advertisement

Should I buy an EV - real world advice needed.

As i may have mentioned the recent which car guide and focus on life with an EV had a numbercraving about how they love their Teslas

Journeys of 300+ miles will always be necessary. For some, it will be a weekly occurrence (I had a job like that for 20 years), for others it will be once in a while, perhaps only for the annual holiday.

Here in Swizzieland, an EV would be fine for us - but then, I think of the annual long haul from Basel to Belfast.
Both these posts make my point - journeys of 300+ miles aren’t “necessary” now - a conscious choice is made to make that trip.

The annual haul is a self-imposed choice.

People are viewing electrification of transport from a perspective of continuing life as is - this is not the right approach.

Regards

Richard

Both these posts make my point - journeys of 300+ miles aren’t “necessary” now - a conscious choice is made to make that trip.

People are viewing electrification of transport from a perspective of continuing life as is - this is not the right approach.

Regards

Richard

It may not be, but that range-need will be another obstacle to adoption on top of what now looks like a challenging used market and high insurance premiums.

Regards

Richard
Once you go down the “necessary” route you then question whether a car is necessary for many. Personal EVs are probably just the next part of our journey to changing how we move around…ie not owning cars at all.

This is part of a lifecycle. How long have ICE cars been owned by the majority of the adult population? Arguably around 60 years. Personal EVs might make 20 years, then shared autonomous vehicles….perhaps…purely a guess.

I’m not sure the word ‘necessary’ means what some posters think it means. It isn’t a synonym for ‘essential’.
Absolutely, there’s a hierarchy of needs such as Maslow defined. Even “need” doesn’t equate to “essential” but then we have to analyse the definition of essential….. eg I’m sure there are some who deem Botox as being essential.

Essential = absolutely necessary, extremely important. This is subjective and dependent on individual circumstances. We also have what’s necessary for society as well as personal necessity.

"Necessary" is also (at least currently) heavily determined by location. If you live in London with lots of transport options than a car is less of a necessity for most than if you live in a remote village which only gets 2 buses a week and is 15 miles away from the nearest town (which also probably doesn't have great transport links).

"Necessary" is also (at least currently) heavily determined by location. If you live in London with lots of transport options than a car is less of a necessity for most than if you live in a remote village which only gets 2 buses a week and is 15 miles away from the nearest town (which also probably doesn't have great transport links).
I could theoretically use public transport to get the 21 miles from my house to my place of work, both of which are near huge cities on major rail lines. It would involve two 40 mile train journeys doubling back out of Central London. But if I have to drive it I can use my EV, and I can charge it on a low-carbon renewable tariff.

To go back to my examples, I had a job in sales which required me to visit customers regularly, with product on board, and those customers ranged, literally, from Lands End to Wick. You can't visit 10 customers in a day, with quarter of a ton of textbooks and other sundries, using public transport.

And nobody has to go on holiday, so holiday travel is not essential. And we could all go only to places that are well-served by public transport, but if we did, then the public transport would be under a bit of a strain. And those places without good public transport would decline.

So 'necessary' = 'reasonably necessary and justifiable', IMHO.

Indeed, but a very practical one, from the point of view of transporting stuff to and from there, plus the comfort and pleasure angle - I enjoy the drive across France and the ferry trip (beats being stuck in a tube of metal with all the hassle of airports, not to mention the sheer awkwardness of getting to Belfast by air - connections are terrible). As @Tony Lockhart said above, life has to be worth living.

The logic of your position, taken to extremes, appears to mean that we shouldn't travel very far at all, for pleasure at least. Things might well eventually come to this, of course, but as St. Augustine said, Lord, make me chaste - but not yet.

And life has to be worth living
Something that seems to become lost in alot of these debates.

Personally, I don't believe humans will ever accept a transport paradigm based 100% on shared transport modalities, irrespective of how flexible those systems become. Humans like their own space, and most people will prefer to travel alone (or with friends/immediate family only), than with complete strangers. You only have to observe human behaviour on public transport systems to know this, nobody interacts more than is absolutely necessary with those around them.

Therefore, IMO there will always be a requirement for individual personal transport. The "car" isn't going anywhere any time soon, it's drive system is irrelevant to that.

To go back to my examples, I had a job in sales which required me to visit customers regularly, with product on board, and those customers ranged, literally, from Lands End to Wick
How long did you spend there compared to the drive? More extensive destination charging would probably take out the need for some fast DC charging and effectively extend the useable range of a lot of cars.

Something that seems to become lost in alot of these debates.

Personally, I don't believe humans will ever accept a transport paradigm based 100% on shared transport modalities, irrespective of how flexible those systems become. Humans like their own space, and most people will prefer to travel alone (or with friends/immediate family only), than with complete strangers. You only have to observe human behaviour on public transport systems to know this, nobody interacts more than is absolutely necessary with those around them.

Therefore, IMO there will always be a requirement for individual personal transport. The "car" isn't going anywhere any time soon, its drive system is irrelevant to that.

Yes, I agree. Personal transportation will just become increasingly expensive relative to income. Seen the cost of cars these days?!

How long did you spend there compared to the drive? More extensive destination charging would probably take out the need for some fast DC charging and effectively extend the useable range of a lot of cars.
Well yes, probably. But that just goes to my post a few pages back, which is that it's the infrastructure that needs to catch up, and that needs to happen before widespread adoption. Cart before horse at the moment.

I’m a luddite! The charging loss is a surprise though and news to me. As Harry says, it’s like spilling 10% of the fuel you buy.
Doesn’t matter much if you generate and store your own, but that’s a lot of ‘waste’. I bet the three and four car families would step back from that for a think.

advertisement

Back