advertisement

Should Scotland be an independent country?

Should Scotland be an independent country?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Here is a comment by Steve67, putting England down.

"Don't worry Colin, in the post brexit sunny uplands JLR will rush back to the newly created low wage, low cost, low regulation economy of Newcastle and Wearside where labour costs are lower than anywhere in Europe."

I'll bet anyone a grand 2:1 on that this does not happen. It's negative bollocks, putting England down.

The minimum wage in Romania is not even 500 euros per month.

Rich, if you can't spot an obvious joke when you read one you should give up now. It's black humour. It's the use of an extreme that won't happen (a joke) to illustrate a (serious) point being made about something that will happen. That's how black humour works. Brexit WILL make Newcastle and Wearside poorer. This has already happened. No, it won't make it poorer than Romania, obviously. However it will be poorer. It is already and we haven't even left. This is not putting Britain down, this is science fact.

Rich, if you can't spot an obvious joke when you read one you should give up now. It's black humour. It's the use of an extreme that won't happen (a joke) to illustrate a (serious) point being made about something that will happen. That's how black humour works. Brexit WILL make Newcastle and Wearside poorer. This has already happened. No, it won't make it poorer than Romania, obviously. However it will be poorer. It is already and we haven't even left. This is not putting Britain down, this is science fact.
Brexit rocks.

And don't be racist.

Last edited:
The Lairds of misrule: the men of straw. (Taken from The Wicker Man: the
Laird of Summer Isle)

A scurrilous, anecdotal cautionary tale from a vitriolic venal voter.

I’ve always had a love/hate relationship with my birthplace, none more so than at this juncture.
Born in Dumbartonshire 1960, moved south in ‘82 returned in 2017 to an omnishambles clusterfuck of governance, presided over by pygmy intellect superannuated councillors promoting value driven banality and preservation of mediocrity.

Given the SNP’s stewardship of Education (if only we could indict) and especially the NHS up here, dirty water being the latest health related debacle and sadly responsible for a fatality, the £45 million loan to a near billionaire shipping magnate (U.K. domicile but SNP supporter...), the class A drugs do work but the policies don’t, speaking of track records the abominable service that is the Borders Railway - a very cheap away day infrastructure, no emails for public scrutiny from the First Minister’s office, the wholesale squandering of public monies (the shipyard order and laughable dual lingo railway signs...Disney exist - there isn’t even a word in Gaelic for Haymarket - still nothing sells up here like regressive romanticism), rubber stamping of wind farms against the wishes of environmentalists and local populace, the relentless harping on about Scotland’s past - former success being no guarantee towards future prosperity, the fudged employment figures, why anyone would place their trust with a body of barely accountable, atrociously poor decision makers is beyond the pale.

Truly, if we could see our parochial selves as others see us.

Reduce the steering committees, focus groups, QUANGOS, lobbyists as they have an inordinate degree of influence. Install the checks and balances that used to be in place to monitor all those interested parties...yes, the SNP allowed the above to remove powers from the lobbying register thus allowing further manipulation. That is a special kind of stupid and stupid is as stupid does.

Is Scotland being operated as a proto-fiefdom or a thiefdom by a burgeoning kleptocracy?

Hubris does for many an elected majority as Scottish Labour found out and the Nationalists time will come soon enough.

Strategic non-implementation: They have been very quick to announce media attention seeking initiatives (I prefer headline orientated expediency) without a fundamental understanding of the cost implications when in reality rolling out many of these programmes is beyond them, why let inconvenient fiscal diligence intrude...shoot from the lip first....for example the Hydrogen bus: no capitol to facilitate a Hydrogen production site much less Hydrogen refilling stations....typical SNP a million guns and no bullets.

Let’s not even mention the baby boxes...

It is ironic that the Nationalists seek further devolved powers yet fail to enact many of their own.

Please refrain from using “the people of Scotland...” as if it is your right to speak on behalf of us, if you really must why not “some of the people of Scotland...”

The referendum: please accept the majority result from 2014 and you’ll be looked upon as a mature party.
The ubiquitous chippiness, the moanifesto, the neverendumb.
Next time we’ll let 16 year olds vote...see the previous comment about education.

I also believe that you have to be extremely skeptical about a party who essentially define themselves by seeking division...not “anti English but pro Scottish”...all the Bonnie Scotland bullshite, do you recall Settler Watch intolerance or the antics of the UltraNATs?
It must gall them to their core that much of the rest of the U.K. is more innovative, radical, inclusive and progressive.
Ten years of excuses, “wisnae us, s’them” simply will not wash, imagine ffs if they really got their hands on power.

Sturgeon is at best a romancer, at worst a chancer and a substantial core electorate clearly understand this. She is the great proselytiser, the zealot in chief, the face of independence who can’t sell it to the majority: call it cult of personality disorder.
Is her vision the only version of an independent Scotland?

Notable supporters: Mr Sean Connery, Mr Alan Cumming standing MPs for Marbella and Manhattan respectively.

Much prefer No Government by Nicolette rather than any by Nicola Sturgeon.

Here’s to us who’d want to be like us?

SNP don’t believe the hype, third raters the lot of them.

Andrew Neil on tv basically asking Sturgeon the same stuff I’m asking the nationalists here. As expected, a load of shite in reply. They don’t want to admit what they are.

The Lairds of misrule: the men of straw. (Taken from The Wicker Man: the
Laird of Summer Isle)

A scurrilous, anecdotal cautionary tale from a vitriolic venal voter.

