advertisement

Songs and Music That Make You Cry

Way back in about 1995 I went to the Barbican and spent the whole day at a 'Sing With The Royal Opera,' event.

With the orchestra of the Royal Opera House, and Royal Opera Chorus, myself plus 500 + amateurs spent all day rehearsing a programme of opera choruses for a performance of a concert in the evening.
I spent the day stood/sat next to an old blind man who knew all the lyrics, which weren't in english.

The chorus that made me stream every time we sang it was Chorus Of The Hebrew Slaves from Nabucco (G. Verdi)

it still gets me. The sound of the multiple voices singing together I find most stirring.

- out of interest: I rode to the event, 170 miles (ish) on my yamaha FZ 750, did the whole day in black leathers, then, when leaving found my bike had a ticket on it just outside the barbican.

Who Knows Where The Time Goes, either the Fairport Convention original, or Nina Simone's possibly even more heartbreaking cover

You could put almost any sad song sung by Sandy Denny or Nina Simone. Meet on the Ledge, She Walks Through the Fair, and Strange Fruit all hit home. Some artists just have a direct line.

Sufjan Stevens - 4th of July. And if there’s anything left after that My Blue Bucket of Gold comes along a bit later to finish the job off.

Pretty much all of Carrie & Lowell really.
That album has sideswiped me a few times.

Oh and:

Instrumental electronica but somehow soaked with melancholia and ecstasy simultaneously. Almost like the music you would hear as you died...

Today I introduced my 9 year old granddaughter to the film, 'West Side Story.'

Crikey, there are many songs that flip me into 'snot out the nose,' ignore G-Dad, he is crying again mode. Also, just fabulous songwriting and the choreography is amazing too. Stunning.

10 Oscars. and the Marni Nixon backstory, and the Natalie Wood backstory... and the rest.

Pleased it's not just me that occasionally reaches for the tissues.

Listening to music on a upgraded system,hearing background that you've not realised was there sometimes brings on the waterworks.

This mortal coil- song to the siren
Anne Briggs- Willie o Winsbury (not sure why just does)
Richard and Linda Thompson - dimming of the day

Just for starters

Lots of great songs here and I would add 'Boulder To Birmingham' by Emmylou.

...and this bit makes me laugh and cry:

"Well you really got me this time
And the hardest part is knowing I'll survive"

So, most will know what this refers to but them that don't Google 'Gram Parsons death' - he really got her that time!

advertisement

Back