advertisement

Songs you remember because of the bass line

Originally posted by VanceB
Now, being a wanna be Bass player, well actually I do play but not brilliantly, I took exception to this. To start with I mentioned the likes of Flea and Mark King and it went on from there....The bass and drums being the 'rock' that holds it all together etc, etc.

Yep - I used to be a bassist (want to be again - anyone got a cheap Aria Pro 2 going - I miss mine) and I've always maintained bass and drums ARE the band - the lead guitarist is the ego and dick waver of the band and the bassist and drummer actually do the work - you can live without rhythm guitar but not bass/drums on a full rock band I reckon :)

I used to be in a band, and I wasn't particularly brilliant on bass, but used to give it all that on stage (once I'd got into it - after about 5 minutes) and I'd be the only one jigging about the stage etc... We were looking for this new singer once, and she said at the end: "you lot are crap, but you've got a mean bassist" - I nearly died of shock!

I like the fact that a bass can make a building rattle as well - can a guitar do that? Not without pitchshifting - plus bassists have to be hardcore to be able to handle the extra size of their instrument - guitar is harder to play IMHO but bass is cooler...

AND - the piece de resistance - guitarists are 3000000 a penny - bassists are rarer and even if you're shoddy, you're normally in demand :)

Oh yeah - more basslines:
Happy Man/I want your love/Le Freak - Chic (most of their basslines kick arse)
Do the du - A Certain Ratio
Fools gold - Stone Roses

Can we include classical here? There's almost nothing better than a 32" pipe with air blowing over it to make the blood curdle.

Saint-Saëns - Symphony No. 3 "Organ".

Mick

Actually, I meant 32' pipe.

I used to have one of those, a cool black 5 string. Was a nice bass though, slim(ish) neck and easy to play.

Got a Dean 5 string now, along with a Fender jazz, and an Ovation acoustic. Would love to have a Rickenbacker, just can't justify that kind of expense :mad: I play these through either a Laney or Trace Elliot combo.

As to guitarists, well you don't really need 2 in a band to sound good, any decent guitarist should be able to double up as lead and rythmn, but as you say, you can do without the rythmn guitar anyway. And if the Drummer and Bassist don't lay down the foundations you don't need either :D

Another ex-bass player signing in, couldn't play for toffee though!
Bassliners...
Pixies – Gigantic
Joy Division – Ceremony
Red Krayola – Transparent Radiation
Salvatore – Easy
Mekanik Kommando – Picnic in the Castle Garden
Field Mice – Sensitive
Psychic Warriors of Gaia – Obsidian

Used to have an Aria Pro II.
Still got two Ricky 4001's.
Would really like a nice 5 string, like a Warwick or a Status.

Oh.......... Nirvana!!!!!!!!!

This thread forced me into a marathon listening session..........

Faves already mentioned; (most of the above really......)

Seal - Killer
Deelite - Groove is in the heart

Not mentioned (unless I missed them...)

Herbie Hancock - Rockit and Future Shock - Album Future Shock

Stanley Clarke - Play the Bass!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- Are you Ready?
- Speedball...............

Oh the whole bloody album!..... Time Exposure

Try it........... and believe......

pm

Yeah - my Aria Pro 2 was the normal 4 string with Maple (?) neck and black body - it was lush and only cost £230 so I was loving it! I only had some feeble 100w Carlsbro bass amp though. The dodgy practice rooms we used to use had Hi-watt and Laney bass amps but I'd love a Trace Elliot - my mate Vince has one (with a Yamaha bass) and the combo rocks...

Got another bass line - track 2 off of The Vapors' "New clear days" - quite funky. Not forgetting Aeroplane by Red Hot Chili Peppers :)

"Jealous Words" Danny Thompson on Richard Thompson's "The Old Kit Bag" - only problem I heard it live and had to upgrade system because it's inadequacies were so obvious.

"Timeslip" Jack Bruce from "Out of the Storm", Chris Spedding on guitar was none to shabby, but for me settles the "do you need a lead guitarist" debate.

Albatross -simple but perfect underpinning

"Solid Air" Danny Thompson (again) - best of all on the Norma Waterson's version on "The Very Though of You"

oh and pretty much anything by the Who, I never thought they would recover after losing Keith Moon, but now...

well that took a while to write, but I enjoyed every minute of it.

'Short Stories' off Perfect Crime - Ray Obiedo
'Crosstown Kids' from Larry & Lee - Larry Carlton & Lee Ritenour
'Chuck E's in Love' - Ricky Lee Jones - used to be one of my LP12 set up tracks
'On the Corner' - John Patitucci
'Refuge of the Roads' - Hejira, Joni Mitchell. One of several Jaco Pastorius tracks
'Parabola' off Lateralus, Tool
'Night in Tunisia' - What Cha Gonna Do for Me, Chaka Khan
'Just Right for Me' - Twennynine, Lenny White
'Summertime Blues' - Live at Leeds, The Who

Originally posted by Mark Packer
The Light pours out of Me

from the album Real Life by Magazine

Aha! Another Magazine afficionado.

Also: Back to Nature from Secondhand Daylight: a frenetic virtuoso from Barry Adamson drives this powerful booding masterpiece.

Chilli's: Parallel Universe from Cal....;how does he play SO fast?

My Spine (Is The Bassline) by Shriekback
Tommy The Cat by Primus
Blood Money by Nitzer Ebb
Sensoria by Caberet Voltaire
Notice Me by New Model Army
She Brings The Rain by Can
Copped It by The Fall

.... oh I could go on for ages :D

Which NMA album features Notice Me?

Their first album, Vengeance. Released on Abstract records in 1984. Has been issued on CD as 'The Independent Story' with a few singles from that period. See this AMG review HERE

Here's three terrible songs with great bass workouts:
Duran Duran - Rio
Rod Stewart - If You Think I'm Sexy
Grease soundtrack - You're The One That I Want.

<strikes a quasimodo pose and shrieks> "the Bells, the BellS!"

well for starters, anyway

The Police - hole in my life (particularly the live version from Police Live)

Talking Heads - Born Under Punches (The Heat Goes On) from Remain in light

The Cure - Play for Today from Seventeen Seconds

Shriekback - well, basically all of it!

Jah Wobble's Invaders of the heart - pretty much all of that too!

Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Suck my kiss from Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Prince - Kiss from Parade

Caberet Voltaire - Sensoria from Microphonies

The Cure - primary from Faith

need to wake up a bit more to unearth some more.

advertisement

Back