I’ve always had a love/hate relationship with my birthplace, none more so than at this juncture.
Born in Dumbartonshire 1960, moved south in ‘82 returned in 2017 to an omnishambles clusterfuck of governance, presided over by pygmy intellect superannuated councillors promoting value driven banality and preservation of mediocrity.

Given the SNP’s stewardship of Education (if only we could indict) and especially the NHS up here, dirty water being the latest health related debacle and sadly responsible for a fatality, the £45 million loan to a near billionaire shipping magnate (U.K. domicile but SNP supporter...), the class A drugs do work but the policies don’t, speaking of track records the abominable service that is the Borders Railway - a very cheap away day infrastructure, no emails for public scrutiny from the First Minister’s office, the wholesale squandering of public monies (the shipyard order and laughable dual lingo railway signs...Disney exist - there isn’t even a word in Gaelic for Haymarket - still nothing sells up here like regressive romanticism), rubber stamping of wind farms against the wishes of environmentalists and local populace, the relentless harping on about Scotland’s past - former success being no guarantee towards future prosperity, the fudged employment figures, why anyone would place their trust with a body of barely accountable, atrociously poor decision makers is beyond the pale.

Truly, if we could see our parochial selves as others see us.

Reduce the steering committees, focus groups, QUANGOS, lobbyists as they have an inordinate degree of influence. Install the checks and balances that used to be in place to monitor all those interested parties...yes, the SNP allowed the above to remove powers from the lobbying register thus allowing further manipulation. That is a special kind of stupid and stupid is as stupid does.

Is Scotland being operated as a proto-fiefdom or a thiefdom by a burgeoning kleptocracy?

Hubris does for many an elected majority as Scottish Labour found out and the Nationalists time will come soon enough.

Strategic non-implementation: They have been very quick to announce media attention seeking initiatives (I prefer headline orientated expediency) without a fundamental understanding of the cost implications when in reality rolling out many of these programmes is beyond them, why let inconvenient fiscal diligence intrude...shoot from the lip first....for example the Hydrogen bus: no capitol to facilitate a Hydrogen production site much less Hydrogen refilling stations....typical SNP a million guns and no bullets.

Let’s not even mention the baby boxes...

It is ironic that the Nationalists seek further devolved powers yet fail to enact many of their own.

Please refrain from using “the people of Scotland...” as if it is your right to speak on behalf of us, if you really must why not “some of the people of Scotland...”

The referendum: please accept the majority result from 2014 and you’ll be looked upon as a mature party.
The ubiquitous chippiness, the moanifesto, the neverendumb.
Next time we’ll let 16 year olds vote...see the previous comment about education.

I also believe that you have to be extremely skeptical about a party who essentially define themselves by seeking division...not “anti English but pro Scottish”...all the Bonnie Scotland bullshite, do you recall Settler Watch intolerance or the antics of the UltraNATs?
It must gall them to their core that much of the rest of the U.K. is more innovative, radical, inclusive and progressive.
Ten years of excuses, “wisnae us, s’them” simply will not wash, imagine ffs if they really got their hands on power.

Sturgeon is at best a romancer, at worst a chancer and a substantial core electorate clearly understand this. She is the great proselytiser, the zealot in chief, the face of independence who can’t sell it to the majority: call it cult of personality disorder.
Is her vision the only version of an independent Scotland?

Notable supporters: Mr Sean Connery, Mr Alan Cumming standing MPs for Marbella and Manhattan respectively.

Much prefer No Government by Nicolette rather than any by Nicola Sturgeon.

Here’s to us who’d want to be like us?

SNP don’t believe the hype, third raters the lot of them.

now then, you've left me in some doubt, a certain...uncertainty, about your erudite pov. are you saying that you WON'T be voting snp? i feel you should clarify

quiz time, chipmonks. what produced 90mw of power in its initial, poc phase, 400mw of power in its 2nd phase and has the potential to produce almost 2gw of power as a final, first-build install. all without any visible structure or infrastructure. a joint venture, funded in large part by the eu (£7m), and a further £50m in funding jointly from govt uk, decc, se, hie and a lesser amount from private investors. this will take the tech beyond poc and into production. wind farms are passe mes amis.

quiz time, chipmonks. what produced 90mw of power in its initial, poc phase, 400mw of power in its 2nd phase and has the potential to produce almost 2gw of power as a final, first-build install. all without any visible structure or infrastructure. a joint venture, funded in large part by the eu (£7m), and a further £50m in funding jointly from govt uk, decc, se, hie and a lesser amount from private investors. this will take the tech beyond poc and into production. wind farms are passe mes amis.
Scottish windpower before everyone had a deep fried mars bar versus after?

I personally can't think of anyone from south of the border who votes for the snp. Neither can I think of anyone who comes from outwith the UK who voted for brexit. There are lots from both camps in scootland and to be sure, I know quite a few from both camps. A curious dichotomy that I have no doubt is of sufficient influence in certain constituencies to affect the vote one way or another.
I work with a few from down south who vote for the SNP.

Pentland Firth Tidal power plant.

Pentland Firth Tidal power plant.

quite right. i'd hope that the continued success of the technology eventually takes over from wind-farm development as a sustainable and ecologically sound energy source. that being the case, we would ultimately become an even greater energy-rich country with the ability to export on demand. aiui scootland currently(!) exports over 4000gwh and increasing that would make us one of the major net exporters of energy in northern europe. i have no doubt that going forward, energy production is going to become a continent-wide issue. i foresee for example northern europe being supplied largely by joint tidal ventures and southern europe by a trans-med connector to arrays in the northern sahara, alongside those already in production in southern france and italy. all tickety boo.

of course, we may yet still all end up huddled round guttering wood-burners :)

advertisement

Back