advertisement

Songs and Music That Make You Cry

Gandalf Murphy and the Slambovian Circus of Dreams - Talkin' to the Buddha
I saw them play at the Westy a few years ago with my great, late friend Malcolm. When they played this we looked at each other and grinned, we both instantly loved it. Each time I play it, it reminds me of him and all the good times we had.

Steven Wilson - Routine
Steven Wilson - The Raven that refused to sing.

The videos that accompanied these songs are soooooo miserable, they always bring a tear to my eye.

The afore mentioned Teenage Kicks

Black Swan Lane -Time
This will be one of my funeral songs.

Big learning curve today, again I admit I have never heard of Gandalf Murphy.

"I'm the cause of all this rain.. someone help me stop this rain..." then belting guitar. Fine song, and his voice doesn't put me off!
>

or Steve Wilson.

Steven Wilson - Routine

Jesus christ, that ripped me up. full sniff rating. Good voice. The loss that will affect us all at some point. I think the song without the visuals wouldn't have quite the same effect. Marvellous.

The Raven That Refused To Sing - this did nowt for me. Great video and musicianship.

Again, for me, I am ambivalent about my parents, so maybe not the same emotional strings pulled as others.

Notable that the piano is leading the way again, as with many of the pieces of music I have played this morning/afternoon.

I do like how John Lennon sounds soo increasingly angry as the song progresses, both of his parents seeming to be the target.

(Philip Larkin quotes in my head)

Yoko Ono winds me up as well.

Maaan, I need a rest from this rather challenging project.

I was also going to mention ‘Being Boring’. The lines that get to me most are:

‘Now I sit with different faces
in rented rooms and foreign places
All the people I was kissing
some are here and some are missing
(in the nineteen-nineties)

I never dreamt that I would get to be
the creature that I always meant to be
but I thought in spite of dreams
you'd be sitting somewhere here with me’

Kind regards

- Garry

Yup, every time it gets me.
Largely because it was played at two friends funerals in the same summer.

For me, the Pet Shops Boys finest moment.

I have two very diverse pieces of music that always get me.

The first is Bess, You is My Woman Now from Miles Davis Porgy and Bess. Its a wonderful album but I just love the bit from around 3:50 to the end.

The other is Feed the birds from Mary Poppins, a classic even though its Disney.

I have two very diverse pieces of music that always get me.

The first is Bess, You is My Woman Now from Miles Davis Porgy and Bess. Its a wonderful album but I just love the bit from around 3:50 to the end.

The other is Feed the birds from Mary Poppins, a classic even though its Disney.

Let's Go Fly A Kite - Mary Poppins.

I will dig out my Porgy and Bess, haven't played it for ages. Thanks.

Any bit of Rubber Soul can make me weep at it's perfection. Same with Pale Blue Eyes. Day in the life of a tree by the Beach Boys - I've always interpreted it as Brian's metaphorical chronicle of his own decline, even though it's someone else singing the lyrics.

Max Richter - On the nature of daylight. Gets me every time. Can't even hum the tune without getting a lump in the throat.

This is just a one-off.
Late one weekend evening.
Wine had been consumed.
Stevie Wonder live in concert on BBC4.
Doing "I just called to say I love you."!
Blimey he's good...turning schmaltz into gold.

Bonnie raitt, Bruce Hornsby
"I can't make you love me". Esp the live version.

another thread reminded me.

I still find it incredibly difficult to listen to The Next Day and Blackstar, (Bowie)

Definitely albums I will play to listen to as whole albums, with a fill up of my glass at the b-side interval. On my own, when I feel brave enough...

advertisement

Back