advertisement

Songs you remember because of the bass line

VanceB

Hi All,

What songs do you remember because it was the bass line that 'carries' the song along ?

Thanks

Vance

Charlie Mingus -everything! But especially Wednesday Night Prayer Meeting. Man, could that band swing.

"Walking on the beaches lookin' at the peaches..." The Stranglers

"Nice 'n' Sleazy" was another Stranglers tune with an evil bassline that's hard to forget.

Add to that virtually anything by Primus and "In Trance as Mission" by Simple Minds.

Finally, "Cannonball" by the Breeders.

Shurely not!

That splatty Precision sound was the main reason I listened to them in the first place! There'll be a definite late 70s feel the music in the house tonight.

This thread is getting me thinking about what else I have that's heavy on the bass. My 14 yr old has started playing bass and will listen to anything suitably agressive/funky/driving as fits the mood. This has thrown up some forgotten treasures from the collection and at least is getting her away from her staple diet of grunge/metal.

On a more up-to-date theme the White Stripes 'Seven Nation Army' really has a bass as a lead instrument.

Made me buy the album, anyway!

Grace Jones - The Fashion Show & Don't Cry - It's only The Rhythm, from Slave to the Rhythm.

Linx - There's Love, from Intuition, has a bass that sounds like an electric piano.

Buena by Morphine has a fantastically gnarly, growling bassline that seems to leap out of the speakers. Really primative and funky, and played on a two-string slide bass to boot!

It's from Cure for Pain, a lush, earthy, atmospheric classic. Go buy!

The Bogus Man - Roxy Music

There's not that much else going on apart from Enos wierd noises and Mellotron. (Man)

Love it

Geat to see yous guys here again BTW

International Pony - A new Bassline for Jose
(House)
P.J. Harvey - Down by the water
(Alternative)

Both not subtle, but great fun :)

Great Bass lines,

Bernadette, My Girl, Etc, Motown,

Anything James Jamerson played on, one of the best bass players in the world..

Must have some reggae in here. Armagiddeon Time will do nicely. You'll know the Clash cover and hopefully the Willie Williams original but Jamaican music recognises a good bass-line and there are probably hundreds of other versions of the Rockers Rock rhythm

www.baywell.ne.jp/users/ isshi/cover.htm[/IMG]

Country Music (A Night in Hell)

by Stuart Hamm on his 1988 "Radio Free Albemuth" album

(Stuart Hamm used to be Joe Satriani's bass player)

Chris

The Light pours out of Me

from the album Real Life by Magazine

+ lots of stuff by the Police

Stir it up - from Babylon by Bus, Bob Marley & the Wailers

advertisement

Back