advertisement

SNAIC Upgrade Between Pre-Hicap or Hicap-Power?

There isn't a connection for this in Naim Connection Guide handbook. These are the only connections listed in the document.

NAC 282 + NAPSC + HI-CAP + NAP 250
NAC 282 + NAPSC + SUPERCAP + NAP 250
NAC 282 + NAPSC + 2 x HI-CAP + NAP 250
NAC 282 + NAPSC + DAC + NAP 200

Most importantly, the Hicap DR helps lift the system to a higher level of performance so it's rather mandatory to have it in the system.

You still have the hicap connected but all it does is is supply power to the preamp.

Pete

Hi Ryder,
Yes you are probably right but my thinking is that as I was always intending to try out a SuperCap (non DR) then the 2 snaics could be used there. Also 800 pounds is r.r.p I have Chord Anthem TA BNC, Chord Signature TA RCA - DIN and DIN - XLR and Chord Crimson Plus RCA - DIN that combined cost less than 800 pounds.
Hi Natara,
I wonder how you did it but if you managed to get two Chord Signature TA cables plus the other two Chord cables below £800, I'd say good job!

You still have the hicap connected but all it does is is supply power to the preamp.

Pete

Apart from supplying power to the preamp, the Hicap is the interface between the pre and power where the signal from the source goes from the pre, to the Hicap then to the power amp. Suffice it to say the Hicap is quite important and part of the system.

When I had some Naim stuff I made lots of different cables up some with two coax's for the signal and separate wires for the power, stranded cable, solid cable, Starquad etc, I found their wasn't much difference in all of them, the worst was solid Cat5 cable and Starquad.

The easiest one to make that sounded good was with stranded Cat5 patch lead its cheap as chips! and high purity copper and PTFE insulation.

DIN connections don't seem to need ****y wire and plugs that weight half a ton to sound good, my advice is to stick with what you have got, or buy a soldering iron and have a go your selves.

Pete

Apart from supplying power to the preamp, the Hicap is the interface between the pre and power where the signal from the source goes from the pre, to the Hicap then to the power amp. Suffice it to say the Hicap is quite important and part of the system.

Its not an interface its just some connectors, you still have the Hicap supplying the power, but the signal doesn't go through unnecessary connections and cabling.

Pete

Its not an interface its just some connectors, you still have the Hicap supplying the power, but the signal doesn't go through unnecessary connections and cabling.

Pete

Have a look at the diagram below. The preamp is not connected to the power amp. The Hicap is the interface between the pre and power as it connects the pre to the power.

Naim_Connections.jpg

The black-coloured line is a signal interconnect.
The green-coloured line is a power interconnect.
The black+green-coloured line is a signal and power interconnect.

Duh yes I know that is the standard way, but if you unplug the 4 pin to XLR from the Hicap and plug it into the 4 pin socket on the preamp you bypass the Hicap completely.

After all you don't run the signal through the NAPSC do you.

Pete

Duh yes I know that is the standard way, but if you unplug the 4 pin to XLR from the Hicap and plug it into the 4 pin socket on the preamp you bypass the Hicap completely.

After all you don't run the signal through the NAPSC do you.

Pete

As I have mentioned above, there is no such connection in Naim's Connection manual, to have the preamp connected to the power amp without the Hicap. If Naim does not have this connection in their manual, I presume it's either not doable or they do not recommend it.

That comment on the NAPSC is irrelevant in this context.

It works it's not recommended by naim.
I had a 62 and diy supercap and diy 135s, the 62 had 6 supply's fed from two in the supercap total l+r split, I ran separate 0v lines from the signal 0v and reg 0v to the supercap and signal straight to the 135s.

Now I have a Starfish and Hackernaps.

Pete

Ryder, Naim don't recommend it and it's not in any of their connection diagrams. Les at Avondale does, and will provide the required cables - as will Flashback, Witch Hat et al. It's cheap to try and prevents the signal getting routed into a power supply and straight back out again. Given the efforts we take to separate signal and mains that seems sensible.

It's easy enough to do with the 4 pin to XLR cable - just plug it into the preamp instead of hi/supercap. Note this won't work with 4 pin input amps because you'll end up with power supplies fighting each other - and that's why you need a custom cable. The 135/250/300/500 doesn't have this issue.

Is there anyone, I mean ANYONE who has replaced the stock Naim SNAICs with the Chord Signature TA on the 282/HCDR/250DR? None?

I am currently on the fence, undecided whether to get one or two of these cables for the system. I just need someone to tell me that these cables will bring an appreciable difference to the system, and whether both SNAIC 5-pin DIN or 4-pin DIN/XLR are equally effective in bringing a tangible difference to the system.

No, I am not able to try the cables.

Never mind. I have decided to go with the Chord. Nigel Finn responded by saying there were many users who had found the Signature TA 4-pin DIN to XLR interconnect to make a huge difference to the system. The same goes for the Signature Tuned Aray 5-pin DIN SNAIC. With a complete loom of Signature Tuned Aray the system is said to perform at its best.

It looks like I would just have to try the cables and figure it out myself. It is perplexing that nobody has tried the Chord Signature TA when Chord suggested otherwise.

ryder,
I for one will be very interested in what those Chord snaics sound like, I will as promised report the difference my Chord S TA DIN - XLR makes. PS. SevenOakes HiFi are selling DIN - XLR Chord S TA on eBay for 450 brand new with warranty from Chord intact.

Natara,
I would surely be interested in your views. Do update on the differences once you managed to listen to the Chord Signature TA DIN-XLR.

Thanks for the information on the low prices of Chord cables by Sevenoaks on eBay. I have more or less confirmed on the purchase so it won't matter anymore. With shipping and taxes added in (I am not in the UK), the cost is about the same.

One thing I noticed is the RCA plugs of the cables sold by Sevenoaks are different from mine. The one sold by Sevenoaks are in the common red and black coloured plugs while mine are in white.

Sevenoaks:-
s-l1600.jpg

Mine bought last year:-
IMG_20170126_215249.jpg

When I went on Naim system, I appreciated to avoid lot of questions about cables, I tested lot of cables in the past, and do not wish to do that again...

I've not tried Signature "Snakes" (as Chord call them) or Din-XLRs but the Sarum versions I have used in a 552/300 system were substantial and thoroughly worthwhile upgrades.

Most bizarre, perhaps, was the massive increase in the meaning and intent behind the musical performance that came about after replacing the stock Naim Snaic between the 552 and 552ps. I took a borrowed version over to, sometimes PF contributor, Gary Shaw's to see how it sounded on his 552/500-based system and he placed an order the next day!

I'm sure you'll be more than delighted when you get your new set.

Cheers
Dave

Natara,
I would surely be interested in your views. Do update on the differences once you managed to listen to the Chord Signature TA DIN-XLR.

Thanks for the information on the low prices of Chord cables by Sevenoaks on eBay. I have more or less confirmed on the purchase so it won't matter anymore. With shipping and taxes added in (I am not in the UK), the cost is about the same.

One thing I noticed is the RCA plugs of the cables sold by Sevenoaks are different from mine. The one sold by Sevenoaks are in the common red and black coloured plugs while mine are in white.

Sevenoaks:-
s-l1600.jpg

Mine bought last year:-
IMG_20170126_215249.jpg

Yes I too have the white plugs on my rca - din don't know if there is a discernible difference but Chord obviously must have thought so. Also I have read on the Naim forum that the Signature TA can be upgraded by Chord to Super TA but it isnt cheap 500 pounds I believe is it 500 pounds better probably a bit rich for me.

advertisement

Back