advertisement

Should I Buy These Isobariks?

That does resonate with my ruminations. There seem to be multiple factors/methods ways to create "scale":
  • Volume! - This can do it, but I've heard speakers produce it at lower volumes.
  • Fast transients - Efficient speakers tend to do this well, as to horns which are typically efficient.
  • Big speakers - These are often more efficient, so perhaps the prior point covers this.
  • Big/Sub Woofers - Bass seems to necessary for a sense of scale.
  • Omnidirectional / many drivers - If you bounce the sound everywhere, then you get more scale at the expense of imaging.
There are various speakers that we've been discussing that use these strategies:
  • Isobariks seem to take the bass + many drivers approach, which is probably why they're accused of not creating a good soundstage (or at least not enabling pinpoint imaging).
  • Shaninian, Larsen, and Ohm go the omnidirectional route, and aren't known for their imaging.
  • Klipsh speakers are large, efficient, and horn-loaded (although their horns are accused of sounding colored).
In order of priority, I require:
  1. Rhythm and dynamics (a.k.a. PRaT)
  2. Soundstage (and hopefully good imaging)
  3. Practicality/WAF (I prefer it to be as small as possible, and fairly close to the wall)
  4. Scale (so I'm immersed in the music)
I have 1-3 now, and I would like more of 4. Perhaps Isobariks will do this without forcing me to give up any/much of what I already have. And perhaps they won't.

Therein lies the challenge. :rolleyes:
Something from JBL with a 12 or 15” woofer? Or Altec if you want to go vintage. (But you should just buy the Yamahas)

I was planning to see the Isobariks tomorrow, and I called them today so they could be prepared (as they requested). Well they hummed and hawed, and asked if I could come in a few days instead. They weren't moved by the fact that I'm from out of town myself, bringing along a friend who's only here for the day. :mad:

We'll still drop by the shop, perhaps just to winge in person. :p

If they're still available the next time I'm in Toronto, then maybe I'll try again. By then I may have finished my PFM Specials, and be completely content without the Briks.

All the Neat MF range, and Momentum, are Isobarik, probably good value now and worth a look. Best of luck with your specials.

Well we went by Audio Excellence, and as promised they wouldn't let us hear the Isobariks, although they did let me hear the MoFi SourcePoint 10 and some very expensive Sonus Fabers. Neither of them WOW'ed us.

Then we went by Audio Connexion (a.k.a. with Parts Connexion). They were much more accommodating, giving us ample auditions of the Fyne F501SP, Klipsch Cornwall IV, and PS Audio Aspen FR20. All were very capable speakers, but both my friend and I thought the Cornwall IV won the day.

My only problem with the Cornwall is that it's MASSIVE. It's really my dream speaker, not disappointing in any way except for its size. I think I'm going to finish my PFM Special, and if I'm not sufficiently content with them, then I'll buy the Cornwall.

I think I'm going to give up on the Isobariks. It was enjoyable getting to know more about them, but it seems like the stars aren't aligned. Thanks to everyone for your input! :)

Why wouldn't they "let" you hear the isobariks ?
Even though I called ahead the day before as they requested, they said they were too busy preparing gear for a show. The prior visit was another excuse. I'm clearly not a priority for them, and I'm tired of trying to make it work. Especially compared to the time and attention spent on me (twice) at the other shop!

PS Heresys can sound great on the end of a nice EL84 or EL34 valve amp IMO, even SETs. My main problem with them is they sit so low it feels like you are looking down on everything (they need the floor reinforcement to deliver any bass). Get them setup well and use a nice valve amp and they can sound big, fast and agile, I looked at mine as ‘big floor Kans’ as they shared many traits aside from needing a totally different system.

Interestingly, now I have my second pair of Heresy IIIs and I sometimes think of them as 'big floor n-Sats'... n-Sats, SBLs and Heresys having been the only speakers to work fine in my living room.

advertisement

Back