advertisement

SNAIC Upgrade Between Pre-Hicap or Hicap-Power?

ryder

pfm Member
System : NAC 282 - HCDR - NAP 250 DR

For those who have tried, which aftermarket cable will bring a more noticeable improvement over the stock Naim cable in this setup:-

1. SNAIC 5-pin DIN to 5-pin DIN between the 282 and HCDR, or
2. SNAIC 4-pin DIN to XLR between HCDR and 250 DR

I notice the SNAIC between the 282 and HCDR is carrying both signal and power while the SNAIC between the HCDR and 250 DR is only carrying signal.

Naim_Connections.jpg

Replace your interconnect first, my Dad had standard Naim cables and upgrade his Din to Dinn connector from his CDS3 to his 252 for a TQ cable and the difference phenomenal.

Thanks for the post. I already have the Chord Signature Tuned Aray RCA to DIN connecting the Chord QBD76 DAC to the NAC 282 and yes, it's lovely.

I actually wanted to replace the stock Naim cable (SNAIC 4-pin DIN/XLR) to the Chord Signature Tuned Aray DIN/XLR but just figured out there's actually another cable between the NAC 282 and HCDR. Upon further investigation, this 5-pin DIN SNAIC carries both signal and power. I am not sure which cable will bring more tangible gains, the 5-pin DIN or 4-pin DIN/XLR.

If the difference between the Chord and stock Naim cable is negligible, I will retain the standard Naim cable for the particular connection and purchase the Chord for the other connection. Of course, the cable would have to be capable of revealing a marked, if not significant difference.

according to Witch Hat audio, the cable carrying the power and signal between Hicap and 282 should be changed first.

I appreciate the information. Right, so this is suggesting that this cable is more important than the other cable, the 4-pin DIN to XLR between the HCDR and NAP 250 DR.

Great. I might have to purchase two of these Chord Signature TA cables, and the cost of both cables will be greater than a Hicap DR. Anyway, as you have said, the cables form part of the system so they shall not be overlooked.

Since I am done with the amps (they are staying, permanently), I might just do this last cable upgrade. Hopefully I will perceive a (marked) audible difference with both cables.

Currently listening to some really nice jazz fusion music with all standard Naim cables. Sounds great. The Chord Signature TA will be the icing on the cake if they can bring further gains to the system.

By the way Analog, I saw your Powerline thread on the Naim forum. Although I have not tried any Powerlines, my experience is the same as Drewy's. I have some leftover aftermarket power cords (Virtual Dynamics Nite II, Wireworld Electra 7 and couple more) from my old pre-Naim days. I did not find any appreciable difference between all these cords including standard Naim cords. The VD Nite cord might sound a smidgen more dynamic, subtle though, when compared to the other cords, but the rest all sounded almost the same to my ears.

Personally I wouldn't spend too much time or money on power cords. Speaker cables and interconnects, yes. Since i am surely on the way to spending more money on them. :)

the Naim power line is a big improvement I have one.

By the way when you get the STA DIN-XLR you might be a bit underwhelmed, as Chord Cables take 200 hours to run in.

Once they are on song, wow, it's a different cable !

Once I've heard a Naim/Tad mega bucks setup

All cables were Chord Sarum and it was dreadfull horrible

Most Naim setup I've heard using standard Naim cables did not screw the tonal balance but provided a nice musical experience

I doubt 200 hours or 200 weeks of run in will change this.

No idea what the Tad speakers did to scenario:cool:

the Naim power line is a big improvement I have one.

By the way when you get the STA DIN-XLR you might be a bit underwhelmed, as Chord Cables take 200 hours to run in.

Once they are on song, wow, it's a different cable !

I thought you have the Vertere DIN-XLR? Or you did try the Chord Signature TA DIN-XLR? Did you replace both 5-pin DIN between the 282 and HCDR and 4-pin DIN-XLR between the HCDR and 250DR? If yes, may I ask what cables did you replace both with?

