advertisement

Songs you remember because of the bass line

54-46 Toots and the Maytals.
Groove is in the Heart Dee-lite.
Killer Adamski & Seal.

The last two probably qualify as earworms.

'My Generation', The Who.

I bought 'Peaches'/'Go Buddy Go' when it came out, but it seems long lost along with 'Oh Bondage Up Yours', 'Gangsters' and all the other memories.

I saw the Stranglers twice, once in the 80s when they were doing deeply pretentious European architecture stuff and once in the 90s when they were just having tremendous fun with their back catalogue. The bass on 'Peaches' was one of those 'original sounds' that one's never really going to get close to.

Paul

Three songs spring readily to mind. 'Badge' by Cream, mysterious and wonderful, mainly due to George H's involvement.

'Dont give up' - Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush's excellent critique of Thatcher's desert making neoliberalism.

Talking Heads' first class 'Once in a Lifetime'.

Ha, beat that selection all you plodders ;)

redcogs, greying junior member...

Groove is in the Heart Dee-lite

Man, I forgot that one, I can remember fumbling on my bass guitar playing that one, simple and sounds good ;)

If I mention any of the other songs whose basslines are what comes to me first, I'll be crucified for admitting ownership of almost every Level 42 album :eek:

'Living it up' might be worth diggin' out for some retro action one evening.

Has anyone mentioned 'Sunshine of Your Love' - that's more like it.

Da-da-da-dah, dah, dah ,dah, da, dah dah....

:)

Yep - Badge.
Lots of Rush songs (Tom Sawyer, Cygnus X-1, Xanadu, Vital Signs, Red Barchetta, Free Will).
A few Yes songs (Close to the Edge, Long Distance Runaround).
Bach, by Jeff Berlin (nobody else can play that!).
Walking on the Moon, by the Police.
Not Fragile by BTO.
She's so Heavy, The Beatles.
When The Going Gets Tough, by Billy Ocean.
Get Into The Groove, by Madonna.
Come Back And Stay, by Paul Young.
Most of Level 42.
Some of The Jam.
Rat Trap, by who was the band Bob Geldorf was in?
The start of Highway Star, by Deep Purple.
The theme from Bullitt, by Lalo Schifrin.
And of course the Pink Panther theme, by Henry Mancini.

Paul,

That's a GREAT list, loads of Rush this end and it's hard to pick one from a list of greats.

Walking on the Moon though is just a great bass line, simple, but perfectly formed.

I'm in for a retro sesh tonight after that lot ;)

Andy

OK

Errr. Nope. Sorry I can't hear it. I've turned up the volume and everything - but nothing?

Pete

Originally posted by LesW
Free - Mr. Big - the IOW Festival version from the '70s

Les
I heard this track again only a couple of days ago, on a DVD of the the film 'The Ice Storm', an Ang Lee film. Excellent.

SteveC

Jethro Tull - Bourée - was it on Living in the Past album?
PF Money, of course
Camel - track from Mirage album

That's it. Pathetic memory really.

SteveC

Cool - someone beat me to Dee-lite (the album, World Clique, is pretty cool)... And some other man of taste mentioned Massive Attack's Blue Lines, and yet another mentioned Love's Da Capo...

Right here goes...

Last splash - The Breeders (easy to play and sounds great)
Line up - Elastica
Lessons in love - Level 42 (HOW fast and intricate is that?)
Little green bag - George Baker Selection (I used to be able to play that one - and Line up - up to a point)
Glory Box/that track off of Tricky's Maxinquaye (who nicked who??) - great bassline
Thank you - Sly and the Family Stone
Angel of mercy - Dire Straits (just for the instrumental break)
Unusual ceremony - Dark Soho (so it's psy-trance and not electric bass, but who cares)
Paperback writer - The Beatles (partly as they were worried the deep bass cut would make record players jump - that always cracked me up!).
The track off of Rumours (what the hell's it called) that they used to use for the Grand Prix music...
That creepy instrumental music from that Silas kids TV programme from the late 80s

That would be Chain by Fleetwood Mac.

Thanks for the input so far guys, great help keep them coming. This is going to help me win a 'discussion' with my girlfriend :D

Thanks

'this is going to help me win a 'discussion' with my girlfriend'

Come on VanceB, let us have the details!?

redcogs.

advertisement

Back