advertisement

Should I Buy These Isobariks?

My experience is ATC owners spend 90% of their budget on their speakers.

Isobarik owners spend 95% of their budget on their record player.

Draw your own conclusions..
My experience is that many ATC owners moved from Isobariks and have an Orbe at minimum and often an SME, a natural partner.

What would Isobariks cost now if Linn still made them ?

Thats an interesting quest

They were launched 50 years ago
Were they £1000 at the beginning ?
Discontinued 20 years later at maybe £2500-3000 ?
Thats 30 years ago

I have zero knowledge to their current speaker range, so help me guess.

They were their flagship speaker....given Linns current pricing strategy I imagine the the price they would charge today for Briks would be eye watering.

This thread is going in bloody circles.

Briks are brilliant and are probably better than 95% of speakers on this planet. They sound great and they really do bass. They just communicate music in an effortlessly manner which is what we all want.

They are omnidirectional and can be placed anywhere without worrying about a sweet spot. The only caveat is that they sound miles better when stood right up against a solid brick wall. Plasterboard just will not do and don't ponce about with toe in, it makes no difference, so up against a brick wall pointing straight out. They sound very good in passive mode.

They like biggish rooms and also like firing across rather than down. Mine were 7ft apart.

The only downside is that they look a bit pipe and slippers in a 1980s sort of way and wives tend to dislike the appearance. My missus said they look the sort of thing an old man in a worn out pullover and trainers would use.

If you want a similar sound with a smaller speaker then get ye some Shahinian Arcs that will sound almost identical.

That's it so you now know it all.

They were their flagship speaker....given Linns current pricing strategy I imagine the the price they would charge today for Briks would be eye watering.

No doubt.

I wonder does there exist a detailed writing with pictures how and how many they did build back then ?
Given its five decades ago I'd imagine some old fashioned hand-made methods (not meant in a bad way)

Given todays massive production speed I assume at that time very few were made per day ?

I just realized these speakers were Linn's first product, not LP12 !
Back in mid-70's, were Mr. Vereker using these speakers in his Nap development ?

According to Wikipedia ...

"Linn was founded by Ivor Tiefenbrun to produce the Sondek LP12 turntable. The company's logo is the simple geometric representation of the 'single point' bearing which was the USP of the LP12 turntable."

The Isobarik came along a couple of years later.

Good Evening All,

I suspect very few people have listened to a pair of late Isobariks driven by a Linn Klimax streamer c/w Exactbox and three stereo SE amplifiers in active mode in a room where said speakers are positioned where they should be and all aided and abetted by SO along with adequate amounts of sound absorbing materials and more than a little experimentation to arrive at something pretty optimal???

I've no doubt there will be better speakers out there but, as I said to Graham this morning (and have said elsewhere on this forum) the Isobariks are a speaker that keep on giving as you improve what gets put in to them. If I may paraphrase Ivor's old mantra if the signal isn't getting to the speakers then they can't play it.

Mike - You still have a difficult decision as these speakers will need money spending on them and therein lies a rabbit hole you may not wish to fall in to.

Regards

Richard

There is a pair at a dealer in Markham. They don't mention any problems with tweeters. Regardless, they are asking top buck for them but they have been on Canuck Audio since Dec 20th. Perhaps make them an offer ..........

I have just remembered that after my Briks were gone I home demmed Shahinian Arc and really enjoyed them. I decided I couldn’t afford them at the time but think they would have given me a big sound in a much more convenient package.

advertisement

Back