Good to hear the Naim Powerline is a huge improvement in your system. It appears that I don't have much luck with power cords.

the vertere also needed 100 hours at least to come on song.

I have some chord brand new interconnects - clearway Aray, the running in is very long for this one, at least 200 hours.

and before it runs it, it can sound quite horrible.

I haven't replaced the SNAICS yet.... but will do so soon.

Thanks for that. This will be by far my biggest cable expenditure if I end up with the Chord Signature TA for both pre-Hicap and Hicap-power connections. Both cables can buy me a Proac Tablette 10 with spare change. I would have overspent on cables but since the 282/HCDR/250DR is my "final destination", I just thought of treating the amps with some exotic wires, the final upgrade for the main system.

The Chord Signature TA RCA-DIN between the DAC and 282 brought a fairly subtle difference when compared to the equivalent Flashback cable. I hope the difference will be a notch higher with the SNAIC and DIN-XLR at the end of the NAP 250 DR.

You could try bypassing the hicap and connecting the pre to the power directly so the signal doesn't go through extra connections and cable.

Pete

You could try bypassing the hicap and connecting the pre to the power directly so the signal doesn't go through extra connections and cable.

Pete

Makes perfect sense, if we accept that a cable can't (shouldn't?) 'add' anything to the signal, then why subject the signal to anything other than the most direct path possible? Certainly worked for me in a previous system.

I've tried exactly that (bypassing the Hi-Cap and going straight from the pre to power) - it's been advocated by Les W for some time. In my system I preferred the usual Naim way with the signal going via the Hi-Cap. It's easy to try though and you can get the required cables quite cheaply from Flashback cables.

I am awaiting the arrival of a used Chord Signature TA Din - XLR to go between my Dual TeddyCap and my Nap 250 like Ryder I have the Signature TA RCA - Din between my 2Qute and my 282 and really loved that so am hoping the Din - XLR will bring similar upgrades. I'm leaving the upgraded to cables from 282 to Dual TeddyCap to last as it uses 2 Snaics and will be twice as expensive so Im waiting for some used ones to come up used. I will however report on how the C TA Din - XLR works out.

Pete

There isn't a connection for this in Naim Connection Guide handbook. These are the only connections listed in the document.

NAC 282 + NAPSC + HI-CAP + NAP 250
NAC 282 + NAPSC + SUPERCAP + NAP 250
NAC 282 + NAPSC + 2 x HI-CAP + NAP 250
NAC 282 + NAPSC + DAC + NAP 200

Most importantly, the Hicap DR helps lift the system to a higher level of performance so it's rather mandatory to have it in the system.

I am awaiting the arrival of a used Chord Signature TA Din - XLR to go between my Dual TeddyCap and my Nap 250 like Ryder I have the Signature TA RCA - Din between my 2Qute and my 282 and really loved that so am hoping the Din - XLR will bring similar upgrades. I'm leaving the upgraded to cables from 282 to Dual TeddyCap to last as it uses 2 Snaics and will be twice as expensive so Im waiting for some used ones to come up used. I will however report on how the C TA Din - XLR works out.

I think a single run of Chord Signature TA costs more than the Dual Teddycap. It might be an overkill to use two of those cables with the Dual Teddycap. Having said that, I am also in a rather similar situation since the Hicap DR is not really that expensive anyway with a retail of £1,329. Two runs of Chord Signature TA would have already cost more than the Hicap DR (£800 x 2). Yeah, it's an expensive hobby especially if someone is infatuated with cables.

I would be interested in your experience with the Chord Signature TA DIN-XLR once you have it between the Dual Teddycap and NAP 250.

Hi Ryder,
Yes you are probably right but my thinking is that as I was always intending to try out a SuperCap (non DR) then the 2 snaics could be used there. Also 800 pounds is r.r.p I have Chord Anthem TA BNC, Chord Signature TA RCA - DIN and DIN - XLR and Chord Crimson Plus RCA - DIN that combined cost less than 800 pounds.

advertisement

Back