advertisement

SME Model 6

What a horrible looking contraption. I'd not be at all surprised if this didn't mark the beginning of the end of SME as we know it.

These days it is no longer good enough to trade on an old well known brand name. You have to make exceptional products. Great design, great build quality and great performance.

Last edited:
Can you plug that thing on the right into your train set as well?

£6k for that, depressing.

Prefer the traditional look of the not black, original m2-9 tbh, great arm when it was priced right.

Last edited:
SME must have done a reasonable amount of tonearm only sales. By restricting those sales to now only full SME Turntable packages means that those profits must now come from the SME Turntables. The vinyl replay market is relatively small already in the context of the bigger replay source picture. Normally, a business wants to open itself up to the biggest markets it can for sales, but SME have gone the other way and wants to be a smaller niche and deny many potential customers the choice of buying a new SME tonearm to use on their choice of deck. I don't think the lights will go out for many many years on vinyl replay equipment, but it might become a problem for SME Audio to survive in the market.

It's a damn shame, ARA will be turning over in his grave, from a company whose audio division primarily produced quality tonearms for 60 years it beggars belief that the new owners made this decision.

Potential SME 6 buyers...DO NOT WIKIPEDEA SEARCH 'PHONELIC RESIN'.
Ok you will anyway now so I'll save you the time.
'Another use of phenolic resins is the making of Duroplast, used in the Trabant automobiles'.

hahahahaha. Oh dear. I mean. it's fine stuff and probably excellent as a material for SME's purpose, but this association, you don't need, although, it is poss that the only bits of a Trabant to survive were the PR bits. :)

trabby by John Dutfield, on Flickr

A Trabant looks better than this heap of design junk.

e8.jpg

Hmmmm. a touch of the Tr Herald there...never owned one of either, but did have a TR6 for a few months. NOT a car to commute in.
Anyway back on track, I can see what SME intend and conclude that their Market research team avoided all HiFi websites. Otherwise it will certainly sound quite fine, and there must be plenty of people to whom a name means more than good design, so bon chance to them. If this helps the 'proper' ones stay in production ten that's fine by me.

Still nowt on their website product or news pages which just seems strange. I don’t do social media usual suspects so no idea if they are pushing on FB or Insta.

I do think it unfortunate that the overall shape resembles a cheap USB deck, however, as expected, it does appear very well engineered in those closeup pics.

WRT tonearm adjustment, those acorn nuts, and the angle of the line between them, would suggest there to exist a bit of adjustment possibility via short slots and an oval hole within the round metal mounting plate. With such short slots, one would hope that the line of travel is biased toward the apex of the inner null.

What a horrible looking contraption. I'd not be at all surprised if this didn't mark the beginning of the end of SME as we know it.

If l was SME employee now l would be s-------g bricks at the moment their business model of late is ridiculous.:(

advertisement

Back