advertisement

Songs and Music That Make You Cry

Thinking of a Place by War on Drugs. An eleven minute epic that makes me remember my late parents who I lost within 3 weeks of each other two and a half years ago.

The song had no special meaning before but after they died, the lyrics seemed to make complete sense, it was as if my Dad was calling out to my Mum, his wife of 51 years, that he knew she couldn't settle in passing without him, so he'd be along to take her on the next journey, just as it had been in life together. 3 weeks later, he was on his way.

Gets me in a right mess that one.

Elgar's Enigma Variations Op.36: Variation IX Adagio ("Nimrod") always, always gets me. Such a wonderful, beautiful piece of music. Hearing the London Philharmonic Orchestra perform it was just incredible:

4wh8ZD5l.jpg

Saw Dunkirk in the cinema and must admit to shedding a tear when I heard this version:

Interesting to note that the thread 'Sad Songs' (which I wasn't aware of when I started this thread) differs on the whole with the recommendations from folks on this 'Songs and Music That Make You Cry' thread.
A generalisation, but maybe selecting a sad song would be a more objective judgement than a song or music that makes one cry.
Maybe they are the same thing?
I guess one persons 'sad,' could be another's 'not-so-sad.' So, just as subjective.

Once visuals / film / videos are added to the music, it certainly adds another level which is hard to ignore once seen.

Flicking through my soundtracks I came across the one that I forgot. I managed 3 seconds this morning before I made snot jump out my nose trying to hold the tears back... a good example of visuals and music working together and slaying all before it.

Obviously designed to rip apart the parent sat with child in the cinema. It worked on me as a child as well, distinctly recall seeing Dumbo with my mam.

'Pink Elephants On Parade' gave me nightmares for years

I remember the house lights coming on far too quickly in the St. Austell cinema at the end of Toy Story 3 - our children were exactly the right age to follow the story arc from their innocence in film one to studied indifference by number three.

Last edited:
Thinking of a Place by War on Drugs. An eleven minute epic that makes me remember my late parents who I lost within 3 weeks of each other two and a half years ago.

The song had no special meaning before but after they died, the lyrics seemed to make complete sense, it was as if my Dad was calling out to my Mum, his wife of 51 years, that he knew she couldn't settle in passing without him, so he'd be along to take her on the next journey, just as it had been in life together. 3 weeks later, he was on his way.

Gets me in a right mess that one.

If you don’t know it, I think you will like this:
https://poetryarchive.org/poem/eden-rock/

off the top of my head

Ride On
Roma Capoccia
Ci vorrebbe un amico
Ysbrid Solfa
Song for Ireland (Dick Gaughan)
We’re not over yet
Non è Francesca
Elgar cello concerto
Mae hen wlad fy nhadau
Core ’ngrato (Corelli)
E lucevan le stelle (Gigli)

all except for hen wlad fy nhadau because they remind me of people or situations.

advertisement

Back