDX was the first CDP that had the pace and fun, and did most of the tune stuff, like a late-80's LP12/Valhalla/Ittok...

Not sure but I believe Andrew (Flatpopely) has a LP12 so he may have a view on how the 338 compares(?)

I had a 338 which I enjoyed for many years before I took a trip to the local HiFi store. There a Naim CD3.5 walked all over it I'm afraid and it was sold to a friend soon afterwards. Great engineering and looks but ultimately it didn't sound as musical as the 3.5.

CHE

Would anyone know of any alternative remotes that might work with a Sony 337 ESD?
I just bought one that didn't come with the remote and it would be useful to get hold of one. I believe (from googling) the original remote model is a RM D650 but if there others that will perform 90% of the functions, that would be fine for me. In fact I did previously own a 337 that came with some little Sony remote that definitely wasn't the correct one, so I guess there may be a few that should work?

Would anyone know of any alternative remotes that might work with a Sony 337 ESD?
I just bought one that didn't come with the remote and it would be useful to get hold of one. I believe (from googling) the original remote model is a RM D650 but if there others that will perform 90% of the functions, that would be fine for me. In fact I did previously own a 337 that came with some little Sony remote that definitely wasn't the correct one, so I guess there may be a few that should work?

My experience is that almost any Sony remote from that era will work. I have RM-D600 and and RM-D590 and they both work with a 337.

My experience is that almost any Sony remote from that era will work. I have RM-D600 and and RM-D590 and they both work with a 337.

Great, thanks Mike, that should make it easy enough to find one that works then.
Fab machines these, really pleased to have one back in the house.

Fab machines these, really pleased to have one back in the house.

Yes they really are excellent players, congratulations on your purchase!

I've got two 337's myself (one highly modded and one standard) and I've serviced/repaired/upgraded many more for other people.

The KSS-190a lasers are very durable but it would be worth bagging yourself a spare if you see one for sale as they're getting very rare now.

Enjoy:)

I had a 338 which I enjoyed for many years before I took a trip to the local HiFi store. There a Naim CD3.5 walked all over it I'm afraid and it was sold to a friend soon afterwards. Great engineering and looks but ultimately it didn't sound as musical as the 3.5.
CHE

I had a CD 3.5 in my system a few weeks ago when it was with me for repair (new laser). I thought it was nicely musical in an inoffensive sort of way but coloured and lacking resolution (typical in my experience for the TDA1305).

I remember that the 338 had a much more clean/detailed sort of sound which fans of this player will see as "accurate" but others may call "sterile". At the end of the day they're both equally nice players but with different characters.

Yes they really are excellent players, congratulations on your purchase!

I've got two 337's myself (one highly modded and one standard) and I've serviced/repaired/upgraded many more for other people.

The KSS-190a lasers are very durable but it would be worth bagging yourself a spare if you see one for sale as they're getting very rare now.

Enjoy:)

Mike - I've pm'd you with the well overdue pics of the inside of my Arcam BB DAC you asked for eons ago - sorry about that. Also, I wouldn't mind an opinion on a Sony amp I've acquired recently - it's this amp here:

never had sony amps, not to my taste . in the early 80s a sony tck 81 ?? cassette and it was stunning . in 2003 purchased sony SACD SA300ES GOLD player ,which I still have ,sacd still sound great and it looks as new . .the internal quality construction beats players of today . their 7inch r2r 377 was a decent too. repaired a few. They are under rated with sony of their gear

advertisement

Back