advertisement

Sideways Uni-Pivot Arm, SUPATRAC Blackbird, formerly "Ekos Killer (Price?)"

Having followed the development both on this forum and on Andrew’s, this was one of my “must see” at Ascot on Saturday.
I looked at it, heard Richard’s design philosophy spiel, and listened to the beast itself (Technics TT & AT cart?? R., please correct - I was in the second row and eyes ain’t so good these days!!)

My thoughts?

I have the utterly magnificent Zeta on my Sondek. For the first time in twenty+ years, I would consider a change of tonearm.

Yes it is that good.

So how can I swing this past the Financial Director.

So how can I swing this past the Financial Director.

Add up her last twenty years of hairdressers' bills and show her the total ;-)

It was great to meet you and Everton, another pfishy, and all our visitors. Finally on the last afternoon I got the blue Garrard 301 going with a RigB VM540 which sounded wonderful. We had several visitors come back to spend some time in the room in the last hour of the show which is a good sign, and feedback has been very gratifying. Thanks for your kind comments.

Yes, you heard Technics SL-1210G, Blackbird Farpoint, Audio Technica AT33Sa (kindly loaned by Audio Technica), Linn Uphorik, Creek OBH-12, Behringer A800, KEF The Reference Meta standmounts (kindly loaned by KEF).

It has been extremely enjoyable sharing some music appreciation time with fellow fanatics and pfishies and I can't wait for the next one. I won't be at Daventry, sadly.

I wish I could've made it to the show but unfortunately woke up in the middle of the night Saturday morning feeling very bad, hot & sweaty refrained me from going. I contemplated Sunday but still felt it was a shot to far :( Maybe next weeks show :)

Get well quickly. I'm sorry you weren't able to visit. I won't be at Daventry I'm afraid - I posted on that thread by accident thinking it was the Ascot thread o_O

Get well quickly. I'm sorry you weren't able to visit. I won't be at Daventry I'm afraid - I posted on that thread by accident thinking it was the Ascot thread o_O

That's a shame as it's been very well attended, plus for me I was hoping to see, and hear this. Not to worry.

Having followed the development both on this forum and on Andrew’s, this was one of my “must see” at Ascot on Saturday.
It was on my list too for last Saturday in Ascot even though I no longer maintain a means to play the vinyl I still have.

It was refreshing to find an all-too-rare room where it seemed to me that the quality of the product's function was the highest priority, instead of its (all-too-often unnecessarily costly and of questionable taste) form.

I am an enthusiast for good quality engineering. Well done @sonddek!

I know what you mean about the Kronos. Not a fan of the look, but love the sound (and it’s nothing like as good if you disconnect the contra-rotating platter so no idea what the hell is going on there).
I’d like to hear a Blackbird on the Grand Prix Audio table. Still a very pricy deck but just about conceivable. I’ve heard one with the Kuzma and it’s stunning too.

Maybe you could visit Roy Gregory's listening room in France.

I would also like to hear a Blackbird on a GPA deck because I admire their approach - real engineering solving measurable problems. The way things are going, this might happen sooner than expected.

Add up her last twenty years of hairdressers' bills and show her the total ;-)

It was great to meet you and Everton, another pfishy, and all our visitors. Finally on the last afternoon I got the blue Garrard 301 going with a RigB VM540 which sounded wonderful. We had several visitors come back to spend some time in the room in the last hour of the show which is a good sign, and feedback has been very gratifying. Thanks for your kind comments.

Yes, you heard Technics SL-1210G, Blackbird Farpoint, Audio Technica AT33Sa (kindly loaned by Audio Technica), Linn Uphorik, Creek OBH-12, Behringer A800, KEF The Reference Meta standmounts (kindly loaned by KEF).

It has been extremely enjoyable sharing some music appreciation time with fellow fanatics and pfishies and I can't wait for the next one. I won't be at Daventry, sadly.
Hello dear fellow yes it was FANTASTIC to meet the "Dude" behind this (and it REALLY is people,shock horror lol) WONDERFUL tonearm!
Richard I could`ve spent my entire time just in your room I didn`t get round to being a "real geek" with you as the other two guys I was with are not on "that level" of hifi(read "geekyness").
You truly are a fascinating man and someone who had my INSTANT RESPECT! - I could`ve listened to you all day you know you`re a really funny guy,right?
I didn`t have the chance to mention that the last time I heard a technics 1200 (at any length) they were playing 90`s hip hop - and that WAS back in the 90`s. Even though we didn`t get to hear Mr Oizo - "Flat Beat" (my mate clocked that one at the front of your pile & thought it was a real banger lol),Louis Armstrong`s "St James Infirmary" sounded soooo Good in fact one of the best things I heard!
Mate I sincerely wish you all the best with your product/s and will endeavour to hear/see them and you again sometime thank you from a humble hifi enthusiast...

I've announced the 'Farpoint' revision to the Blackbird. There's a press realease on the web site. If anybody has any questions feel free to ask.

It's called Farpoint because the new pillar scheme positions the pivot point about a centimetre further from the spindle than the previous scheme, which placed the pivot at the centre of the arm board hole. There are many arms which abandon the convention that the pivot be at the centre of the arm board hole, and I decided that the changes in spindle-to-pivot length when the arm pillar is rotated are easily compensated by cartridge movement or pivot extension. Advantages to the new scheme are that the pillar is stiffer and more universal across different mounting schemes, making the Linn, Rega, SME, Jelco, VPI and Brinkmann pillars the same part. Unfortunately it still looks like a future ARO mount will need a custom pillar.

