advertisement

SME Model 6

Apart from the arm I wonder how much is made in Steyning.

Do you think all of the arm is?

That PSU looks like it came out of Dr Frankenstein's lab and the rest of the deck just looks... shite. An amorphous blob from a company built on precision. Sad.

Unlike the SMEs before this abomination, I cannot see any engineering substance to justify the amorphous form. What were they thinking?!!

Looks a sold thing up close and you know it will be built rock solid. I'm sure it will have the SME house sound which I am a fan of.

I'm hoping it looks better when more photos become available, especially in situ.

Being very compact will probably help with its "presence" (or lack thereof) too.

Didn't the M2 arm come with a traditional sliding SME mount? I see this one is just a pillar and collet.

I'm hoping it looks better when more photos become available, especially in situ.

Being very compact will probably help with its "presence" (or lack thereof) too.

Didn't the M2 arm come with a traditional sliding SME mount? I see this one is just a pillar and collet.
It did yes, but we hope SME have put this arm in the right spot :) I guess it typifies the market that they are aiming at. This is a good name buy for wealthy vinylistas, but not, maybe, for HiFi enthusiasts.

That new Model 6 is very bland and dull looking all in black. It might be very good, but as with cars, people also buy on looks and appearance.

The SME Synergy looks like it could have been modelled on a set of kitchen scales:

kLSeBgVjqxVhMrYq6kdBz7-1200-80.jpg

And the badge/typeface execution is totally different.

Really poor lack of consistency. As someone else said, it's sad when they had these things absolutely nailed on previous models.

The details; logos, radii sizes, finishes, forms, really do count to ensuring the brand is coherent.

SME are on a roll, just recently doubled the price of their Series V arms & then withdrew them from sale, now this.

That new Model 6 is very bland and dull looking all in black. It might be very good, but as with cars, people also buy on looks and appearance.

The SME Synergy looks like it could have been modelled on a set of kitchen scales:

kLSeBgVjqxVhMrYq6kdBz7-1200-80.jpg
I have the model 10A. Personally I think its ugly to look at. The performance was what I bought it on.

SME have seemingly taken the decision to be (even more of) a niche/high end manufacturer towards the likes of Simon Yorke. Whilst it doesn't make sense to me, they obviously want to be in that kind of market and have even chosen to restrict their tonearm sales to all SME Turntable packages only. Because sales will now be at a lower level, you will pay an even larger premium for that. I think it's madness. They are chasing less sales for more profit...

Not on the SME website, I sure hope it’s fake news cos it looks like a pile of cr*p, either that or their Web guy took one look, went holy sh1t and buried it.

Not on the SME website, I sure hope it’s fake news cos it looks like a pile of cr*p, either that or their Web guy took one look, went holy sh1t and buried it.

I think it's embarrassing that SME cannot even get their website updated before the news came out.

I see it's for sale on a few retailers sites, so either they've been taken in by the fake news, or this is a genuine SME product.

advertisement

Back