advertisement

Show Us Your Headphone(S)

LPSpinner

pfm Member
Hi All

Now that we have a dedicated Headphone Room on PFM let's start with a “Show Us You Headphone(S)” thread.

This is my current collection, nothing uber exotic but a collection of notable benchmark phones that are considered standards and reference points.

The AKG K501 (top left) are currently using the Dekoni velour pads since the original AKG pads disintegrated a long time ago. At the moment they are my favorites.

source

And the Headphone amplifier collection. The Fiio K5 was acquired for use with a PC as it has its own on-board AKM DAC with USB, Optical and Coaxial inputs as well as old school RCA analogue inputs. The bottom beige box is a DIY studio series originally published by Silicon Chip magazine. It's line in only but it has very low distortion, heaps of power while also being able to swing a large voltage output making it able to drive just about anything.

source

Happy listening.

LPSPinner.

Started last year with Chord Mojo/Poly and 7hz Timeless, then Dunu Vulkan………Sundara and Truthear Zero. Think I prefer the 7hz Timeless out of all of them.

AirPods Pro 1 & 2 and Airpod Max. AirPods Pro 2 are fantastic, not entirely sure why I need the mojo 2/poly & iems/headphones?

52238448275_891ac2cd44_b.jpg

52252132063_d476db71a2_b.jpg

52303496849_b5f9ef2407_b.jpg

52364149753_9bc86e0936_b.jpg

My current headphone family.

4FU1jNF.jpeg

Clockwise from top left...

Audioquest Nighthawk, Monolith M1060, MrSpeakers Mad Dog, AudioTechnica SR5BT, BQEYZ Autumn IEMs, Oppo PM-3.

I'm not convinced so far of the efficacy of "serious" dedicated headphone amps.
I recently bought and sold a Feliks Echo OTL amp.
I currently use FiiO E11K and A3, Neoteck Ntk106, DOUK U4.

52602408948_7883353b5b_b.jpg

Here’s mine: Sennheiser HD600, HD414, & Momentum II, AKG K450, some Sony Sports Walkman headphones with the CD Walkman, a WMD6C Walkman Pro, and a 1980s ‘Can Opener’. I’d have included the iPhone 13 but I was taking the picture with it! I’ve also got a pair of Koss PortaPro somewhere, but no idea exactly where.

My bunch:

headphones
by mik tec, on Flickr

Clockwise from bottom left:
Senn Momentum (wired)
Lindy Cromo (crazy buds!!)
Fostex T50RP - currently being modified ;)
Senn HD600
MA650 IEMs (bluetooth)
Senn ear buds (very old)
Even 'can't remember model' (bluetooth) - used in the other room for TV.

In the background is the RPi4/RME combo I mainly use - with occasional support from the Mac/Audirvana/TV tuner.

Also have a pair of Nuraphone boxed somewhere ... don't like them :(
... and an old Senn pair in the garage I use for makeshift ear defence :D

Started last year with Chord Mojo/Poly and 7hz Timeless, then Dunu Vulkan………Sundara and Truthear Zero. Think I prefer the 7hz Timeless out of all of them.

AirPods Pro 1 & 2 and Airpod Max. AirPods Pro 2 are fantastic, not entirely sure why I need the mojo 2/poly & iems/headphones?

How do you find the Airpods pro 2 compare to the Max for sound? Tried the Max in store but not heard the Pro2's

How do you find the Airpods pro 2 compare to the Max for sound? Tried the Max in store but not heard the Pro2's

I prefer the AirPods 2 over the max for sound quality, there's more detail in the mids and the low end appears to have greater separation, you forget your wearing/using them and the addition of volume control is very handy albeit not as easy as using the crown wheel on the max for small adjustments.

As mentioned earlier, I'm in the process of modding my Fostex T50s - using the many examples online as guide.

My first attempt at wood cups turned out not too bad, some false starts and 'hindsight' rectifications along the way, but will do for now.
Currently in the process of changing the headband and suspension system and contemplating the next iteration as 'open backed'....

Fostex T50 wood
by mik tec, on Flickr

They sound very good - some nice bass thwack with rock, etc. .... and are already much more comfortable than the stock version.

I don't suppose some caring and thoughtful mod would like to insert a p and an r in the title of the thread?
@Tony L

Many thanks would ensue.

I don't usually suffer from OCD but... :confused:

advertisement

Back