Bose QC25
Sennheiser HD202
Sony MDR-V150

Through

Chord Mojo
Myryad Z40
Topping A50S/E30
Koss amp

Better half is away for the day so time for a showdown and a little pruning...

Last edited:
DJGa9ZT.jpg

Sennheiser HD660S
Sennheiser HD595 Ovation
Sennheiser HD600 (arrived yesterday)
Koss ESP 95X
AKG K702
Bose QC25
Sennheiser HD202
Sony MDR-V150

Through

Chord Mojo
Myryad Z40
Topping A50S/E30
Koss amp

Better half is away for the day so time for a showdown and a little pruning...

Which one of your headphone amplifiers do you prefer?

As mentioned earlier, I'm in the process of modding my Fostex T50s - using the many examples online as guide.
They sound very good - some nice bass thwack with rock, etc. .... and are already much more comfortable than the stock version.

Now with completed suspension - much better than the stock with it's awkward angles, less pressure on my poor ears too :)

Fostex T50 mod
by mik tec, on Flickr

Some more rubbing down and layers of varnish at some point - but otherwise very content.
Sound and comfort now on a par with my HD600 but some extra kick in the bass region ....

Might put up a thread with details of build at some point (made far too many pics along the way...)

Meze make the most scrumptious cans in the biz. Take a gander at 109 Pro, Empyrean and the Elite. Quite impressive from a small Rumanian outfit.

Reactions: RoA
Thank you - I take it they sound as scrumptious as they look?
(I may add them to my 'next desirable thing' list)

I like them a lot. It took a bit of adjusting fit but once there, they are a lot of fun. As most headphones, a bit of EQ and the results are even better.

Now with completed suspension - much better than the stock with it's awkward angles, less pressure on my poor ears too :)

Fostex T50 mod
by mik tec, on Flickr

Some more rubbing down and layers of varnish at some point - but otherwise very content.
Sound and comfort now on a par with my HD600 but some extra kick in the bass region ....

Might put up a thread with details of build at some point (made far too many pics along the way...)

Excellent workmanship and those pads look super comfortable.

Took a while to get here. Lived very happily with various Stax setups for many years until one day the wife decided that she didn't want to put up with leaky cans any more.
Sold the Stax. Bought an Aurorasound HEADA and Fostex TH900mk2s. Dumped the HEADA after a year or two due to reliability issues and decided to go "all in" and get an EAR HP4, after a demo with a pair of HD800s. The TH900s were a bit disappointing after that, but I had to stick to closed cans.
Finally tried the DENON 9200s which are massively better than the TH900s in just about every way and I think almost as revealing as the HD800s. Certainly, they are a fantastically well-balanced set of headphones and a great all-rounder.

Took a while to get here. Lived very happily with various Stax setups for many years until one day the wife decided that she didn't want to put up with leaky cans any more.
Sold the Stax. Bought an Aurorasound HEADA and Fostex TH900mk2s. Dumped the HEADA after a year or two due to reliability issues and decided to go "all in" and get an EAR HP4, after a demo with a pair of HD800s. The TH900s were a bit disappointing after that, but I had to stick to closed cans.
Finally tried the DENON 9200s which are massively better than the TH900s in just about every way and I think almost as revealing as the HD800s. Certainly, they are a fantastically well-balanced set of headphones and a great all-rounder.
I have, and love the same set of Denons, after trying many high end closed cans. On the look out for an amp, did you try many others with them? The EAR is endgame quality, thinking about trying a Benchmark HP4 as it would double as a pre with my Dynavector power amp.

Hi All

Now that we have a dedicated Headphone Room on PFM let's start with a “Show Us You Headphone(S)” thread.

This is my current collection, nothing uber exotic but a collection of notable benchmark phones that are considered standards and reference points.

The AKG K501 (top left) are currently using the Dekoni velour pads since the original AKG pads disintegrated a long time ago. At the moment they are my favorites.

source

And the Headphone amplifier collection. The Fiio K5 was acquired for use with a PC as it has its own on-board AKM DAC with USB, Optical and Coaxial inputs as well as old school RCA analogue inputs. The bottom beige box is a DIY studio series originally published by Silicon Chip magazine. It's line in only but it has very low distortion, heaps of power while also being able to swing a large voltage output making it able to drive just about anything.

source

Happy listening.

LPSPinner.
Is the little headphone amp bottom right from Kenable, I use this for my Sennheiser HD 600 and it does a smashing job for little money.

Is the little headphone amp bottom right from Kenable, I use this for my Sennheiser HD 600 and it does a smashing job for little money.

Hi Gregory.

I’ve just googled Kenable, yes, it is. I purchased mime from an Aussie electronics outlet called Altronics. The battery-pack on top is my own tweak as Altronics sell a switched 4 x AA battery holder that has a flying lead and plug fitted as well, so my unit runs off the battery supply making it a little more “pickup and go”. The actual headphone amp is a generic unit that gets sold all over the world under various “House” brand names.

You are right about the value proposition, Mine cost about $Aus 50.00. Inside is an LM4808 headphone amp chip using the standard datasheet circuit but increases the output coupling Caps to improve the Bass response. It’s a cracker of a unit and has enough voltage swing and gain to drive all my all phones from my Sony MDR7506 right up to the 600 Ohm DT880s. Likewise with my HD600s, they are happy to be driven by the little unit as well. I usually use mine with my iPod Classic if I just want a simple setup to chill out and I’m away from the big HiFi rig.

Enjoy.

LPSpinner

Reactions: RoA
Hi Gregory.

I’ve just googled Kenable, yes, it is. I purchased mime from an Aussie electronics outlet called Altronics. The battery-pack on top is my own tweak as Altronics sell a switched 4 x AA battery holder that has a flying lead and plug fitted as well, so my unit runs off the battery supply making it a little more “pickup and go”. The actual headphone amp is a generic unit that gets sold all over the world under various “House” brand names.

You are right about the value proposition, Mine cost about $Aus 50.00. Inside is an LM4808 headphone amp chip using the standard datasheet circuit but increases the output coupling Caps to improve the Bass response. It’s a cracker of a unit and has enough voltage swing and gain to drive all my all phones from my Sony MDR7506 right up to the 600 Ohm DT880s. Likewise with my HD600s, they are happy to be driven by the little unit as well. I usually use mine with my iPod Classic if I just want a simple setup to chill out and I’m away from the big HiFi rig.

Enjoy.

LPSpinner
Yes I was surprised how good it sounds compared to the Arcam SA20 headphone input, I'll use it for a bit longer as I'm just getting used to the senns, I use mostly closed back headphones and I've only had the 600s a week but so far I'm liking what I hear through them.

All the best Gregory

advertisement

Back