Other advantages are that room was made for a transport bolt which immobilises the suspension of the arm. This means that the arm and pillar are shipped as one structure, making installation less daunting. You just drop the arm/pillar into the collar/base, get VTA about right, tighten the pillar lock bolt and then remove the transport bolt and spacer to enable the arm suspension.

The adjustment of suspension hoist length is now fixed to the arm itself, not the pillar. This means that azimuth adjustment does not involve a potential change in hoist length. Setting hoist length and setting azimuth are now independent. The left and right hoists are now one continuous line which is knotted around a knob, significantly reducing the length of hoist in the suspension. Since all materials are elastic to some extent, even the unforgiving hoist braid, it seemed to me to be good practice to minimise it, even though I don't know whether any reduction of elasticity in the hoist suspension is audible.

Since the hoists are suspended from a knob, it is now possible to screw the hoist knob further into the pillar, giving easier and more accurate control of the relative extensions of the suspension point and the pivot point. It's now much easier to adjust the pivot backwards or forwards to make small changes to spindle-to-pivot distance.

The knob and pivot are now M5 instead of M4, which I could do because the pillar is broader.

Aluminium sleeve has been added at the arm-tube thrust box junction and at the headshell end. They increase stiffness and make machining of the carbon fibre arm more reliable meaning that fewer arms end up in the bin!

None of these alterations change the fundamental design of the Blackbird and its bearing. I do not know if I could distinguish a Blackbird and a Blackbird Farpoint from each other by ear.

Since the spindle-to-pivot distance is extended by a centimetre, Farpoint arms have about a centimetre of extra effective length. The Linn compatible Blackbird Farpoint has an effective length of about 239mm, not 229mm. The Rega version has an effective length of about 247mm instead of 237-239. Twelve inch Farpoint Blackbirds have an effective length of about 315mm. If you're a believer in the theory that longer arms are better, that extra centimetre on the same deck is an advantage.

The new thrust box has a series of arm junction holes 5.5mm apart, so it is possible to convert a Rega-length Blackbird Farpoint for use on a Linn-geometry deck simply by unbolting the thrustbox and shifting it up the arm by 11mm. There may be a bit of futzing with the wiring when doing this, and a centimetre or so of arm may protrude beyond the thurst box at the back until you cut it off, but it does mean that if you buy a Rega-length arm you can use it on a Pro-ject, Linn, or other 211mm geometry in the future. It also gives you some leeway for adapting the longer arms to unusual cartridges or decks if you discover the need.

This does mean that Farpoint arms are not compatible with the original Blackbird bases and vice versa, since the lengths will be wrong.

As I said - fire away if you have any questions.

What geometry do you tonearms use ? Stevenson? Baerwald? Loëfgren? Or does it vary depending upon length/model?

What geometry do you tonearms use ? Stevenson? Baerwald? Loëfgren? Or does it vary depending upon length/model?

You can specify Stevenson or Baerwald when ordering, although Baerwald often enables Stevenson by sliding the cartridge backwards in the slots and adjusting the angle slightly. I assume Baerwald is wanted except with Rega length arms, because Rega's own arms are probably closer to Stevenson than Baerwald.

Obvious question - does it fit the same armboard cut out?
Yes - good question, thanks for asking. The new base has holes at 24mm for Linn arm boards, through holes at 20.3mm for new Rega plinths, and SME slots. In the case of SME slots, four bolts attach a bracket underneath the slot, so movement is slightly reduced compared to normal, but you still get a centimetre or so each way.

Basically it's the same as before, except that the pillar is ~16mm rather than 25mm, and the pipe which descends through the arm board is 22mm outer diameter which is how it can be compatible with Rega, Linn and SME arm boards.

Here's a picture which shows the sleeve at the rear of the arm, and if you look close you may be able to see some more of the Farpoint changes, in particular the vader and the vader gate inside the thrust box, which are the mechanism for adjusting hoist length.

sharp_gun_on_blur_white.jpg

Here's a picture which shows the sleeve at the rear of the arm, and if you look close you may be able to see some more of the Farpoint changes, in particular the vader and the vader gate inside the thrust box, which are the mechanism for adjusting hoist length.

sharp_gun_on_blur_white.jpg

Nice and congrats, even at first glace this tonearm has come a long way from Ekos Killer Price? days.

Haven't read all the posts here - what are the cables now? Doesn't look very flexible at the bearing end - looks must be deceiving... :)

I've seen the Fremmer video, was there any review published in serious hi-fi press? I think time is ripe.

Howdy Howdy?

The arm's internal wiring is still silk-covered 30AWG copper Litz. It's very flexible at the arm-pillar junction and has no significant effect on bias or downforce. I recently wired an arm with very pure solid silver single core for a customer. It sounded nice, but I really can't say that I preferred it to the standard wiring. I would need to do extensive listening to see whether I had a slight preference one way or the other. The practicality of the copper Litz is better as it is certainly more flexible and reliable. To be honest, I found wiring the arm with the silver wire to be a pain in the neck, and I'm probably about to raise significantly the price for custom wiring because I have a backlog and custom wiring seems to slow me down quite a lot, for little performance gain or loss, if any.

I don't know if you would call it serious, but Roy Gregory did a very thorough review here:
https://gy8.eu/review/breaking-the-sound-barrier-again/

Chris Beeching did a shorter review for The Ear here:
https://the-ear.net/review-hardware/supatrac-blackbird-lets-the-vinyl-soar/

I'm about to send an arm to Michael Fremer - just awaiting the delivery of rubber underwear to put in the flight case ;-)

I think Hifi+ and Hifi News reviews are now on the cards as both have expressed interest. A Hifi News review will finally include a lab test.

If all goes well I'm lining up some nice surprises for Munich next year too.

advertisement

Back