advertisement

SME Model 6

Yank

Bulbous Also Tapered
https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/sme-model-6

QzuZoSscR6KLJquBFNUywU-970-80.jpg

Not really affordable when you can get a used Model 10 for around 1/3rd of the price... The Model 10 RRP was around £3-4k IIRC?

I quite like the design, but why with this kind of TT, would you NOT want a dust cover, for the tiny extra that it would cost to build one in?

I like the black M2-9 arm though, had one on a Gyro SE and it was superb!

daft design...huge control box, ugly cheap looking bit of connecting wire...the basic M9 arm ( I own one, it's good but that prices the rest of the deck way way up there).
Hmmm. In the habds of a good designer, this could have been special...at £3000 less.
hey ho. No doubt the name will sell a few thousand out east?

I always really liked the contrasting platter mat colour on SME’s, this looks really cheap.

It is up against some very stiff competition, Rega P10, LP12, Well Tempered etc

That What Hi-Fi? review is full of irony, considering they start out with listing a price range of £6295 / $8404, and then go on to suggest how the price doesn't warrant such tech as heavy machined slabs of aluminium for the plinth, nor the 'elegant ‘O’ ring suspended sub-chassis arrangement', substituting instead a resin plinth and squidgy feet.

"This all new deck still looks every inch an Sme". Mmm... only the arm hole and head shell do.

Winner of alternative fact of the day.

Think their design team have lost the plot a bit - what on earth is that 'model' badge under the tonearm all about? The profile of the arm-board recess, the whopping badge on the front, the proportions generally speaking - it all looks a bit like the result of an engineer using CAD for the first time. Older SME products like the 10, IV, V, 3009, 309, have a purity to their form which is difficult to find fault with, I imagine they might have been hand-draughted.

I also find the Model 12 rather odd - the PSU just looks like someone playing with shapes on CAD again.

Last edited:
Looks tiny, With the platter going right to the edge's, and the mat looks like my Bib mat.

Not really affordable when you can get a used Model 10 for around 1/3rd of the price... The Model 10 RRP was around £3-4k IIRC?

I quite like the design, but why with this kind of TT, would you NOT want a dust cover, for the tiny extra that it would cost to build one in?

I like the black M2-9 arm though, had one on a Gyro SE and it was superb!

When the Model 10 was introduced it was under £3k, it doubled ( or more) in price during its production.

The all black M2-9 is lovely, I had a M2-10 tonearm shortly after they were released and prefered it too the IV.

Funny, SME have nothing on their website about this model yet.

Perhaps they are waiting for the What Hi-Fi? comments mob to talk it up first.

Is it April already?- That looks two bob that does- going to sell my SMEV in protest.

Please that is a joke isn't it?

Is it April already?- That looks two bob that does- going to sell my SMEV in protest.

Please that is a joke isn't it?

I was wondering if it was April.

What a bland boring piece of rock or crock, not much spent on the visual design, 6K for this. Hope it sounds 6K.

It would look better if the platter was twice the thickness and smooth and a different colour like othe SME tables.

I’m gobsmacked to be honest.

The SME Model 6 proves suitably capable. It doesn’t have the exuberance of the hugely talented and cheaper Vertere DG-1 or quite the musical fluidity of Rega’s excellent Planar 10, but the 6 offers an attractive blend of precision, stability and composure that many will like.
Both are half the price with cartridge & dust cover

advertisement

Back